JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning on making homemade summer sausage using a kit that has all of the seasoning and cure in it. I will be smoking and slowing heating then in the smoker. If they are vacuum sealed, how long can I keep them without refrigeration? The ones you buy in the store Can keep for awhile without refrigeration. Is there really much if a difference between the two?

My thought is rancidity. Fat and oil turn quickly at room temperatures. The same as jerky; most commercial jerky makers suggest refrigeration once opened and to use the unopened by the " best date".
All commercial makers vacuum pack there products using better equipment than what we home makers can get.Best of luck.

I'm planning on making homemade summer sausage using a kit that has all of the seasoning and cure in it. I will be smoking and slowing heating then in the smoker. If they are vacuum sealed, how long can I keep them without refrigeration? The ones you buy in the store Can keep for awhile without refrigeration. Is there really much if a difference between the two?

There is a HUGE difference!!!! The crap from a store is mostly preservatives with some "meat slurry" mixed in. Expect any home processed meats to last maybe a week or two in real cool weather. You might look in to dry canning the summer sausage. I have had this on the list to research and try.

What type of summer sausage? Might be better to make a different type of sausage.
Jerky that is made correctly will last a very long time if kept dry and no bugs.
Sausage's where a way to storage meat for long periods of time. So do some more research of the subject.
A lot of foods can be stored. Fermenting, dehydrating, smoking and they do not need a lot of special handling in storage just clean and dry.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top