JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it should be mandatory for someone prosecuting gun laws and firearms related incidents to actually know WTF they're talking about, before they're allowed to introduce any firearms related evidence.
No they should have Homie there and when someone says something stupid about guns or clip well they get the treatment ! tenor.gif

Well, we just may be splittin' hairs a little bit here.

I've blew up thousands of sage rats and rock chucks over many years. After the red mist settles, and their body parts have fallen out of the sky, not a single rat said it wasn't an explosion.

Yes, the prosecutor would have been slightly more accurate if he's said hollow point bullets, traveling at great speed, expand and fragment violently, destroying everything in the immense wound channel. :D

I've blew up thousands of sage rats and rock chucks over many years. After the red mist settles, and their body parts have fallen out of the sky, not a single rat said it wasn't an explosion.

Yes, the prosecutor would have been slightly more accurate if he's said hollow point bullets, traveling at great speed, expand and fragment violently, destroying everything in the immense wound channel. :D
agreed, hollowpoints from my .22-250 or my 6mm rem pretty much exploded on rock chucks.

I highly suspect the DA knew about bullets and how they react but was trying to confuse the issue as intimidation.

The guy is a lot of things no doubt but one thing is he is crafty and unrelenting and was obviously doing his best to get KR to break down again, or maybe something worse such as a violent outbreak.

It almost looked like some sort of psychological torture at one point.

Prosecutor has no business asking him about ammunition that was not even in the gun. Might as well ask him about how full auto machine guns from World War I work. Has zero relevance.

Last Edited:

Humm......you mean like this? Start at 1:21.

My friends from Hawaii have hunted (those pesky critters) here in WA and OR using their ARs. They have reported similar results even with FMJs. "You just gotta hit um in the correct spot."

Aloha, Mark

PS....and for the FUDDs who say that the AR isn't useful for hunting.

Last Edited:
Regardless of whether the bullets explode or not that has nothing to do with the fact it was a justified shooting for self defense. I'd have a field day with that guy. The facts of the case are singularly related to if it was justified self defense or not - that point has already been settled by the attacker admitting he was pointing a gun at Kyle when he was shot. The rest of it is moot and is only for political purposes.

Regardless of whether the bullets explode or not that has nothing to do with the fact it was a justified shooting for self defense. I'd have a field day with that guy. The facts of the case are singularly related to if it was justified self defense or not - that point has already been settled by the attacker admitting he was pointing a gun at Kyle when he was shot. The rest of it is moot and is only for political purposes.
He was not using hollow points

I think the prosecutor's word choice was deliberate, not ignorant. There should be no doubt the prosecution wants to float inflammatory wording in front of the jury, so planting the mental picture of an "exploding bullet" was a calculated tactic. Uninformed jurors - maybe even sleepy jurors - would get that mental picture without differentiating between "hollow point" (which is actually irrelevant) and "FMJ" (the actual load used by the defendant).

The defense lawyer could have objected, but is not permitted to "correct" the prosecutor. At best, an objection would have gotten an "off the record" sidebar discussion of the irrelevancy, but the jury wouldn't hear a word of it. The judge's "on the record" request for clarification got the contrasting (and correct) word "expand" in front of the jury and may have taken some of the edge off the prosecutor's tactic. To the prosecutor, it was worth getting that tiny bit of egg on his face; the damage he intended was already done.

The ironic thing is that the prosecutor was running down the path that he should have had hollow points to reduce over penetration.
I got the distinct impression that this was the direction he was headed. Rather than use the proper term "over-penetration" he chose anti-gun rhetoric. Kyle's answer was perfect. He doesn't know much about ammunition. Funny how consistent you can be when you just tell the truth.

The DA was trying to get Kyle to admit that by loading Full Metal Jacket ammunition instead of Hollowpoints, he intentionally endangered the bystanders behind the people he shot due to his assertion that .223 FMJ overpenetrates.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top