JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw it! I like watching him. Wish I had an ammo sponsor...
I didn't get to watch the whole thing yet but just once I'd like to see him throw that bolt while shouldered.
I've still got my A3 that I bought as a kid.. learned myself how to do it properly quite a while ago.. with mil-surp and gas-checked lead slugs (pretty cheap). Don't need no sponsor!

One of my all time favorite Riflez, the mighty 03 sure got it right, from the accuracy, lightning fast reloads, and first class features that mark it in a class by it' self. I wouldn't wanna go up against a rifleman who really knows his 03, and I bet he could give a good accounting of him self and his rifle against the SMLE!:):):) no one botherd to try to build something better, they knew it was pointless against perfection, even all these years later, place a classic 03 alongside any new bolt gun and the new one is found wanting! :D

I still want to add a 1903 to my collection that is old enough to have the script lettering. I know it will be a low number, but there is something inherently beautiful in the script lettering they used on the early receivers and for the early cartouche on both the 1903 and the Krag.

25268436-FDE9-441E-872C-F24A9DAF4893.jpeg

My grandfather traded for a 1903 and then "customized" it to his liking. He removed the rear sight and soldered a fixed peep to the rear of the action.

IMG_0228.JPG

Then he cut the barrel back to 18" and installed a front sight.

IMG_0229.JPG

Of course he had to redo the forend of the stock, too. Funny thing, I've killed a few deer with this rifle. With a steady rest I can plug a beer can at 100 yards.

IMG_0226.JPG

DOM 1917. My family has killed a lot of deer with this rifle. I wonder what stories she could tell?

P

Looking for some local 1903a3 gurus. I'm rebuilding a 43 Remington that was sporterized. Nothing was cut or drilled, so all good. Got what looks like a new CMP type 11 stock (ebay bought, so who knows) and a beech handguard from Sarco. Also got the Sarco parts kit. Anyone local to WA who could help with final assembly and accurizing.

Not a very good picture but my 10/43 Remington '03. 95% original. Best priced gun I ever got. FREE I inherited it from my uncle. The Springfield was the first firearm I shot in my life (In Boot Camp) Been in love with them ever since. Nex 2 guns from my uncle will be his Garand and his M1 Carbine.

fbgun.jpg

I got into 03 and 03A3s late in my collecting. Didn't get my first one until about 6 years ago, an 03A3 drill rifle that I converted to an 03A-faux. A single Lyman Alaasken scope I bought for 25 bucks started me on the journey.

Next I found a first year production 03 with original barrel and many other original parts.

Then I picked up a Smith Corona from D&J.

Now I've got a 1903Mk1 receiver that I'm piecing together.

Be careful, it's a sickness. I just picked up a drill rifle from Dupage. I imagine it will be pretty well roached, but we'll see what is salvageable. At the very least it will be more parts for my other rebuilds.

The heat treat on the rear ring won't bother much at all. It really isn't a pressure area. The front ring is more the question. That I suppose depends on the heavy handedness of the welder that day. It is usually a small tac weld on the bottom. The barrel is junk. The bolt is usually welded up and junk. Same with mag cut-off.
Enough companies (Gibbs, etc) have made a lot of repro 03a4, 03a3 etc. from drill receivers, so it must be deemed low risk. You can always tell recovered drill rifles because the only way to cover the discolored metal on refinish is to paint the metal.
That being said, the receiver on its way for me is destined to become a single shot .22 (or .22 Mag), so pressure and heat treat is less of an issue. The stock hardware is usually in okay condition from what I hear, and that saves me time and energy of tracking down all that.

The weld on the front ring is my concern. I really want too build a 260 and wonder if a "sporterized" 03a3 from one of these receivers would be ok. Not sure if I could get the setup to function properly. Lol

Sarco just listed a lot of 03 receivers and i am also seeing them elsewhere, so I wouldn't have a problem with using a drill rifle for mil spec parts, but keep in mind these drill rifles are also missing some other parts you would need for a mil spec restoration!

The weld on the front ring is my concern. I really want too build a 260 and wonder if a "sporterized" 03a3 from one of these receivers would be ok. Not sure if I could get the setup to function properly. Lol

There are enough already sportered rifles gathering dust on pawn shop shelves for $175 to $200 that finding a donor for a .270 should be no problem! If you are at all concerned with the drill rifle heat treat, that would be the way to go. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the heat treat, especially with the welds I have seen. Heavy on the barrel, just a tac on the bottom of the front ring.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top