JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never. I live on the woods. I ride ATVs and shoot out back (when theres not 3 feet of snow on the ground). I burn slash piles and pretty much do what I want. I'm not someone who plays nice when someone tries to tell me what to do on my property.

Why would anyone who espouses freedom, personal rights and criticizes overbearing and oppressive government want to live under the 'umbrella' of a HOA?
Seems contradictory to me.

Last Edited:
Why would anyone who espouses freedom, personal rights and criticizes overbearing and oppressive government want to live under the 'umbrella' of a HOA?
Seems contradictory to me.

Unfortunately, not my choice. I would never have moved here if it were up to me.:oops:

Not my story but one that was 'close to home' at Black Butte Ranch outside of Sisters, OR, many years ago.
Long story short - HOA squanders money and fails to keep up with obligations homeowners pay dues for.
Homeowners all agree to stop paying dues. HOA files lawsuit against homeowners.
End result ? HOA loses and disbands.
Lesson learned? HOAs exist only due to a thin 'veil' of agreement by the homeowners to abide by the bylaws as established by the HOA - as long as the HOA maintains its obligations to the homeowners.
When all is said and done the homeowners ownership of the property 'trumps' the HOAs rules and regulations.

We own 3 acres in Central Oregon, in an HOA. The largest one in the state. I knew full well going in what this entailed, did my research and was OK with it. We currently live on 5 acres outside Forest Grove that we are selling. I have lived here 33 years, raised our kids here, ran a business here, shot coyotes here and all. I will miss it.

We bought where we did because the price on the ground was right, there was electricity and water at the road. Can't shoot here (sup suppressor in my future) but can be there is 10 minutes.

The three acres are all separate tax lots right next to each other. We pay taxes on each and HOA fees of $ 425 a year on each one. Not a bad rate really. We applied to the county to combine the 2 of the lots into one two acre piece to build on and the third to buffer against the neighbors, give the mule deer some place to lay down and to hold for investment sale later on. Combining the lots is costing us $ 2,000 for county fees and survey work.

The HOA was notified by the county of such combining and sent us a letter stating that when the lots are combined, that we will still be billed for two lots regardless if they became one tax lot with the county. :eek::eek:. They of course sent a copy of the HOA regulation with the letter, saying that this was done for " tax purposes".

I e mailed them, because I do not do sh*t on the phone, I like written documentation and asked them how this will be billed on the invoice. Same as before they said. With the tax lot numbers. Of the lots that no longer exist because we combined them into one lot. I asked them what " tax purposes " meant. They said people did this to avoid the extra HOA fee, and that is what tax purposes meant, and that the lot numbers are immaterial to the billing process.

So I am just laying out at this point, waiting on my July HOA billing to see what the invoice says. If they bill me with the old tax lot numbers that no longer exist, then we might have a fraud going on. Either way, I will f with them a bit just to see what happens. I will toss a couple hundred in attorneys fees at it to get a legal opinion. Arrogant bastards they are.

My work partner was in an HOA and President for a while. What got me was the huge percentage of homes who didn't pay their fees/dues. He was in a condo. Need to have certain funds, by law, for repairs, etc. The biggest whiners were always those who were not paying.

When I lived in Arizona, I purposely shopped for a house that was NOT in an HOA. My wife's parents had bought a house in one and were suffering the consequences.

Bought a house in a nice neighborhood and didn't have any issues.

Then I moved up here and bought a house in a decent neighborhood next to a well-maintained and very cute restored farmhouse. It was inhabited by an attractive single-mom and her two young kids.

She moved out within 3-4 months and an unmarried couple in their 40's moved in.

Found out the owners of the house are a retired couple in their 80's and bought the house for their granddaughter to live in. She got cancer and had to move closer to a treatment center, so they rented the house out to the new couple.

That was about 4 years ago. I have been in a constant battle with them since. The boyfriend is a construction worker that rarely works and brings home piles of scrap from job sites when he does work. The woman is nice but likely abused.

They have a "troubled" (according to the city clerk) teenage son that likes to find trashy vehicles, then crash them, then park them next to my yard and dismantle them and throw parts in my yard.

The house has gone to a cute restored farmhouse to what looks like the result of the zombie apocalypse. It has surely affected property values and will make selling my home this year a challenge.

The city has warned them and they attempted a minor clean-up that lasted a month. The property is completely trashed and I am going to have to get serious about things this Spring as I get closer to listing my home.

No idea what rights I have or who to sue. Would hate to go after the old couple, as they are in their late 80's and are victims as well.

Don't think I will ever live in a town ever again. People are just going nuts and there is no sense of decency or self-respect in too many people these days.

Before the clean up:

62ZDC5dLRuaTxi-0b9k7XA.jpg

Js_ay1yaSbeD8_-cIZzKTg.jpg

After:

Yg6FrMKGQUWyw2BHgEaSew.jpg

qDukDBQ2T7yl9lwkXP941g.jpg

Since then, it has gotten much worse. Worse than the before pics.

This is what it looked like when I bought my house...

oldhouse1.PNG

Reading all the stories makes me so glad I am not part of an HOA. My wife and I were not going to be apart of one if we didn't have too and from all the stories... I would be in so much trouble for being a smart a$$. Tell me what I can and can't do with my property, I would tell them to shove their paperwork we're the sun don't shine.

The lesson is never subject yourself to more rules and governance than you must - and try to avoid living under an HOA if possible.

I was the VOLUNTEER Vice President for an condo HOA for several years. I attended meetings, made decisions to benefit the community, we reviewed financials, and so forth. I never harassed a single person about a single issue on the property. Except we had one problem neighbor. Long story short, one owner simply refused to pay the monthly ~$200 dues (which covered landscaping, repairs such as roofing, painting, siding, damages, snow removal, swimming pool, upkeep, etc.). So after years of her delinquency and ignoring our requests and later demands, we placed a lien on her home. She made our lives hell, and came after me personally and unsuccessfully attempted to ruin me. The HOA ended up spending $5000 in legal fees against her. The woman was an unhinged unemployed lunatic with nothing better to do than stir up trouble. I think ultimately she lost her home and got nothing after foreclosure and liens were satisfied.

I have heard many stories from my clients. Worst one I can think of his a client who didn't know he had to pick a color of paint from the approved list. He spent $15k to paint his house and was then told he would have to paint it again.

HOAs suck until you have a neighbor with a hot pink house. Like the one near the Beaverton library. Lol. Also, several blocks away from my house, there is a house with a huge bubblegum LED American flag on the front of their house. Might be able to see it from space. They also have a God Bless America sign in what looks like maybe 24" letters in red, white, and blue. His neighbors are never selling their houses. :D

I have heard many stories from my clients. Worst one I can think of his a client who didn't know he had to pick a color of paint from the approved list. He spent $15k to paint his house and was then told he would have to paint it again.

HOAs suck until you have a neighbor with a hot pink house. Like the one near the Beaverton library. Lol. Also, several blocks away from my house, there is a house with a huge bubblegum LED American flag on the front of their house. Might be able to see it from space. They also have a God Bless America sign in what looks like maybe 24" letters in red, white, and blue. His neighbors are never selling their houses. :D
God bless America!

My parents have a house on CCR and have dealt with there stupid HOA.

My stepdad put a flood light on his shop.
A neighbor complained to the HOA and it was a buge deal for months going back and forth.
The thing is they live waaay out, no neighbors, except across the street, about 300-400 yards from the shop, and the light isn't even facing his house.

Took months, my stepdad won after a lot of frustration.

So he bought a much brighter one and put up.

What would happen if 'your' HOA amended the bylaws to say 'guns can never be seen out side the house' or 'owners of homes must always store guns in a safe or other locked compartment'

CCR cannot overstep State or Federal laws.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top