JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And then there was this absolutely beautiful rifle I saw while watching random gun videos with my 16-month old son. The stock is gorgeous and I need to experiment to get that color...

I don't agree with everything the young man said, but that seems like an almost perfect 03a3 rifle, so I will need to build one like it. I have one close already, but I need the 03a3 sights.

So many rifles, so little time...

Time to resurrect this thread. Found this beauty at the pawn shop today. Was such a screaming deal, I couldn't turn it down. I begged the wife to lend me some of her mad money. It came home with me. Now I just have to figure out how to pay her back...

It is a clean, undrilled Smith Corona 03a3. Looks like someone pulled it out of the military stock and dropped it in this sporter stock. Either a Bishop or Fajen, but should clean up well once I remove the plastic white line spacer garbage.

So restore the rifle with a new stock, probably a scant stock because I don't have a scant stock rifle yet. Then find a sporter to put in this stock, after I put a new forend tip, grip cap, recoil pad, and finish on...

IMG_0456.JPG IMG_0458.JPG

Time to resurrect this thread. Found this beauty at the pawn shop today. Was such a screaming deal, I couldn't turn it down. I begged the wife to lend me some of her mad money. It came home with me. Now I just have to figure out how to pay her back...

It is a clean, undrilled Smith Corona 03a3. Looks like someone pulled it out of the military stock and dropped it in this sporter stock. Either a Bishop or Fajen, but should clean up well once I remove the plastic white line spacer garbage.

So restore the rifle with a new stock, probably a scant stock because I don't have a scant stock rifle yet. Then find a sporter to put in this stock, after I put a new forend tip, grip cap, recoil pad, and finish on...

View attachment 384855 View attachment 384856

Beautiful! Mind if I ask how much you paid for it?
Only because I really want one. :)

It was time this morning for a new family photo. I do have a sickness. Trending more towards military and target style rifles these days, but I do still have a couple of sporters and plans for a few more. Still not enough, need to keep trolling the gun shows and pawn shops...

IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0465.JPG IMG_0466.JPG

The sporter second from the left will be restored to military glory, as it's the uncut smith-corona. One of the actions on the right is being restored to military, but may go to a 1941 sniper style. The far left sporter will stay a sporter, but will get a wood stock. Another of the actions will be used to reproduce an Ames Carbine. The other action is cut as a sporter already and I'll likely build that for my son using the stock currently on the smith corona...

It's a never-ending sickness...

Last Edited:
The typewriter (Smith Corona) 03a3 turned out to be a bit more of a mix master than I had hoped. The receiver, barrel, sights, and sight hood are all SC. The rest of the parts are Remington. So it's been re-arsenaled at least once.

But I still needed a Smith Corona for the collection. So I found a San Antonio Arsenal marked replacement scant stock to put it in. Also needed a scant stock for the collection. Two birds with one stone.

Still need to find a matching handguard, stacking swivel band assembly, and a rear swivel screw, but it's coming along nicely...

IMG_0523.JPG

Well, I couldn't find an 03a3 handguard in time for my last shoot, so I switched directions. I took the scant stock off of the Smith Corona and stuck it on my naked 1903 instead. Friend had a nice matching 1903 handguard, so voila.

IMG_0662.JPG

This is definitely a mixmaster. Early straight bolt (stole off another project until I can find another). November 1942 barrel. San Antonio arsenal marked rebuild stock. The receiver was drilled and tapped for a side mount site, and has been welded up. Because this turned out to be a 1903, and not an 03a3, I swapped the Remington buttplate onto my 1903a4-gery and put a smooth milled plate on this.

I still need to replace the bolt and the rear sight windage screw. Then it will be a good shooter.

Last Edited:
Me!!! I suppose now I will get a few out and snap a few photos of a few.

Ok here is my favorite.
1903 Springfield setup as a International Match rifle. Built in 1926 and used in the international matches. Its actually documented in the Brophy book. Double set trigger, palm rest mount on the floorplate.
Whats really cool is this is one of 8 or 10 Springfields that were fitted with Winchester Mfg heavy tapered match barrels. And it still shoots awesome! It still sports the original Winchester A5 scope that was used in the matches.

View attachment 318691
View attachment 318692
View attachment 318693
View attachment 318694
Like a pretty girl, remembered forever

LOL!!! It sounds like your robbing Peter to pay Paul and all the nephews, MB!
Your cool ad, posted above, reminds me that I have a framed photo from early in the last century of a firing line with soldiers in campaign hats and puttees firing 1903's. I must find it!

If I might add a photo of the extremely rare model of 1902 Springfield. DSCF1303.JPG Really rare because they were only made for 1 year!;)
Sort of a transitional model with a lot of the same features as the later 1903. A .30 cal bore and a bolt handle for instance.
The men at Springfield Armory must have been very busy during those years!
DSCF1304.JPG
As they used to say, "underneath a starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag".
Ok, not an '03 but very close!

DSCF1305.JPG

I can take my tongue out of my cheek now.:)

I have an A3-03 that belonged to my dad. I believe he bought it from the CMP in 64. I thought I would quickly get it out and snap a few pics, but it's buried behind a bunch of stuff including an honest to goodness No5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine". While I'm at it I need to document Dad's No4 Sniper (unfortunately sporterized). Looks like I need to devote a little time to taking pics. There's a thread around her that @AndyinEverson posted about battle rifles of WWI and II that's interesting, too.

Post pics of your WWI & WWII Rifles

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top