JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Poor judgment on the homeowners part. Suxs that one cannot protect what he has worked hard to achieve. Sending a message that we should just leave our doors unlocked and let the bassturds take what they want unabated!!!! Thanks GOV!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

He said he was shooting at the tires.:rolleyes:

Still doesn't justify shooting at a fleeing suspect. The threat ended when the suspects retreated. I suspect that adrenalin took over and overrode logical thought. A very expensive reaction. I have to feel sorry for him. Not only will he probably end up in prison, he'll have to live with the knowledge that he took someones life.

He saw the person jump from the deck and crawl toward a car, at which point he grabbed a .45 caliber handgun and tried to shoot the tires of the car. Pettersen said he was about 10 feet from the car when he fired two or three shots.
Yes it sucks. If I ended up on his jury they would get a hung at best, BUT he made a VERY stupid choice.

Still doesn't justify shooting at a fleeing suspect. The threat ended when the suspects retreated. I suspect that adrenalin took over and overrode logical thought. A very expensive reaction. I have to feel sorry for him. Not only will he probably end up in prison, he'll have to live with the knowledge that he took someones life.
Family of the trash he shot will of course sue and win also. Very expensive mistake.

Speaking from experience I understand the feelings of being scared and angry when someone attempts to break into your house.

But shooting at them as they are fleeing is not a good idea for many reasons.

I can not "fault" the homeowner so to speak.
I understand the desire and motive for doing it ... Just don't do it.
You at best can put other folks at danger when shooting in such a emotional state or at worst have a "bad" shoot , such as we have here.
So again do not shoot at a fleeing home invader ....

And as try I might to see "both sides of the story" ...
I can only say that if you don't want to run the risk of getting shot or getting shot , then don't commit a crime.
Andy

In a case involving a housebreaker(s), I could live with it. o_O

Really bad choice by the homeowner and now he is going to pay for it. You know the courts/prosecutors around the country are always keeping an eye open for cases like this, looking to make examples of people that own guns to defend themselves. Of course the Bloomy folks will run with this one too - thank goodness Hillary didn't win or we'd be staring down the throat of a SCOTUS tipped fully in their favor.

I do have to wonder though - how many folks know that it's illegal to shoot at someone that is fleeing? Someone who is no longer an imminent threat to you or your family? I know most, if not all of us here know that, but if you've only bought a gun for home defense, never taken a class for CHL, etc., how would you be informed about that law? Is it just assumed anyone that buys/owns a gun will know that law? Just curious.

... I know most, if not all of us here know that, but if you've only bought a gun for home defense, never taken a class for CHL, etc., how would you be informed about that law? Is it just assumed anyone that buys/owns a gun will know that law? Just curious.

Dunno. Doesn't matter either, ignorance of the law...

Had to chat with my folks a bit about NOT shooting thru there bedroom door, should there house get robbed while they're asleep again. As a simple example.

etrain, you bring up very good points. I agree also that it is preaching to the choir on this forum (hopefully!) about self defense laws. There is pretty much an assumption that everyone should know all the laws...which is obviously unreasonable. However, when it comes to using deadly force and taking a life, folks better educate themselves. Like most of us, I've heard way to many dangerous myths given to people about home and self defense. Train, shoot in competitions to create a stressful environment and strive to understand the laws.

Really bad choice by the homeowner and now he is going to pay for it. You know the courts/prosecutors around the country are always keeping an eye open for cases like this, looking to make examples of people that own guns to defend themselves. Of course the Bloomy folks will run with this one too - thank goodness Hillary didn't win or we'd be staring down the throat of a SCOTUS tipped fully in their favor.

I do have to wonder though - how many folks know that it's illegal to shoot at someone that is fleeing? Someone who is no longer an imminent threat to you or your family? I know most, if not all of us here know that, but if you've only bought a gun for home defense, never taken a class for CHL, etc., how would you be informed about that law? Is it just assumed anyone that buys/owns a gun will know that law? Just curious.

Good point. I would have to "hope" most would not want to shoot at someone running away though just out of common sense. Shooter claims he was trying to shoot out tires. I'm sorry but how stupid is this? While I have zero feelings of loss that the thief died but, still, trying to shoot out the tires? Law or not it sounds like an example of someone who should not own a gun to me.

Not enough info. I would think if threats were made or other weapons were found there could be a case made for the home owner. I hope it's not just an open & shut case were someone gets to try and break in an occupied house @ 7am for a possible home invasion and people cry when a bad guy dies.

I don't want to shoot someone its that simple. I will to protect my life and the life of my loved ones but you have to be aware of your surroundings and if the threat is not there as in this case from what I have read, then the guy should have read the license plate and called 911.

Gun owner play a stupid game and won the stupid prize......dammit!

I wanted to put myself in his position. Fieldon Township, just south of Medelia Min.
Google Maps

Living right in the heart of the "Big City"(?) (I actually prefer to call it something that rhymes with city but starts with shhhhh) I have a different perspective from someone out in the country. Looks to be pretty easy to know where your bullet may go out there yeah?. It's still wrong to shoot at fleeing scum-dog would-be thieves though! If I lived out in the boonies I would truly be in fear of my life if someone came clear the hell out there to break into my house! That intersection is dead center in the 38 sq mile "Township". Population 246 in 2000.

Shooting at fleeing thieves is going to get you in trouble, but, what if they were armed, and fleeing?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top