JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was reading about a local incident where a guy was outside staring in the window of a house and they turned on the light and guy didn't leave. They thought he was going to break in. He left after he heard police sirens.

In this situation how could you legally do a citizens arrest (assuming a person wanted to I mean)?

I haven't researched it. What exactly do u do to put someone under citizens arrest? I know if you point a gun at someone it is considered menacing in OR but does that apply in a case like the one described above? Also if you have no weapon and aren't really physically imposing is there any sort of threat to keep them there? Do u have to just follow them until the police show up? Thanks in advance for any input.

I would say, consider very carefully if this is something that you want to do...or even should. First and foremost the level of risk that you may be putting yourself in and/or family members could be significant.

Secondly, it is likely fraught with numerous legal pitfalls. If you attempt to make a citizens arrest and forcibly detain someone...and you're wrong...you could be looking at a variety of charges from assault to kidnapping, etc.

Obviously there may be serious and obvious situations...like somebody pulls a knife on you and attempts to mug you. If you pull your gun and order them to the ground...and they comply...keeping them in that position and doing nothing more until the police show up is probably ideal. Trying to actually cuff someone...assuming you even have some types of restraints...can be a very dangerous activity. It most certainly requires proper training...and is always better done with backup present.

As for lesser incidents...like the peeping tom thing in your original post...that...to me at least...just isn't worth taking the chances. Lock the doors, grab a weapon, call the police and hunker down until they show up...or something changes that warrants further action on your part.

This is just my opinion. YMMV.

I was reading about a local incident where a guy was outside staring in the window of a house and they turned on the light and guy didn't leave. They thought he was going to break in. He left after he heard police sirens.

In this situation how could you legally do a citizens arrest (assuming a person wanted to I mean)?

I haven't researched it. What exactly do u do to put someone under citizens arrest? I know if you point a gun at someone it is considered menacing in OR but does that apply in a case like the one described above? Also if you have no weapon and aren't really physically imposing is there any sort of threat to keep them there? Do u have to just follow them until the police show up? Thanks in advance for any input.

Well this is kinda ironic. About half an hour after posting this q I saw a crazy lady trying to break into 4 different office buildings. She was yelling to no one and talking about how "I hate you" and "read the Bible!" And all kinds of crazy stuff.

NOT a situation for a citizens arrest (for me anyway) but she tried all four doors of the dental office and really worked one door over pretty good. I followed her for roughly 40 min after calling police and they never showed.

Here is a video of her. Hopefully this is video link can be viewed, if not let me know and I'll try to edit:

Se 60 and Belmont lady trying to break in

B3251F04-F7F6-43C9-9673-A0993E83036C.png

Last Edited:
Well this is kinda ironic. About half an hour after posting this q I saw a crazy lady trying to break into 4 different office buildings. She was yelling to no one and talking about how "I hate you" and "read the Bible!" And all kinds of crazy stuff.

NOT a situation for a citizens arrest (for me anyway) but she tried all four doors of the dental office and really worked one door over pretty good. I followed her for roughly 40 min after calling police and they never showed.

Here is a video of her. Hopefully this is visible, if not let me know and I'll try to edit:

Se 60 and Belmont lady trying to break in
There you go with "just call 911" and how much good it does. Another street kook who should be locked up for her and the public safety. Yet she is allowed to roam free until something tragic happens.

Yea, I called 911 one additional time to update her location but I was freezing after being out there that long and didn't want to spend the whole day watching some crazy person until the police arrive (if ever). That's not a knock on the police at all. It's just so much they have to deal with there is no way they can possibly respond to it all.

If you aren't comfortable just letting the police do their job your best bet is to invite them in and THEN shoot them dead! If you try to do something in between these two extremes you are very likely going to find that you are now the criminal in the eyes of the law. If you decide to go the later route you should probably put a hammer or rock from your yard or something in the victims hand as they are bleeding out all over your floor.

Last Edited:
Someone lookin in the window... citizen's arrest: 147gr thru the window and into the forehead will anchor them fairly well until the police arrive.

If you aren't comfortable just letting the police do there job your best bet is to invite them in and THEN shoot them dead! If you try to do something in between these two extremes you are very likely going to find that you are now the criminal in the eyes of the law. If you decide to go the later route you should probably put a hammer or something in the victims had as they are bleeding out all over your floor.

I love it!!!

Sad to say all of this crap started after they closed all the mental institutions, now they roam the streets...:eek:
This particular lady imo really should not be on the streets. Yelling violently at the top of her lungs to no one, trying to break into several properties, walking back and forth through traffic (light traffic). Crazy stuff

Re citizens arrest I guess what I was thinking is that the lady with the peeping Tom thought the creep was looking at her daughter.

In that situation for me personally I wouldn't want the guy to be scared away by sirens -and thus get away free- one night and be back again and again and maybe someday he does something really bad. If there was a citizens arrest then at least he can get arrested and feel some "pain" (psychological pain mean) and maybe the lady could get a restraining order in the future or something.

If he just runs away free then he feels no "pain" (psychological I mean) and there is no negative incentive for him to just do it again.

This particular lady imo really should not be on the streets. Yelling violently at the top of her lungs to no one, trying to break into several properties, walking back and forth through traffic (light traffic). Crazy stuff

We have one of these in our 'hood on and off. Without the trying to break in, as far as I know. And I mean living on he street, and gong by our house from time to time. I tend to think she's pretty harmless, until......? ONE time, knocked on our door, all freaked out, and telling us we have a chimney fire! I'd just lit the wood stove. o_O She keeps with a local homeless guy that comes and goes around the hood. He has little house trailer. I mean little, like 14'. He tows it around with an 1970ish AMX with the hood cut out and a huge blower scoop above the hood. He is a nice guy. Works on folks cars. When he's parked, in the no "RV parking" we had to get on our street, he leaves nothing behind. He actually sweeps the sidewalk and curb while he stays there for 2-4 days. Then he's gone for awhile.

"Public Servants"? Kiss my shiny yellow butt !

I would say, consider very carefully if this is something that you want to do...or even should. First and foremost the level of risk that you may be putting yourself in and/or family members could be significant.

Secondly, it is likely fraught with numerous legal pitfalls. If you attempt to make a citizens arrest and forcibly detain someone...and you're wrong...you could be looking at a variety of charges from assault to kidnapping, etc.

Obviously there may be serious and obvious situations...like somebody pulls a knife on you and attempts to mug you. If you pull your gun and order them to the ground...and they comply...keeping them in that position and doing nothing more until the police show up is probably ideal. Trying to actually cuff someone...assuming you even have some types of restraints...can be a very dangerous activity. It most certainly requires proper training...and is always better done with backup present.

As for lesser incidents...like the peeping tom thing in your original post...that...to me at least...just isn't worth taking the chances. Lock the doors, grab a weapon, call the police and hunker down until they show up...or something changes that warrants further action on your part.

This is just my opinion. YMMV.

^^^This^^^^

in this day and age, it's best to not get involved directly,Call 911 and be a good witness to every thing you can with out putting your self or others at risk! Short of a threat of bodily harm to you, secure your self, arm your self, be prepared to defend your self, and do no more then be a good witness!

It's a good idea to add when calling that you think the person in question is a threat of harm to them selves and others near by, including you! Be careful out there!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top