JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Top of the Morn'n to ya...

I purchased the Hornady Headspace Gauge thinking it would be a good tool to measure my brass for consistency. I am beginning to think I wasted my money... I'm not sure how to use the dang thing which could be my problem. I am trying to measure my .308 brass, and am not sure what measurement I should have. Has anyone ever used it and does it work well for you, or did I waste my money? Any insight can help... :huh:

Thanks,

Bobby

I use Sinclair International's Insert Style Bullet Comparator/Bump Gauge Body with the appropriate bullet insert and bump gauge insert.

The body is a clone/copy of the Hornady item. Sinclair's inserts are far superior to Hornady's offerings. The Sinclair bullet insert allows you to measure case to the bullet ogive. This is a much more accurate way to measure seating depth. Rather than measuring to meplat(end of bullet). The bump gauge insert measures the case base to the shoulder datum. This measurement, on a fire formed piece of brass, is what you want to set your FL sizing die to bump the shoulder back down once it gets difficult to chamber or operate the bolt.

<broken link removed> and the rest of the stickies are excellent threads on this stuff.

I hope this helps.

The body is a clone/copy of the Hornady item. Sinclair's inserts are far superior to Hornady's offerings. The Sinclair bullet insert allows you to measure case to the bullet ogive. This is a much more accurate way to measure seating depth. Rather than measuring to meplat(end of bullet). The bump gauge insert measures the case base to the shoulder datum. This measurement, on a fire formed piece of brass, is what you want to set your FL sizing die to bump the shoulder back down once it gets difficult to chamber or operate the bolt.

This can be done with the Hornady tool as well. Just use the bullet inserts rather than the headspace inserts. The key to both tools is a good caliper. The rest is pretty much the "name on the box". Results are the same.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top