JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is an adiquit amout of AR-15 magazines for one person. (Per person per AR-15 (.223/5.56))

• Total voters
I replied that you could never have enough.
I myself need none as I do not own a AR15 ... but I have carried one while in the service.
We had 7 as a basic load ... and at times that was plenty.
Other times 700 may still not have been enough.
Granted those times were at the extreme end of an example as I hope people never have to experience a firefight first hand.

Also I do not like idea of some arbitrary number for a limit of anything.
Buy what you want and enjoy.

Magazines can weaken over time and lead to failure.
With the threat of looming bans ... I'd suggest getting them while you can.
Andy
A guy told me he had most nightmares about running out of ammo while he was in VN.
If I was still in western Wa I would say you can't have enough. And I did have a pile for the 2 ARs I had. But over here I don't feel I need as many.
I rather have mags on my bolt guns and piles of ammo;)

I replied that you could never have enough.
I myself need none as I do not own a AR15 ... but I have carried one while in the service.
We had 7 as a basic load ... and at times that was plenty.
Other times 700 may still not have been enough.
Granted those times were at the extreme end of an example as I hope people never have to experience a firefight first hand.

Also I do not like idea of some arbitrary number for a limit of anything.
Buy what you want and enjoy.

Magazines can weaken over time and lead to failure.
With the threat of looming bans ... I'd suggest getting them while you can.
Andy

With the Shot Show sales, I picked up another 12. Last night, went through all of them, including pistol mags, marking with a gold sharpie, which caliber. 9mm & 40 cal look too similar. 6.8SPC and 5.56 look the same too. If the follower is not marked, you'd have a hard time telling in a jiffy. The 308 mags for my AR don't fit on my bolt gun and vice-versa.
Never realized I had so many.... Now I need a small cabinet just to store them....

I remember hearing that in a gunfight, around three rounds are expended until some sort of "resolution" is achieved (yer dead or the other guy is). And in war, the exchange rate is "you" kill one per one "you" is killed.. a 1/1 type deal.
So probably like 100 magazines. lol

As an older and more experienced friend once told me, "I'd probably be killed before the seventh or eighth mag anyway. If I last through my tenth, I'll pick up some of theirs."

On duty coppers swang their dicks around with three pistol mags with unknown threats.

so, one million magazines! duh

th?id=OIP.M9ab89b1840c3440b1b4c1f55fb3d2729H2&w=275&h=160&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

No, I got enough mags.

I probably own 400 magazines, over half of them for AR's

I got enough (but will still fret and figure I should buy some the next time I see a deal)

When you say "I have 400 magazines". It sounds ridiculous.

When you say "I have around 7 magazines for each of my firearms". It sounds much more reasonable

Last Edited:
Wow, 29% say it's not adequate to have less than 21 magazines? I said 2-5. That's 60-150 rounds. I don't burn through ammo that fast to need much more than that. I'm a cheapskate. I savor each shot.

Wow, 29% say it's not adequate to have less than 21 magazines? I said 2-5. That's 60-150 rounds. I don't burn through ammo that fast to need much more than that. I'm a cheapskate. I savor each shot.
Its not the money spent or the numbers acquired.. these are cold hard facts;
Magazines get lost or damaged
Some magazines need tweaking or repairs
More magazines loaded and waiting in a metal ammo can or nifty plastic organizer means you spend less time reloading what you have at the range or in the field.
Even though you may not use a lot of ammo and a lot of magazines, you still should have plenty just in case the primary magazines are unservicable or worse.

For what they are; they are consumables; not exactly durable goods, or they'd be far heavier and beefier and built in much like the older fixed magazine guns like the SKS and Garand examples.

This is also a prime example why we should be getting whatever we can afford as soon as possible. Since several Oregon Democrats wants to follow Californias lead on ammo and magazine bans, very soon, we have got to be prepared. Otherwise expect paying $35+ per magazine "rebuild" kits to keep what you have servicable or worse.

One fifty caliber can; holds up to 24 loaded AR standard metal magazines; not sure how many PMags; and all the smaller cans are for loose ammo or boxed ammo, or tools. On top are the 12x 9mm Hi Point carbine mags; which usually are in either the Indy Satchel bandolier or in my low profile chest rig. Most times theyre split between low profile chest rig and the Indy Satchel which is a very handy range bag for the 9mm carbine :) same for the 50cal can, great for taking to the range and having fun :D:cool:

20170128_113629.jpg

During the last shortage of mags, where they were sold out in all stores and folks were selling them used on Ebay for 10 times what they payed, I thought I'd cash in as well. Rounded up my mags, I had 5. ONLY 5!!!XXX% !!!! Man, it just went all limp. Suddenly I didn't want to sell them anymore. Even for $100. In fact, I waited until the priced dropped later and bought lots more. Much more than needed. Now I have a box full of them sitting there unused. Right now that's too many. Tomorrow it may not be enough.

Sometimes separating needs and wants is a situational thing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top