JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning on making homemade summer sausage using a kit that has all of the seasoning and cure in it. I will be smoking and slowing heating then in the smoker. If they are vacuum sealed, how long can I keep them without refrigeration? The ones you buy in the store Can keep for awhile without refrigeration. Is there really much if a difference between the two?

My thought is rancidity. Fat and oil turn quickly at room temperatures. The same as jerky; most commercial jerky makers suggest refrigeration once opened and to use the unopened by the " best date".
All commercial makers vacuum pack there products using better equipment than what we home makers can get.Best of luck.

I'm planning on making homemade summer sausage using a kit that has all of the seasoning and cure in it. I will be smoking and slowing heating then in the smoker. If they are vacuum sealed, how long can I keep them without refrigeration? The ones you buy in the store Can keep for awhile without refrigeration. Is there really much if a difference between the two?

There is a HUGE difference!!!! The crap from a store is mostly preservatives with some "meat slurry" mixed in. Expect any home processed meats to last maybe a week or two in real cool weather. You might look in to dry canning the summer sausage. I have had this on the list to research and try.

What type of summer sausage? Might be better to make a different type of sausage.
Jerky that is made correctly will last a very long time if kept dry and no bugs.
Sausage's where a way to storage meat for long periods of time. So do some more research of the subject.
A lot of foods can be stored. Fermenting, dehydrating, smoking and they do not need a lot of special handling in storage just clean and dry.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top