JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depending if you want wires or not for cameras, I've used Blink cameras in the past with good results. They are wifi, so no wires to run.
good luck!

The no-wires thing is a puzzlement to me. I get no network wires with wifi but every active device, like a camera, is surely going to need power. Are they battery operated? If so, how often do the batteries need to be replaced?

Yah, another vote for simplisafe here.

Another nice feature is the battery in the base station, system still works during a power outage.

Hooked ours up to a UPS pack to further extend power outage run time, should there be an extended outage.

For cameras I went with a stand alone wired system with a DVR from Costco.

Figured that most criminals don't want to deal with any security system, and those that do "may" have countermeasures for it. Having counter measures for several different systems, AND to get targeted? Markedly unlikely.

The no-wires thing is a puzzlement to me. I get no network wires with wifi but every active device, like a camera, is surely going to need power. Are they battery operated? If so, how often do the batteries need to be replaced?
You use Lithium AA, they say two years run time.. I have a couple that have been over two years, and a few others in really active areas that have lasted just over a year without the need for replacement. It's kind of crazy actually how long they last, and the motion feature is much better than when I tried the Arlo cameras. The object would be out of the frame before the Arlo would start recording. The Blink turns on immediately.

For at home nothing beats a dog. as a alarm

When you're at work and the contractor accidentally leaves the back gate open, when the mailperson rings your ring doorbell you can (as you watch the screen on your phone you see your pup on the front porch sitting nicely behind the mailperson and not snarling or biting thank the dear lord) 1st) Tell the pup: SIT (he does). Then listen as your daughter, who is in the next state over on a trip, asks the mailperson "is there a black truck in the driveway? That's the contractors truck." He's in the back yard, hears the 3 way conversation on the front porch so he calls the dog and it all ends happily.

The ring can screen any nefarious looking idiots ringing your doorbell who you don't know, and you can talk to them even if you are in Hawaii laying on a beach. The motion alone can be set to give your phone a nudge and you can simply start screaming into your phone based on what your camera is showing you: HEY, HOODIE A*S**HOLE WTF ARE YOU DOING IN MY DRIVEWAY NEAR MY TRUCK ?!!!!"

Ours is wireless. It needs power to wherever each camera it is mounted. No running of signal wires back to the computer/ DVR module from each one though. The base station has a 10 inch (maybe) screen to view what's going on and is easy to also connect to the TV for larger viewing. The cameras sync in automatically as soon as you plug them in. We have six cameras though the unit will take eight. It does the remote cell phone control and viewing and cloud stuff but ours is not on line and we have no cell phone. it records six cameras 24-7 for about a week before then starts recording over the older stuff as needed so it has a large memory system. We paid less then 400 for everything and has been working for over four years now without a hitch other than having to re-sync a camera now and again by unplugging it and plugging it in again.
The day pictures are in clear real life color and the night stuff very clear black and white as each camera has a circle of red lights for night time vision. I think you can set it up to record when things move, but I don't. I don't believe it does sound but I never really looked.
it was easy to install. playback is fairly easy but customer service has been nonexistent for me after several attempts. I have saved some video but cannot play it back anywhere except the unit, like on my computer or to share it with others, like the police.. I could not find a program that would allow it, but then I'm the last guy to be able to figure those things out.. I suspect it is really set up for the Phone people. (they've taken over the earth) There are no ongoing fees. Ours is called Crystal Vision, besides the ability to see and record all that's going on with our property (which includes all entries to the house, vehicles, and out buildings) , the entertainment value itself from activity in the neighborhood, both animal and human has made it a worthwhile expenditure.

Mine the door/ window sensors, the motion sensors, key pad, and the base unit all have batteries. Base unit is plugged in but has a rechargeable battery in it that is supposed to be good for 24 hours in a power failure. The sensors claim they will go many years and will tell you when they are running low. The camera that came with it is dependent on house power and WiFi but, the only point in it is so if alarm goes off they and or you can see if anyone is there. So if house loses power who system still in active and alarm goes out with cell service. The people monitoring would not be able to see on the camera but they would get the alarm and call me. If they did not get a all clear from me they will call police.
I have an UPS for the WiFi here and will put a small one on the camera but it will only be good for a short time here. Every time the power goes out here the cable also drops in less than an hour even when I have the stuff here powered up.

Mine the door/ window sensors, the motion sensors, key pad, and the base unit all have batteries. Base unit is plugged in but has a rechargeable battery in it that is supposed to be good for 24 hours in a power failure. The sensors claim they will go many years and will tell you when they are running low. The camera that came with it is dependent on house power and WiFi but, the only point in it is so if alarm goes off they and or you can see if anyone is there. So if house loses power who system still in active and alarm goes out with cell service. The people monitoring would not be able to see on the camera but they would get the alarm and call me. If they did not get a all clear from me they will call police.
I have an UPS for the WiFi here and will put a small one on the camera but it will only be good for a short time here. Every time the power goes out here the cable also drops in less than an hour even when I have the stuff here powered up.

Yup, & another super plus for SimpliSafe is monitored smoke detectors.

Mayhaps other systems have them now, but there response time is VY fast. Had a "chirping" going on, & couldn't figure out if it was the standard smoke detectors, or a SimpliSafe. Took the battery out of a SimpliSafe detector to check & they were on the phone to us in seconds...

Edit: chirping was a regular detector...

Last Edited:
Yup, & another super plus for SimpliSafe is monitored smoke detectors.

Mayhaps other systems have them now, but there response time is VY fast. Had a "chirping" going on, & couldn't figure out if it was the standard smoke detectors, or a SimpliSafe. Took the battery out of a SimpliSafe detector to check & they were on the phone to us in seconds...

Edit: chirping was a regular detector...
Yes I noticed they offered a few things I did not yet take. One was smoke detectors, another was water and freeze. Don't need the freeze here of course but in some places I can see this being great, same with water. If you have a basement you can put in a sensor to call if water starts coming in, like places that have a sump pump. If it fails it would call you to tell you. Could really save a disaster from happening.

Yes I noticed they offered a few things I did not yet take. One was smoke detectors, another was water and freeze. Don't need the freeze here of course but in some places I can see this being great, same with water. If you have a basement you can put in a sensor to call if water starts coming in, like places that have a sump pump. If it fails it would call you to tell you. Could really save a disaster from happening.

Yah, or laundry in a basement...

I would also recommend simpisafe. I've had their system installed on my house for about a year now since we had a creep try to break in our home.
I have a sensor on every point of entry and 4 cameras including the door bell cam. It's been great so far.

My wife and I have been talking the talk for too long now about getting some sort of a home security system.

Since I'm close to retirement I'm generally reluctant to add any new monthly charges.

I live in a good neighborhood with trustworthy neighbors, I'd prefer to be notified and call one of them, and the cops, than having a SWAT team show up because a squirrel chewed on a wire.

Recommendations gladly accepted :)
I would go with ring cameras (there are several different models, "spotlight cam battery" is the one we have). Wireless and no monthly fee. Sends alert to ur phone when movement is detected and records video and u can watch/hear what's going on live and use intercom if desired. This can be done from anywhere u are with ur phone. Then if u don't like what u see u can call the cops. Takes 1 or two rechargeable batteries which last about 40-60 days each depending on how much use and how often lights turn on (can be set to not turn on also).

U can also customize motion detect zone size, sensitivity, turn off right, middle, left detection zones independently (fe if busy street etc in that zone) and schedule for when it detects or not detects.

U can also have it set off an alarm in the camera if u want or link the cameras to each other so that when 1 detects motion they all activate. U can also set it so it takes photos periodically and gives you a time lapse video of the day (I've never tried this feature).

I put one of ours on our vacant rental property 4 sale and could see everyone coming and going and hear what they were saying/doing. Excellent peace of mind and I prefer it over our old adt alarm system we had in our old house.

Last Edited:
We had a 4-camera unit by Lorex at our place in Madison County. It worked great until they "upgrades" their app. Then it was useless. After months....MONTHS!!!... of haggling with Lorex they sent us a new hard-drive/recorder. We will try it in the Salem place but I have a twitch about Lorex now. When it worked, it had day time and night vision (IR) and it was very clear but it had about a 3-second delay. The alert system was good. The batteries didn't really like sub-zero temperatures and need to be charged frequently but that was easy. The batteries inside lasted for long periods. Lorex seems to have improved with their upgraded products. They are not cheap.

In the interim waiting for Lorex customer non-service to finish jerking us around, we went with RioLink. These are outstanding. They have all the cool amenities (night vision, audio, solar charging, alerts, clear view on both cell phone and pc, wide angle). They are easy to set up and easy to install on the app. They are wi-fi. I am adding RioLink units at the MT place. Solar and wi-fi make them a good fit.

I had a GS. He was sired by some serious parents with credentials. He was totally bonded to our family members. Very smart. We were very rural. We had an attempted "visit" shall we say. But that's another story. I haven't had a dog since.

I've got the ring. It's just ok.
And I've got the dog and signs posted below

09B8084B-FC22-4115-822C-6BD0A5ED3A42.jpeg 032C632D-0603-43E3-90F7-3868F87F128C.jpeg

You have to decide if your system will be connected to the internet or not, and if so, whether it will call the cops or some security outfit, or not.

Personally I don't want the expense and hassle of calling someone out here, or having any subscription. I just want basic recording; I'll take care of any problem myself. o_O So I have a wired system that saves video to a local hard drive. No connection to the internet, so no internet security worries. The one thing I need to do, is replace the outward-facing camera with something that can read license plate numbers at night. Of course this won't work if the criminals have the sense to cover up their license plates.

I wanted to get a neighborhood camera setup going, since access is limited and it would benefit everyone to record everybody who comes through. But that fizzled; nobody seemed interested, even though we've had a couple of trailer thefts over the past year.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews