JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the wise gun owner has both a 9mm and a .40 S&W, so you'll always have ammo. :)

BTW, lots of .40 ammo left sitting on the shelves just means they made too much and/or the store stocked too much. .30 Luger is a cartridge that is truly dead, and I don't see piles of it sitting around on store shelves. :D

I'm just talking though. I don't buy factory ammo myself, couldn't care less what's on the store shelves. I don't even buy bullets- make them myself. Personally I'm in no danger whatsoever of running out of either 9mm or .40 S&W (or .45, .44, .38, etc..)

Just to clarify, my last post wasn't meant to disparage aficionados of the venerable old .30 Luger. It's still as good as it ever was, just not often seen in the wild anymore, you know. I'm not a cartridge snob, don't mean to tear down someone else's favorite...

We can't be friends any more.

:D
Was partly trolling. I haven't shot 357sig and don't know much about it. Only owned 1 40 in the past (Baretta Px4) and don't really know if it was the gun or the ammo but it shot pretty easy and was accurate to boot.

But, I am the guy that owns a 1911 in 9mm. So I'm already going to hell :rolleyes:

Today, right now people "need" a gun or if they have a gun they "need" ammo. When all the wonder 9's on the big box store shelves are bought up those with the "need" will look to .380acp and 40 S&W as the next best thing. Same thing with ammo, I have orders for all the 9mm JHP bullets I could find and that's all there is until the supply chain trickles down to the wholesaler level. So very soon I expect to see an upswing in .380 and 40 S&W JHP orders.

Was partly trolling. I haven't shot 357sig and don't know much about it. Only owned 1 40 in the past (Baretta Px4) and don't really know if it was the gun or the ammo but it shot pretty easy and was accurate to boot.

But, I am the guy that owns a 1911 in 9mm. So I'm already going to hell :rolleyes:

1911 in 9mm? I guess I'm going to hell too because I WANT ONE!

I still have USP 40 and XD40SC which I still take the range. I have a fair amount of FMJ rounds. For my XD40SC I use a Barnes TAC-XPD 140gr. I also have few boxes of Speer Gold Dot 180 gr for short barrels since my SC has a 3" barrel. I am sure if they Speer makes short barrel ammo anymore.

For my USP 40 I use 180gr Remington Golden Sabre rounds. I also some 180gr Winchester Ranger Bonded JHP that well. I did my some. 180gr Speer Gold Dots but they are not reliable so I just shoot them at the range.

.40 caliber has been around for a long time...
I even have one...
Its a mix of old and new parts...the lock , barrel and inlays are old...as in from the 1500's...
The stock is a new made replacement.

Wait , this may not be the .40 you were asking about...:eek: :D
Andy
DSC06782.jpg

With as many departments still using it and the thousands upon millions of guns in circulation, it's certainly not dead.

Having a 9, 40, and 45 in the same platform isn't a bad idea. Carry whatever you can feed at the moment. M&P 9, 40, and 45 will all fit in the same holster if made to accommodate the length of the 45.

12 gauge birdshot maybe. The last panic was 2012 after Sandy Hook. The 08-09 panic was nothing compared to that.
I could have recalled still seeing 12g and 40. But you may be right. I get both the ammo panics (08 and 12) confused as similar things happened.. but the whole reason I got back into 12g was thats all I could find.

I recall the .40S&W from the Post-Sandy Hook tragedy(I also associate it with .08 for some reason). All handgun calibers were gone, except .40. Today, I stopped by Bi-Mart to check for TP for my friend with kids & I of course swing by the gun counter to see if they still had any .45ACP's left. .40's stacked on the shelf, gentleman there was cutting open another case of it. "Do you have any .45ACP's left?" "No.... We have lot of 40's though" "Yeah, I can see that! lol".

I also wouldn't say .40's dead, and I'd even love to try it out someday. Having said that, by my observation, it seems to be the least popular out of the most common handgun calibers.

I could have recalled still seeing 12g and 40. But you may be right. I get both the ammo panics (08 and 12) confused as similar things happened.. but the whole reason I got back into 12g was thats all I could find.

08-09 was hiccup based on Obamas election. There was a feeling he might do something and that jittered the market. He didnt and it all calmed down relatively quickly. 2012 was entirely different. That was an earthquake in the market. The whole ridiculous .22LR shortage came out of that. Similar to the current toilet paper fiasco. Nothing on the shelves but 12 gauge birdshot. It really didnt start to go away until 2016-2017 then Trumps election calmed the market and to be honest it got maybe a bit too calm with the threat of many companies not being able to keep high of enough margin to keep running. Yeah ammo is gone right now but this will pass soon as it really has nothing to do with firearms. Parts are still available unlike 2012 where you couldnt find squat.

08-09 was hiccup based on Obamas election. There was a feeling he might do something and that jittered the market. He didnt and it all calmed down relatively quickly. 2012 was entirely different. That was an earthquake in the market. The whole ridiculous .22LR shortage came out of that. Similar to the current toilet paper fiasco. Nothing on the shelves but 12 gauge birdshot. It really didnt start to go away until 2016-2017 then Trumps election calmed the market and to be honest it got maybe a bit too calm with the threat of many companies not being able to keep high of enough margin to keep running. Yeah ammo is gone right now but this will pass soon as it really has nothing to do with firearms. Parts are still available unlike 2012 where you couldnt find squat.
I hope so. Concerned this nonsense will last all the way through the election.

I hope so. Concerned this nonsense will last all the way through the election.

Im MUCH more concerned that this will last longer than a few months and we actually do end up with 20% unemployment and a stock market at $15K or less. Then Trump isnt going to be looking so good and Biden can step in and we get a repeat of 2008 but worse.

Im MUCH more concerned that this will last longer than a few months and we actually do end up with 20% unemployment and a stock market at $15K or less. Then Trump isnt going to be looking so good and Biden can step in and we get a repeat of 2008 but worse.
I hope people will wake up and see this sham for what it really is. I think the goal was to scare the sheep and control the narrative and its worked so far.. but I think we'll see a huge drop off in only a week or two. Id be amazed if this lasted until the end of April. The smoke and mirrors of all of this will eventually come to a close when people will take risk over security.
But anything could happen. I just want weekend plinking ammo instead of dipping into my stash.

.40 S&W isn't dead so long as I've got hundreds of bullets and bags of brass cases. But at the rate I shoot lately, that will be a long time. Only have one in .40 a Glock 23. I've got 10mm's, the bullets are shared.

Cause I can't find 9mm boolits.

I bought a bunch of 9mm's from Midway once, had cannelures for .357 Sig. Production overruns from a Hornady line of ammo.

I've read that one reason for the decline of popularity of the .40 with police departments is this. It's too much cartridge for some officers ( read "female") in modern departments.

If you look at certain guns that come in both 9mm and 40sw the 40's are going for a lot less. Hi-powers, Frame safety Beretta 92's like the steel I, even the CZ TS Orange despite the fact that it is meant for shooting major in competition.

I have bought almost exclusively 9mm's the last few years. Haven't sold any 40's or 45's though. I load for 10mm and 460 Rowland if I want to blow bubblegum up.

40 ammo is a lot cheaper than it was 20 years ago compared to 9 and 45.

Not dead though

Edit, I forgot, I did get a SW performance center shorty forty within the last year, so not all 9's

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads