JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Pierce County man was taken into custody after the shot a neighbor who was trying to break into his house. Authorities later released the man when they investigated the circumstances.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-homeowner-shoots-kills-man-breaking-home-authorities-say

It sounds like a woman took refuge there from an abusive boyfriend. She had a protective order against him. He threatened her and the residents of the home as he was trying to break in.

Sounds like a good shoot to me.

If you are in any kind of shooting expect to be taken into custody, or at the very minimum, held for questioning. As a person who has been in a shooting I recommend that you not say anything until you are represented by council, even if threatened with arrest.

Even after reading the article, it looks like the home owner was taken in for questioning' not arrested or charged. It's just poorly written.
On another forum there was a really long thread about not giving any more than the basics to the police right after a shooting.
One suggestion was to insist on being seen by a dr, in a high stress moment who knows if I need to be seen. And that time gives you the time to meet with your attny. Even the police can not be forced to give a statement for 72 hours. You should take some time too. DR

The shooter, a 59-year-old man, was interviewed and released. Prosecutors will review the case to determine if any charges will be filed.

He was "taken into custody", he talked to the detectives, they also talked to the people in the home, and drove the guy back home. A LOT will of course depend on what, if anything he said while they were "interviewing" him. Hopefully he said very little other than lawyer.
Even in a shoot like this they are going to read you your rights and you will be in "custody". Be careful what you say. Let a lawyer talk for you.

In my experience of DGU I have found that ...

You will be asked a ton of questions....Both on the scene..and at the station house...
You will also be judged , second guessed and "what if'd "to the cows come home....
You will not be given the key to the city or gifted more ammo....
The attitude of Law Enforcement will vary about your actions....

For me what worked / was in my favor...
My actions were justified...and within state / local laws etc....
Witness ....
EMT reports...
A good , clean record on my part...
My military experience...
The "Three C's ", in my account...
( Clear , Complete , Concise )
A polite , but firm...
"I was in fear for my life and my neighbor's life...I would like a Lawyer...."
I cleared my firearm and had the action open , away from me...but still nearby , when Law Enforcement arrived.
Andy

A Pierce County man was taken into custody after the shot a neighbor who was trying to break into his house. Authorities later released the man when they investigated the circumstances.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-homeowner-shoots-kills-man-breaking-home-authorities-say

It sounds like a woman took refuge there from an abusive boyfriend. She had a protective order against him. He threatened her and the residents of the home as he was trying to break in.

Sounds like a good shoot to me.
Banging the neighbor. Pretty simple really.

the 2 shooting incidents in rural Clark Co, the property owners were interviewed on their property and no charges filed

in both cases, the intruders were unarmed, but on the porch, trying to get into the home

I'm sure it depends on the local DA and the individual Sheriffs office in the unincorporated areas

the 2 shooting incidents in rural Clark Co, the property owners were interviewed on their property and no charges filed

in both cases, the intruders were unarmed, but on the porch, trying to get into the home

I'm sure it depends on the local DA and the individual Sheriffs office in the unincorporated areas
It is going to depend a LOT, on exactly what the shooter told the Police. There have been several of these kind of shootings up here that turned into a "thing". Every one I remember not being open and shut was because the shooter could not shut up. I know its hard after something like this but, anyone who has to do this has to try to remember to stop talking until a lawyer is there to do the talking.

Justified or not, it is a homicide. The shooter knows, but the investigators do not. Being the most serious crime, dang betcha they are investigated. Talk to a lawyer, but in any sort of iffy situation, silence may tip the scales against you, since the only evidence comes from the other side.

For those with a conscience, killing is not an easy thing - during or after.

Justified or not, it is a homicide. The shooter knows, but the investigators do not. Being the most serious crime, dang betcha they are investigated. Talk to a lawyer, but in any sort of iffy situation, silence may tip the scales against you, since the only evidence comes from the other side.

For those with a conscience, killing is not an easy thing - during or after.
If the shoot is "iffy" you are making a GRAVE mistake talking without a lawyer. No one who is involved in an "iffy shoot" is going to talk themself into the good. The investigators only gather info and send it up to those who make a call to try to make a case or not. No one is going to help their case by volunteering more info when they are fresh from having to shoot someone. Unless they are devoid of emotion they are in the worst possible state of mind to start volunteering info. If it is "iffy" and it goes to 12 to decide your fate? Then you will have a pro there to decide what you should tell those 12 people.
All have to make up their own mind and most will never be in this position thank god. There is a very good reason why you will not find a competent lawyer suggest you do anything other that wait to talk to them before you start answering questions once they start "investigating".

Couple things on using deadly force:

1. Expect you are going to jail for the night. Don't try to talk your way out of it. You won't. Moreover, you could turn a night in jail in to a prison stint. The book, "The Joy of Gay Prison Sex" has yet to be written.

2. LE will take your death tool into custody as evidence. You will likely not see it again for 2 years if the incident is deemed righteous. X-10 for a questionable one that eventually goes your way. The tool involved is treated just like a baseball bat, hammer, machete or any other instrument you might have had to use to defend yourself. No one in the legal system cares how much it costs or how special it is to the owner.

3. Don't take legal advice from a forum on the internet.

In my experience of DGU I have found that ...

You will be asked a ton of questions....Both on the scene..and at the station house...
You will also be judged , second guessed and "what if'd "to the cows come home....
You will not be given the key to the city or gifted more ammo....
The attitude of Law Enforcement will vary about your actions....

For me what worked / was in my favor...
My actions were justified...and within state / local laws etc....
Witness ....
EMT reports...
A good , clean record on my part...
My military experience...
The "Three C's ", in my account...
( Clear , Complete , Concise )
A polite , but firm...
"I was in fear for my life and my neighbor's life...I would like a Lawyer...."
I cleared my firearm and had the action open , away from me...but still nearby , when Law Enforcement arrived.
Andy
You, too, eh? Not surprised actually. Mirrors my basic experience too....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top