JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I was simply pointing out that the Court decisions haven't really changed much so not sure where you are going with that.

Oh I dunno, maybe it's because expecting reason from the government is possibly the stupidest thing ever.

Actually DMan it is you who is a delusional sap. Studies overwhelmingly show that Congressmen very much care about what their constituents think. Why? Simple self interest, their number one goal is to get re-elected.

Constituents. Plural. Why would he listen to some gun nut when he can listen to a dozen "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" soccer moms who hate guns and want them banned? The Constitution was designed to stop the government from doing bad things even if a majority of idiots want it, but we've crossed that line about a century ago. Oh well.

If by "adding to it," you mean he made it more gun owner friendly, and re-legalized hundreds of models of guns, then you'd be correct.
Defeating it would have required a repeal from the MA legislature that was 87% liberal progressive.
And we KNOW that wasn't going to happen.\

So he opted to do what the state and national gun-rights people asked him to do.

But I know you prefer the liberal spin, so live with the lie, if that's what you prefer.

He changed and modified the AWB in MA - I dont agree that he made it better - he added more restictions and removed some - the fact is he changed it. That means to me he supported gun control otherwise he would have worked to have removed it instead of doing what was politically advantageous to his carreer. It is over now so at this point Romney is nothing but a foot note in history - kind of like Williams Jennings Bryant - a lot of people dont recognize that name and in the future the name Romney will be forgotten as well.

James Ruby

He changed and modified the AWB in MA - I dont agree that he made it better - he added more restictions and removed some - the fact is he changed it. That means to me he supported gun control otherwise he would have worked to have removed it instead of doing what was politically advantageous to his carreer. It is over now so at this point Romney is nothing but a foot note in history - kind of like Williams Jennings Bryant - a lot of people dont recognize that name and in the future the name Romney will be forgotten as well.

James Ruby

Here's what was signed, and how/why he signed it. There were NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS JG.
You were sold a bill-of-goods.

Here is the NRA-ILA summary of the law, written just after the MA legislature passed the bill:
Massachusetts - Firearms Reform Bill Sent to the Governor`s Desk

On June 24, 2004 at approximately 11:20 AM , the Senate took the last legislative vote on S.2367 and sent it to Governor Romney`s desk for his consideration. Representing the greatest set of firearm law reforms since the passage of the Commonwealth`s worst in the nation gun laws, S.2367 is a breath of fresh air for law abiding gun owners. Governor Romney is expected to sign the bill into law later this week.

While not perfect by any means, this bill represents a step forward for gun owners in Massachusetts. The bill was passed in the Senate by a vote of 36 - 1 in favor and the House passed it with no amendments or debate on a "voice" vote. This represented by far the broadest support a reform bill has ever seen in the Massachusetts State House. Only one legislator in the entire building voiced opposition to the bill.

S.2367 does the following:

Instructs the Executive Director of the Criminal History Systems Board to make the Firearms Identification Card and the License To Carry a Firearm the same size as a driver`s license;

Changes the term of a Firearms Identification Card and a License to Carry to six years;

Creates a grace period of 90 days, if the Firearms Identification Card or License to Carry holder applies for renewal before the expiration date, and if the application for renewal is not denied;

Creates a Firearms Licensing Review Board. Applicants disqualified by a misdemeanor record, from obtaining a License To Carry or Firearms Identification Card, may file a petition for review of eligibility with the board, five years after conviction, adjudication, commitment, probation or parole;

and in the case where an officer is confiscating the guns of a person with an expired license, requires the officer to provide a written inventory and receipt for all guns.

Despite the efforts of some (including The Boston Globe) to spin this bill as an extension of or creation of a new "Assault Weapons" ban, the bill makes no net changes to the Commonwealth`s laws regarding those types of firearms. The three sections referencing them merely dealt with re-affirming the definitions of what an "Assault Weapon" could be.

Here are just some of the points that the media (including The Boston Globe) got wrong.

Myth: Some headlines claimed that the legislature voted to expand the ban on the sale of the same 19 guns that the federal government has banned.

Fact: The guns are already banned in Massachusetts . The legislature only voted to clarify the definition of so-called "assault weapons," but made no changes to the number of guns included.

Myth: The gun ban was extended.

Fact: Our state`s gun ban was not due to disappear, nor will it become invalid if the federal ban sunsets in September.

Myth: The legislature somehow "won over" gun-rights supporters by including reforms.

Fact: NRA and Gun owners` Action League (GOAL) had made it very clear to the legislature that we would not give up any ground. NRA and GOAL supported this bill because it did not ban any guns, and because it made much-needed reforms.

Myth: Those legislators that wanted to expand the semi-auto gun ban claimed that they "spearheaded" S.2367.

Fact: Credit should be given to Senator Stephen Brewer (D- Barre) and Senator Richard T. Moore (D - Uxbridge) for the reform language.

Myth: The Massachusetts House approved a new version of the ban that would decouple the state definitions from the federal ones.

Fact: The bill merely takes the existing state references to federal law, and fixes the language to a point in time in 1994. Because that is the federal language is currently in effect, the net effect on Massachusetts gun owners is zero. No new gun bans are banned. Keep in mind that the state language in effect before this bill was NEVER set to expire.

With that in mind, NRA members should be very pleased in knowing that their efforts to educate and work with their local representatives and senators resulted in a successful reform action.

Thanks to you and the Gun Owners` Action League, lawful gun owners can now take advantage of this first set of real reforms in over five years.

Here's what was signed, and how/why he signed it. There were NO ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS JG.
You were sold a bill-of-goods.

Here is the NRA-ILA summary of the law, written just after the MA legislature passed the bill:

Please dont quote the NRA if you want to make an actual point - I think we could both agree that the NRA is pretty biased.

James Ruby

Constituents. Plural. Why would he listen to some gun nut when he can listen to a dozen "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" soccer moms who hate guns and want them banned? The Constitution was designed to stop the government from doing bad things even if a majority of idiots want it, but we've crossed that line about a century ago. Oh well.

Exactly: Constituents plural, politicians respond to what they view as majority public opinion in their districts because that is what will get them re-elected. We need to be vocal, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. On the micro scale we need to be converting those gun grabbing soccer moms, take them shooting, take the scariness of the unknown away. We need to get them to see that gun owners aren't a bunch of nuts. I have personally changed quite a few minds this way. Took an ex-girlfriend shooting years ago, she was horribly afraid of guns until I took her shooting. One cylinder of .357 later she was saying wow this is fun, I feel so empowered.

Please dont quote the NRA if you want to make an actual point - I think we could both agree that the NRA is pretty biased.

James Ruby
Sorry JG, but this is getting exasperating.
Okay, the NRA is biased. (Towards gun rights)
And I'm sorry JG, but you have proven yourself to be willfully ignorant.
The factual evidence is before you from TWO different pro-gun organizations and you are still parroting a line written by the left-wing Boston Globe.

Now who's biased?
But that's okay.
Your guy won last night.

So now we'll see.

Sorry JG, but this is getting exasperating.
Okay, the NRA is biased. (Towards gun rights)
And I'm sorry JG, but you have proven yourself to be willfully ignorant.
The factual evidence is before you from TWO different pro-gun organizations and you are still parroting a line written by the left-wing Boston Globe.

Now who's biased?
But that's okay.
Your guy won last night.

So now we'll see.

We simply disagree - the MA AWB has Romney's name on it - good enough for me - he was the part of the problem in my mind instead of the solution. He was the NRA's golden boy and he failed partly because of his past and what I consider his radical ideas. Neither of us can change this outcome at this point. I would love to gloat but honestly I dont feel alot of happiness with Obama getting relected but I feel better than if Romney had won. We will see what happens in the next four years.

James Ruby

I was simply pointing out that the Court decisions haven't really changed much so not sure where you are going with that.

Actually DMan it is you who is a delusional sap. Studies overwhelmingly show that Congressmen very much care about what their constituents think. Why? Simple self interest, their number one goal is to get re-elected.

Hahah, "very much care". You're not in the 5th district are ya? After the Arizona/Giffords shooting, good ol' blue dog democrat, paragon of pragmatism, captain of compromise Ken Schrader told the Statesman Journal that the shooting was all about "right wing violent rhetoric". He's been a straight ticket dem both terms he's been in and will continue to be one.

As a side note, the Oregon GOP ought to just fold up and die already. What a bunch of useless wankers they are.

We simply disagree - the MA AWB has Romney's name on it - good enough for me -
James Ruby
From willful ignorance to outright lie.
The MA AWB does NOT have Romney's name on it.
And if you can show me where he signed an AWB into law, I'll apologize.
(Not that I'll ever have to, because he didn't.)

But for now you're still lying.

Stop lying JG and wake up!

From willful ignorance to outright lie.
The MA AWB does NOT have Romney's name on it.
Stop lying JG and wake up!

It has the impact from changes that occurred while he was govenor of Mass. I really wanted to keep this freindly however after being called ignorant twice by you I am having hard time being social. From my perspective you are wrong - you simply do not accept history in this case. In most situations I would agree with you but not this one. The fact is that he has been involved with the MA AWB and will here after be associted with it.

James Ruby

One big difference with Obama compared to Clinton in regards to the awb is Clinton and the dems controlled both the senate and house. Today that is NOT the case guys. If the dems had a super majority in both, I could understand the worry. Remember even GW Bush was willing to extend the awb if the senate/house got something to him. Personally the biggest problem we will have will be with all the type/hysterical chicken little's' that prices might be affected but not by any amount more then we have been seeing.

WE all just need to take a step back, take a deep breath and relax for a moment.

We have elected almost the exact same government we've had for the last 4 years and yet people are getting hysterical.... Pure silliness.

I see Eric holder and Hillary Clinton as two of the new supreme court justices, and they are going to impose the united nations small arms treaty on us that's right nothing to see here move along

anyone who sees this as nothing is a moron,
not intended to offend anyone in particular

I see Eric holder and Hillary Clinton as two of the new supreme court justices, and they are going to impose the united nations small arms treaty on us that's right nothing to see here move along

anyone who sees this as nothing is a moron,
not intended to offend anyone in particular

See the re-election as nothing or the peyote-induced hallucination that Holder or Clinton would make it onto the Supreme Court? Not intended to offend, only to seek clarification.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads