JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2016 Minnesota Statutes
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:
(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;

**The rest of the statute deals with hunting accidents, vicious animals and death of a child and so forth not relating to the facts of this case.**

The prosecution wouldnt want me on this jury because the facts as we read them do not warrant a conviction as charged, as far as Im concerned. And I can be a stubborn man.
I might go for conviction on a lesser offense, if available under Minnesota laws. A high misdemeanor at most.
That's just me, YMMV.
:eek:Shooting a running punk is tragic for the punk, but does the world a favor, IMO. And yes, I understand the laws involving negligent homicide/manslaughter etc. I just don't think an old man should be charged with a felony and put away for this...

And what law school did you get your law degree from?

There are no misdemeanors that could possibly cover this incident. None exist. If you do believe that there is one that could be used in this case, then please cite it.

The homeowner made a conscious decision to put this 19 yr old's life at risk, just as the statute states. This was NOT AN ACCIDENT. His actions were deliberate.

And ten years is the MAXIMUM sentence that a person can get when convicted of this crime. If you look at Minnesota's sentencing guidelines chart, an honest law-abiding person with no criminal history can receive a sentence as low as 3 years and 5 months, for a severity 8 crime like this one.

Furthermore, if you research Minnesota's criminal justice system, you will see that felons ( other than those convicted for the most serious crimes ), only served two thirds of their sentence in prison. The remaining third of the sentence is served while released on parole.

So what does this mean for this farmer? He could be looking at spending only something like 27 months inside a prison. That is hardly the rest of his life.

I would definitely have to say that I feel that a couple of years in prison is warranted in a case like this. People need to respect and obey the law.

Taking another person's life is a big deal.

Now I admit that this kid was a drug addict, and took cocaine, marijuana and benzodiazepines. His worse criminal conviction was for financial fraud, stealing money from personal bank accounts. He was just looking for stuff to steal that he could fence in order to get drugs for his addiction. He did not want to hurt anyone. He just wanted to steal from honest and decent people, so that he could fuel his drug habit.

But other than being a drug fiend and a thief, the teen was said to otherwise be a nice young man. Here is a photo of him with his young niece:

13214643_1469465249.3122.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top