JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In general, how do we feel about this one?
Nirvana in a can?
Overpriced crap?
...also, do you use it for both handgun and shotgun loads?
Just looking for general experiences.

Dean

From my limited knowledge of this powder I've gleaned enough to know that it is well-suited for certain handgun calibers, along with shotguns (which I never intend to load). I'll let those with vast amounts of knowledge to clue me in on it.;)

SUBSCRIBED.

Yes clays can be used for both shotgun and certain pistol loads. It can spike pressures pretty quick when nearing top loads so proceed with caution. 38 special, 45 ACP and 9mm are commonly used with this powder for many people.

Last Edited:

Now, I've personally not used it as I'm very partial to bullseye for those particular loads, but I do know of others who have used it with succes.

As always, go slow and watch for pressure signs and increased recoil as a guide in addition to the inter web load suggestions.

I use both Hodgdon Universal and Hodgdon Clays for handgun loads.

8469E2AC-8F83-4B55-88CE-B5E08295E67F.jpeg

I understand there is also a Hodgdon Universal that says Clays Technology on the label; not sure the difference that makes from the Universal label . So it can get a little confusing, and load data is not interchangeable. As such, I wanted to inquire which powder the OP was asking about.

Last Edited:
I've used Universal Clays in many Hodgdon-site recipes for 38, 44, 45 acp. Typically lower end loads, pleasant, predictable , a little smokey but without residue. Can't comment on shotgun loads.

IIRC about 10 or 12 years ago, International Clays was not on local shelves so I switched.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top