JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is an adiquit amout of AR-15 magazines for one person. (Per person per AR-15 (.223/5.56))

• Total voters
From the files of Mr. Obvious. Thanks for letting us know it's ok with you if we don't challenge your style. Yeah, not going to happen. Some will, some won't. That's life.

Again, it is how you ask, not the questions themselves. You prompted some good discussions, I'll give ya that. I just would have been more happy if I knew I was participating in a discussion rather than trying to help you figure out real answers to real questions. :( I feel icky afterwards.
If you don't like how I ask you did not respond. But if you have constructive criticism I am completely open to that

They are real answers to real question. How many mags do you think is enough is a real question.
I don't want to read thru all the posts because I'm lazy that way...

How many mags is enough would have to be based upon the motive behind the question.

Zombie Apocalypse...as many as you can buy and load
Range practice...a couple 10 or 20 rounders should be adequate
Not too hard to figure out from my end...I buy as many as I want

Military guys can comment on this one, but it's my understanding the typical load is (6) 30-round mags, but they may have the option of more close by.

BTW...as you can clearly see in my avatar, I only carry one mag because I'm a really really amazingly good shot. :)

Last Edited:
How is it a bad question? Pretty straightforward. How many mags Oregon do you think is enough. Pretty simple question. Or are you going to depend on this depends on it depends it depends. Generalized question are not meant to be over complicated. When somebody asked me what too much horsepower for a daily driver is I don't go off on them and say well there's a million factors I say in general anything over 800 horsepower for a daily driver is too much. You don't have to make everything overly complicated. Keep it simple

Is there a prize for the correct answer?:p J/K, there is no set number on how many anything you have to be acceptable or cool or even tacticool.
Learn to read between the lines to disect the sarcasm and humor.

Is there a prize for the correct answer?:p J/K, there is no set number on how many anything you have to be acceptable or cool or even tacticool.
Learn to read between the lines to disect the sarcasm and humor.
I am sorry. I have one member who is telling me that there are a lot of people unhappy with the way I am wording my questions and I am wasting everyone's time by asking the questions I am. So I am a little:( right now. But I have received TUNS of positive responses to my questions and I have learned a LOT from all of you. And for that, I am eternally grateful! I have a lot more questions and I will continue to ask them and get all of your opinions if that is ok with you guys.

Before the "Why buy more guns" post I thought I was pretty-much-done buying guns....Because of all of you, I KNOW I "need" to buy another safe! THANKS:p

And before this thread, I thought I might be good on the amount of Mags I had but a lot of people have made some very good points and I think I need to order twice as many as I currently have and keep some in storage "just in case"

If ya had asked this way;
how many magazines per gun do you feel comfortable having in total?
you might have gotten a lot more positive responses. Or you could ask
what is a reasonable number of magazines per rifle to carry on your person? Or to own in total?
You might get different kinds of responses at least from those who own magazine fed guns ;) it is similar to
how much ammo is enough for one person?

The acceptable answer is never gonna be the same across the board. The best answer would be " as many and as much as you can realistically afford to get and want." If you asked
I bought 500 P mags and am in debt with a 2nd mortgage but no ammo for all that, was I irresponsible for doing this?
you'd probably get a near unanimous answer of yes :rolleyes:

If ya had asked this way; you might have gotten a lot more positive responses. Or you could ask
You might get different kinds of responses at least from those who own magazine fed guns ;) it is similar to

The acceptable answer is never gonna be the same across the board. The best answer would be " as many and as much as you can realistically afford to get and want." If you asked you'd probably get a near unanimous answer of yes :rolleyes:

I never asked about Ammo so I am confused about that.

As far as mags I stated "At what number do you think...."ok I am good" I may buy more but I feel good at that number." I don't want to know about the number someone carries on them.

To clarify you said I should have asked...
"how many magazines per gun do you feel comfortable having in total?"

and again you restated the exact same question

"what is a reasonable number of magazines per rifle to carry on your person? Or to own in total?"

BUT funny thing is both those suggestions are in fact the EXACT question I did ask in my OP "*What would you personally consider a "reasonable" amount Per person per AR-15"

The questions are not the same. One asks in total, the other asks how much youre carrying. For example.. a person may have 60 loaded magazines in ammo cans in a safe but only carries 6-12 magazines in their load bearing equipment (belt kit, vest, chest rig, backpack).
As for the ammo question; its similar because whats "reasonable" for one may be "too little" for another and still be "too much" for yet another person. Consider how many owners here reacted when the news talked about "impressive arsenal of 5 guns and thousands rounds of .22lr ammo" when realistically that could easily be an average hunter's stash of 2 bolt action rifles, a handgun, and 2 different shotguns.....

in Oregon and Washington, one can never have enough 20,30,40...etc round mags as they may become outlawed.

BTW, isnt 20-30 rounds standard capacity for an AR?:D

Wow...good question and I don't have an answer.
When you factor in attrition and the always looming possibility of a ban it makes it tough to judge.
All I can say with certainty is that now is a good time to buy mags.
And don't buy junk.....good mags are cheap right now.
Thank you for saying that. A few people have mad me question whether it was a good question. But people like you help. thank you!

BTW, isnt 20-30 rounds standard capacity for an AR?:D
I would agree.
But...
If you look at 60's and 70's Gun Digests and Shooters Bibles you will see catalog listings for the Colt AR15 rifle with a 5 round magazine listed as "standard".

Not trying to be a jerk ... but it just goes to show that a "standard" magazine can vary between people and times.

Note to all I do not care if your rifle's magazine holds one round or one hundred or more.
Its not the gun or the magazine that is the problem.
Andy

Check Palmettos Daily deals list. Usually you'll find bundles with ammo and yea expensive but the math works out to less than 10 bucks per magazine (buy in bulk!) May have to sign up for Deal Blast emails and wait? I know when I ordered 100rds of X-tac 62gr it came with 5 metal magazines and total was just under 70 for the whole thing

Standard load out is 6+1 30 round magazines. Good idea to have 3 more for each firearm that will be used in case some are lost or damaged. Pistol mag load out for me was 2 +1 15 round M9 mags so if you also look to carry a sidearm along with a rifle I would have 5 pistol magazines. Any purchasing of more magazines than this is just buying stock.

Realistically, 3 magazines for each firearm is enough. I find it very unlikely for a civilian to engage in drawn out firefights with an organized military or against other civilians. There is so much support and logistics that need to be involved in order to support people engaging in warfare.

IF such a scenario unfolded where civilians were engaging a military they would be ambushes if they expected to live longer than a few seconds. If there's a collapse where HORDES of people are driving around in broad daylight directly to your house only then it might be a good idea to load out but you'll be dead either way. I don't think that scenario is very realistic though.

I have plenty of magazines but that's more because I got a bunch before the election.

On this rig I can have up to 12 AR mags. It is comfortable for long patrols if needed. However I am more likely to switch out 3 magazines for an IFAK insert on the strong side and have 9 magazines plus 1 in rifle. I have more magazines coming and on my other rig; I carry a paltry number of 4 20rd Redball mags and up to 4 of 10rd mags for the 995 Carbine.. or I can go with an Indy Satchel that carries 10 redball mags and 12 10rd mags for the hi point carbine. It all depends on which gun I want to grab at the moment if I have to. I also have 3 mags for my P85 handgun.

20170115_111720.jpg DSCF0900.jpg

I have at least enough AR based weapons, magazines (@ 10 per), AND ammo to fully kit out an Infantry squad (because I have that many family members/allies in/around my household), as well as enough kit for 3 complete resupplies.... I'm adding more for 5 complete resupplies.

That's just the AR system, and don't get me started on the AK system!

Stupid? Maybe, but who'll be the stupid one when (not if) it all goes wrong? ;)

I have at least enough AR based weapons, magazines (@ 10 per), AND ammo to fully kit out an Infantry squad (because I have that many family members/allies in/around my household), as well as enough kit for 3 complete resupplies.... I'm adding more for 5 complete resupplies.

That's just the AR system, and don't get me started on the AK system!

Stupid? Maybe, but who'll be the stupid one when (not if) it all goes wrong? ;)

Hey if you got good stuff to defend might as well plan for the defense.

I'm geared up with 6 months of provisions. After that it's all about hunting 2 legged game.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top