Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hovercraft in the portland metro area?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jlbob, Apr 22, 2011.

1. jlbob

jlbob Hermiston New Member

Has anyone seen any of these in the portland metro area? If not have you seen them elsewhere in the country? I am considering the feasibility of buying one for a year round sports-craft for fishing, duck/geese hunting, hauling out game, fun, etc.

Am i crazy?

2. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I've always wanted a WWII DUKW for the same reason but starting at $100,000 I'm afraid that's a pipe dream that will just have to stay a dream.

3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

I doubt it. But after you operate one for a while you will either have a dandy supply of hearing protection or be deaf.

Every one I have ever seen was so noisy they were flat-out uncomfortable to be around when they were in operation.

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

5. jlbob

@Kimber Yeah the WWII ones seem to fetch a pretty penny

@Jaime I have never seen one in real life but im told the noise is much better than previous generations, but i dont know how good that is.

@Blitzkrieg That is exactly the model i was looking at, the 19XRW looks like a real hoot though!

I am hoping to eventually find someone who owns one somewhere in the NW to get in touch with to talk about how their experiences.

6. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

So what do these run?

7. jlbob

The one above is priced at $65k but I've seen others for as low as $20k on other websites though.

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Living in the Puget Sound area it's tempting and I have a bookmarks folder of craft like that to ponder

9. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I was watching Storage Wars on TV the other night, the guys found a little one-man hovercraft in a storage unit (hence the program's name) they found it intact & ran it around a short time & then sold it for around $4,000

10. jlbob

That is the show that got me wondering why I haven't seen any around here.

11. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

If you want something that floats this might be the ticket, Amphibious Vehicles - Amphibious ARGO ATV, ARGO AATV, ARGO All Terrain Vehicle I have heard good things about them. The big "downside" is the top speed is fairly slow compared to an ATV.

If you don't care if it floats you need this, 2011 Polaris Sportsman Big Boss 6x6 800 ATV : Overview I am hoping to have the funds for a new one this fall with a track set. There is a company in Spokane that is much cheeper for high end tracks. I have an older model that I have had for a decade now and love it. It has hauled game, wood, gravel, dirt, fire fighting slip tank, tools, kids, ext. I has kept my driveways plowed amazingly and is great for pulling stuff. OH and the best part is you can play and have fun just riding it too.

12. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Silverton High School power mechanics class built a working Hover craft in 1973 using a prop craved by a model airplane nut taking wood shop. It flew around the sports fields for days before hitting something in the grass and off balancing the prop causing it to come apart.

Worked pretty nice if they had had a good brush prop they might have still been running it a year later when I took the class.

13. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Hillsboro, Oregon Member

14. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

pretty dang expensive but cool looking. I would probably go for a long travel sand rail if I had 65K to spendo n a toy but thats just me. Although with dirt tires they do awesome in the desert...

15. jlbob

Great suggestions everyone but i am mainly wondering if anyone Has anyone seen/used a hovercrafts in the portland metro area? Whether it be floating or sitting in someone's garage. I would be interested in seeing one of these in action eventually.

16. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

youtube it. sure you can find more info than anywhere else

17. jlbob

Thanks for the advice RallySoob, but unfortunately none of the videos that I've found are local.