JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm more curious then anything else. This is the first gun I've owned, that I haven't been able to find a date stamp during break down. Wondering if I'm just not looking in the right spot? Is there some date code in the Serial number I could decode? Anyone here know much about these guns?

there is one on very many weapons. Usually there is a range of serial numbers that were produced during a year. Look in some of the gun value books, they usually show a range and year produced.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Not sure where I would find one of these gun value books. My GF works at a magazine shop if you could give me the name of a magazine that might have the info. Know of any resources online? Thanks for the suggestions and info please keep them coming. I may Email EAA later this week.

I picked up a Witness P 40 compact at one of the WAC shows a few months ago for $400. It was new but an older model with fixed sights. Called EAA in Florida and they gave me a manufacture date. Give them a call

I found this online, and have Emailed EAA to determine the year of my pistol which is stamped BM on the slide. So I'll post how accurate this is after I hear back from them.

This is for Italian made firearms made from 1954 to 2005. Before that date they used Roman numerals indicating the month and year. Hope this is helpful.

X=1954
XI=1955
XII=1956
XIII=1957
XIV=1958
XV=1959
XVI=1960
XVII=1961
XVIII=1962
XIX=1963
XX=1964
XXI=1965
XXII=1966
XXIII=1967
XXIV=1968
XXV=1969
XXVI=1970
XXVII=1971
XXVIII=1972
XXIX=1973
XXX=1974
AA=1975
AB=1976
AC=1977
AD=1978
AE=1979
AF=1980
AH=1981
AI=1982
AL=1983
AM=1984
AN=1985
AP=1986
AS=1987
AT=1988
AW=1989
AZ=1990
BA=1991
BB=1992
BC=1993
BD=1994
BF=1995
BH=1996
BI=1997
BL=1998
BM=1999
BN=2000
BP=2001
BS=2002
BT=2003
BW=2004
BZ=2005

6/16/1999 Was what EAA got back to me with. So i think the above table is correct. When I asked what conversion kits I could get they told me 22lr, or .40. Now I'm trying to figure out why I cant get the .38, .45, or 10mm conversions that are supposed to be offered for witness-p's

Really happy with the gun picked it up for $380, its ported, its accurate and feels good in my hands. Just wondering what is up since one of the reasons i got it was its flexibility to convert calibers. May have got slightly cheated with an old model, hard to find a ton of info on these guns.

more info I found

"The Pre-Series 88 TZ75/TA90 (original series) were directly comparable to the original Pre-B CZ75. So much so, that some parts and Magazines will interchange. And yes, I have owned both at the same time. Both have now been traded off. The main differences at the time were Sights and Safeties. The original TZ75/TA90's used a Slide Mounted Hammer Drop Safety, while the CZ75 has always used a Frame Mounted Safety. Very early TZ75's/TA90's also had softer metallurgy. Later ones were much better. Notably the production just prior to the Series 88 pistols. Note that TZ75's were imported by FIE Corp and TA90's were imported by Excam Corp. Later on when both Companies went under, Employees from both would form EAA Corp and resume importation of Tanfoglio Pistols. About the same time, Springfield also began importing various Tanfoglio models as the P9, with some actually being finished in the USA.

It should also be noted that between the Pre-Series 88 and actual Series 88 Tanfoglio Pistols there were "Transitional" models with enough variation to drive a sane collector, nuts. These must be assessed/identified on their features and Serial Number range.

Series 88 TZ75/TA90's diverged dimensionally from the original TZ75/TA90 just as the CZ75B did from the Pre-B Series. I've read here that Series 88 Tanfoglio Pistols can use CZ75B/85B magazines, but have no direct experience of this. I do know that Series 88 Tanfoglio Pistols will use EAA Witness/Baby Eagle Magazines for the Series 88 and original Witness small frame. Very few, if any, parts will interchange between the Series 88, later Tanfoglio Pistols, and the CZ75B. EAA will have a stock of some parts for the early Tanfoglio Pistols.

Series 88 Tanfoglio Pistols and later Witnesses with older Serial Numbers prior to the EA Series are dimensionally compatible. EA Series and later Tanfoglio Pistols differ slightly dimensionally from all prior Series. Slides and Frames are typically not directly compatible, although it is possible to fit the Current Slides to the older Frames. It's a real big pain! I don't recommend it.

Swiss AT84 and Asai One Pro Pistols were based on the Series 88 and later Tanfoglio Pistols with magazines directly compatible per frame size. They were also made directly from castings from Tanfoglio with all finish work and barrels made by the Swiss. These were made/imported about the same time frame as the Springfield P9's. The Swiss designs have evolved into a different direction similar to current Sarsilmaz designs and rarely, if ever imported to the USA at this time.

IMI Baby Eagle and Jericho Pistols are based on the Series 88 and later Tanfoglio Pistols with magazines directly compatible per frame size. They are also made directly from castings from Tanfoglio with all finish work and barrels made by IMI/IWI.

Armalite AR24 Series Pistols are based on the original 9mm/.40 Tanfoglio Witness Frame, due to a contract Tanfoglio had with Sarsilmaz and the Turkish Government. My understanding is that they are no longer partnering with Sarsilmaz.

Armscor MAP Series Pistols are based on EA Series Tanfoglio/Witness 9mm/.40 Frame Pistols and are made/finished from Castings and Parts directly supplied by Tanfoglio. Baby Eagle/EAA Witness Magazines will work in these Pistols.

Current, 2005 and later, Witnesses are all built on the larger .45/10mm/.38 Super Frame. The original Tanfoglio 9mm/.40 Frame Pistols (MAP series) have been available from Armscor from time to time."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top