JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Me and the wife are thinking about a spa for the backyard and are looking for some suggestions, brands and size ect. Lots of options out there to choose from. No budget in mind and don't mind used. No need for stereo or Bluetooth ect. Just the two of us and already have the spot prepared off the deck with a pad, 110v and 220v. Thanks in advance.

Note: check your water for calcium or other 'hard water' content.

'Hard water' likes to collect on the surface of hot tubs as the water evaporates when hot, and it can be a PIA when you let it accumulate. I bought my house with a hot tub and turned it off because of the energy cost, only to find the calcium in the water left a coating of very very very hard calcium on the surface of the tub that is almost impossible to remove.

After a lot of searching and shopping around we bought at a show. IE a dealer show at the convention center.

Most shops in town over charge by the thousands. We're as the dealers that come to shows buy in bulk and sell in bulk. So the margin is closer to 200-1000 on each tub.

We too only needed something that seats two. So we were looking at a couple brands in that variant. Ended up with a Master Spa TS240. It is a triangle and technically seats 3, but 2 very comfortably.

If there is anything advice wise, make sure you know that the spa can make its way into your backyard. If you want to do it yourself great, you will save some money if they can drop it off in your driveway. If not and you pay for shipment, be sure to measure clearances and be ready to argue that it can fit. I say this as I measured everything and knew mine would fit. Then ended up paying for a crane service because the delivery agency stated I was going to have to do it myself or have it craned into the backyard. I really didn't feel like arguing, but later learned it is a common practice by most to try and get as much money out of you as possible. So if it is too obvious that your clearances are good, argue it.

Absolutely no clearance issue whatsoever. Very open backyard with trailer access to the backyard and spot that it would go even.

220V heaters are cheaper to run then 110V

Make sure you have an over built base for it to sit on. THEY WEIGH A LOT.

Vinyl covers only last about 3 years if left to the weather (rain and then Sun) a gazebo is a huge improvement to make the whole thing last longer. Weather is also very hard on any external wood.

Keep up on all maintenance all the time

I see hot-tubs/spas as an expensive pot for making human broth... :s0170:

Yea, be prepared for a huge increase in your monthly electrical usage, water usage isn't as bad but will still be higher, chemicals to keep it clean and yearly seal replacements.

They are nice when kept well, I had one at my parents house growing up - guess who got to clean and maintaine it...:rolleyes:

My experience is that you'll probably use it a lot...for about a month. Then very infrequently. I had one of those semi portable 110v units (Softub) a few years ago. Bought it used, enjoyed it sporadically for a couple years and sold it for more than I paid. I felt like the luckiest hot tub owner ever. Never noticed a change in my power bill.
Another piece of advice I can give is on the chemicals. I was given a bunch of chlorine-free chemicals (Baqua?) when I bought it. They're supposed to be gentle on your skin but aren't compatible with traditional chlorine chemicals. Unless you have really sensitive skin, stick with chlorine. The tub will stay cleaner way longer.

I can't say there is a huge increase to my monthly bill. Maybe an extra 8 dollars or so. Water bill doesn't see a huge hike as I only replace the water about once every 4 months. I've never looked hard enough to see a difference.

A lot depends on the persons hygiene and health. If you aren't the healthiest your body secretes a lot of stuff that isn't the greatest for long term water storage which is essentially what a hot tub is. This combined with how often you use it is what adds all the fun stuff that needs to be cleaned and treated.

Also, consider most people like to use there tubs after the day at work. If your a heavy sweater or use a lot of products like deodorant or hair gels. Or if your wife covers herself in lotion in the morning, consider a quick shower before heading in. It will keep the water much cleaner overall. Just remember whatever is on you, usually ends up staying in the tub.

Our water is pretty well balanced as is so I don't need to attempt to get the ph higher than it comes out the tap. I usually just add 3 teaspoons of chlorine after we get out each time and it keeps it pretty balanced. If your chlorine sensitive make sure to add your chlorine 6-8 hours in advance or like I do usually after each use. If we haven't used it in two to three days I'll add the same amount at those intervals.

We use ours roughly 2-4 times a week sometimes more. We have owned it for about 2 years and definitely do not regret the investment.

A great buy is a product called the scum-bug. A little floating Styrofoam thingy that absorbs oils. Great for keeping body oils at bay.

We had a Marquis Rendezvous spa for about 10 years before I sawed it in half and took it to the dump.

It was about 150gallon and a bit hard to keep the chem balance, but an ozonater solved that problem.

I sure miss it when it's cold out or I don't feel well.

I see hot-tubs/spas as an expensive pot for making human broth... :s0170:

Years ago I had received a dogbite that refused to heal, even after two courses of antibiotics, after spending a few minutes sitting in a hot tub for a couple of
weeks, the injury healed up without a scar--my first exposure to the miracle that is the hot tub, & I suspect they can do more for a persons health

And here I thought you wanted to know what the best storage options were to keep your gun handy next to the hot tub. Amateur. :):)
I absolutely love our hot tub, but I would have never paid big money for it. We had good friends that bought a home and didn't like hot tubs, so for the hassle and cost of moving and installing it we have one. I have pretty severe pain almost everyday and I like to stay really active. The 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week are absolutely wonderful. It is like a horse, even though you might not use it everyday you still have to feed and take care of it everyday.

Ok. Here's what you need to know. Don't buy a 110. The way they work is by turning off the heater when you run the jet pump on high speed. You water gets cold fast.
I worked at marquis spas in the RnD department for 23 years. We bought other mfgs spas every few years to make sure we built a better product. And they do. Made in independence OR. So it's close if you have trouble. I no longer am employed there but would recommend at lest a look.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top