JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
My husband had his full annual medical exam a couple of weeks ago.

The mass media says one thing (LOL) but his doctor for about 28 to 30 years, his very well known hospital in town where he has his lab work done and connected to my husband's doctor, the nurses, reception and lab people said something else when it comes to BEING BUSY and there were NO noticeable crowds or people waiting to be seen.
The current surge has not hit all areas uniformly. On the west coast it started in CA and moved north. My daughter, who lives in So Cal, and her family were all sick in July. Her significant other was particularly hard hit, bed ridden for a month. At the same time, nothing was going on here in the mid Willamette Valley. You are fortunate that things are not bad where you live. If you are lucky it will stay that way.
No opinion, just a couple data points for you:

I have a friend who works at Riverbend in Springfield. We were talking about this maybe a week ago. He said that a month previous there had only been a handful of people in the hospital; now there's over a hundred. He's being asked daily to send any spare equipment to places like Roseburg and Coos Bay because they're inundated with covid patients.

On a national note, I was on a meeting at work, with several regions represented covering most of the country. You know the oxygen that they use in the ventilators in hospitals? We make it. There was a discussion that we're really having a hard time keeping up in some parts of the country because hospital demand is so high.
A month ago nothing was going on here in Salem. As I have mentioned a couple of times in various threads, when I passed by the drive-thru testing lanes at Salem Clinic previously, they were empty. Last week they were backed up out of the parking lot, into the street, and down the block. I heard there was a 3 hour wait.

Yes, there are staffing shortages. But there were staffing shortages a month ago and it wasn't the problem it is now.

I can confirm the reports of an outbreak in the Roseburg area. I am in touch with friends down there and I hear the same.

Not fear mongering. Just facts.

During a previous Administration a hospital ship was called up, field hospitals were being set up across the country. Why is that not happening now?

During a previous Administration a hospital ship was called up, field hospitals were being set up across the country. Why is that not happening now?

That's an interesting question. The USNS Comfort was sent to NYC, but was under utilized and ended up leaving without contributing much. At the same time, the field hospital set up at the Javitz Center largely went unused. Politics? Had they used them, it would have made Trump look good. Are politicians that cynical? I think so.

Otherwise, you might have to say the whole pandemic thing is a hoax and they weren't needed in the first place. IMO there is too much evidence to the contrary. Forget the media reports, I just know too many people who have been seriously ill or know someone who has died.

ETA: Could it be the current administration is just clueless and totally incompetent? Or maybe things just aren't that bad yet.

In Hawaii 2 weeks ago I had a patient in the ER who needed to be hospitalized with a non-covid illness. But there were no beds open in the state. He elected to leave the ER and try to fly the 6 hours to the mainland to find a hospital. He made it as far as one island over before having to call 911. Luckily for him, a patient died and opened up an ICU bed on that island. If he got on the plane he would have died during the flight.

In the ER 200 yards from me right now, they have patients spending their entire hospital stay in the hallway since there are no beds open.

The compounding crisis is that healthcare workers are leaving their jobs in a flood. After a year and a half of having inadequate PPE, inadequate pay and overwhelmed with patients who are yelling at them (that is, until they cant breath anymore) no one wants to do this job anymore. This is after decades of for profit hospitals paying admins and CEO's more and more every year.

Imagine being a nurse for 20 years, being overwhelmed and having a bunch of staff quit or retire early, then the hospital paying a visiting nurse $8000-9000 a week without giving the existing staff a raise.

This is the time to quit smoking. eat healthy, avoid any risky behaviors, etc since if you need to be in the hospital for any reason you may not be getting a bed or even a full team to take care of you.
Yea, an outfit's capacity is limited by its size. Pretty soon it'll be a "bed" and a bandaid and a politicized told you so shaming on the news.

That's a very revealing chart. I was composing my post above before you added that. I suppose there are a couple of explanations. That article is dated 5/20. Either they were successful in "flattening the curve," or they weren't needed in the first place. But by all accounts, things were pretty bad in NY. What do you think?

That's a very revealing chart. I was composing my post above before you added that. I suppose there are a couple of explanations. That article is dated 5/20. Either they were successful in "flattening the curve," or they weren't needed in the first place. But by all accounts, things were pretty bad in NY. What do you think?
If hospitals are truly being overwhelmed then field hospitals seem like a logical solution. Ultimately the decision to build field hospitals has to come down from the top, either at the federal level or the state level. Maybe the hospitals are not really overwhelmed or maybe there is a failure of leadership.

Edit: I understand providing staffing for more beds may be as big or a bigger issue than the beds themselves. We may have to reach deep in the bench line up to provide more staffing. A sort of Emergency Use Authorization for Nurses and Doctors. Break some rules to get the needed staff.

Last Edited:
If hospitals are truly being overwhelmed then field hospitals seem like a logical solution. Ultimately the decision to build field hospitals has to come down from the top, either at the federal level or the state level. Maybe the hospitals are not really overwhelmed or maybe there is a failure of leadership.
Apparently hospitals are not overwhelmed everywhere. But disease incidence seems to have increased in the Salem area in the last month or so. This conclusion is not based on government statistics, just personal observations and anecdotal information. Is nothing going on in the Wilsonville area?

Remember when this first kicked off and Gov'ness Brownstain activated the National Guard to build that field hospital @ the Salem Fairgrounds, and then sent everyone home after nobody was ever sent there for covid? Yea, they don't report that, even though it was at the Hight of the covid deaths according to the most trusted MSM kooks who were telling us it was an epic number and all the hospitals were overwhelmed! Wife was still working the trauma ward during all this, and she said every night that the numbers of actual Covid were YUGELY inflated, mostly so the facilities would get the funds from the "Stimulus Payments."

Here we are again, overwhelmed ( So they tell us, with out any verifiable proof) and yet, Gov'ness Brownstain has not activated the National Guard, except for the state hospital to take care of the incarcerated after half the staff walked off!

Apparently hospitals are not overwhelmed everywhere. But disease incidence seems to have increased in the Salem area in the last month or so. This conclusion is not based on government statistics, just personal observations and anecdotal information. Is nothing going on in the Wilsonville area?
Sunshine and rainbows here:)

I am still waiting to see people dropping like flies on the sidewalk or supermarket aisles but nothing so far.

I read a lot but there are so many lies that you can't believe anything unless you see it for yourself. Lots of stories about full hospitals but not many pictures. Have you seen any pictures of any of the NW hospitals full. I don't have TV but I am searching the net constantly yet the stories have no pictures.

Is it all pro Vax propaganda or is it true.

China released videos of it. Strangely it doesn't seem to have happened anywhere else.
I was meaning Oregon, and in the recent surge. Sorry for not being more specific. And there were also such videos out of Iran in the early days. I was chastised severely for posting a couple of them, but I digress.

I read a lot but there are so many lies that you can't believe anything unless you see it for yourself. Lots of stories about full hospitals but not many pictures. Have you seen any pictures of any of the NW hospitals full. I don't have TV but I am searching the net constantly yet the stories have no pictures.

Is it all pro Vax propaganda or is it true.

It could just be more of this:

As of this post, several sources, like the one below, have yet to retract the story.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top