JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My HOA expired sometime in the early 90's and nobody was interested in renewing it( No way! Right?). We were told about the original HOA when we moved in and were provided a copy of the original CCnR's. It was interesting looking through it all and seeing what hell was like in 1978 when the neighborhood was built. The worst part was that trailers and boats must be kept in the garage or neighborhood storage areas. Now everybody has trailers, campers and boats all over the place. Zoom forward to today.... Some do-gooder starts dropping fliers in peoples mailboxes with copies of the CCnR's that talk about trailers and boats in the driveway, anonymously of course. Seems like most of them made it to the trash can. :s0140:

My HOA expired sometime in the early 90's and nobody was interested in renewing it( No way! Right?). We were told about the original HOA when we moved in and were provided a copy of the original CCnR's. It was interesting looking through it all and seeing what hell was like in 1978 when the neighborhood was built. The worst part was that trailers and boats must be kept in the garage or neighborhood storage areas. Now everybody has trailers, campers and boats all over the place. Zoom forward to today.... Some do-gooder starts dropping fliers in peoples mailboxes with copies of the CCnR's that talk about trailers and boats in the driveway, anonymously of course. Seems like most of them made it to the trash can. :s0140:

I believe putting stuff in mailboxes is illegal. Federal offense. Look into it and file a complaint and ask that it be investigated. Probably a limited number of likely suspects.

I believe putting stuff in mailboxes is illegal. Federal offense. Look into it and file a complaint and ask that it be investigated. Probably a limited number of likely suspects.
Unfortunately I didn't receive a flier. I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe they didn't see my trailer because it's camo?

IMG_20141111_122711.jpg

I've got one. My In-laws just built on the last lot in the neighborhood. Well driveway is getting prepped and poured for 1 week. They can't park on the
Street!!!! Lol! For the love of all
Things holy. Cause one neighbor will loses his s——-. Stupid people
Live with a HOA situation. Sorry.

Our lovely CCRs state the HOA must create an ARC. Architecture review committee. Within that portion it states the ARC has sole discretion to make decisions on landscaping and architectural changes.

We are only 26 homes and there are only two current HOA members as the worst one moved.

This 3' rule must have been the discretion clause.

I know others have taller bushes.

I've caught them targeting me before.

We have one of our two meetings a year next week, I'm going to see about trying to get some new folks to go and we will all vote for each other as all 3 positions are up for vote. Try and vote these people out.

GOD this irritates me.....Tell them to go a block or 2 away and see how us NORMAL people (no offense btw) live....WTF is their problem?! Actually I know EXACTLY what it is, we can discuss the issues at hand in person.... Theres probably more to the story....

We were going to have our roof re-roofed. We filled out the "Request" paperwork - per HOA CC&R's.

I filled it out and in the description I put "It will be exactly like what is on it now. Just NEW."

An HOA "volunteer member" (who is a female dog and "volunteers" to be on the HOA committee because she is a...... well, a FEMALE DOG!!! :mad:)

She proceeded to tell me "you probably can't get that kind of shingles anymore because back when the house was built they didn't have these 40 year shingles that we now require."

"Where does it say in the CC&R's that I have to have 40 year shingles? I see where it says 30 or more."

"WELL 40 IS MORE THAN 30, ISN'T IT??" (with an eye roll)

Wife and I were already looking at 40 year shingles but I just had to say "30 or more as written in the CC&R's, not 40 as you state."

"Well I'll just deny your request." Then walks to her car and drives away.

The following day I get notification that my request for a roof was denied. So I walk over to the HOA Manager's house (who happened to live 4 doors from me). I talked with her and she asks a bunch of questions about the roof. I tell her that it is exactly like what is on it now, except it will be brand new. She says she sees nothing wrong with my request and "will talk" with the members of the HOA Approval Committee. She signs it "APPROVED".

A few days later the roofers show up and by the end of the day we have a new 40 year roof.

The female dog comes flying up to my house and gets out and starts in on me. "Why did you go above my head?" "You'll be sorry." blah blah blah. Then she says "you can't have that roof because the CC&R's state that the shingles must be of darker tones."

"Define darker tones."

"Dark. You know DARK."

So I point to a house that is 4 doors down from me and say "you mean dark like that?" (My roofing was darker than that house)

"NO, even that is too light."

"AMAZING. Did you know that is the Managers house and she just got her roof re-done last Summer?"

She got in her car and drove way.

Then 2 other people (in separate cars) pull up to my house, while the female dog parked up the street. They got out and both said "that really is a lighter color than we'd like. You may have to change it."

"REALLY?!?!?! Who's gonna pay for that?"

"Well, you will. See, this is why you should have gotten approval first."

So I show them my copy of the "Request" with the managers signature on it "APPROVED".

They walked over to the managers house and got her to come down to my house. They all stood in the street looking at the roof. I say "this is the EXACT color that was on it since it was built. This is just a new roof. AND, it is darker than yours."

She says, "yup, it sure is, isn't it." She turns to the other buffoons and says "Looks perfectly within the rules to me. We'll talk about this later."

They all leave.

To this day, on occasion I get nasty letters saying that they "think" my roof is too light and that I need to change it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

^^^ THIS...right here...is why I will NEVER live in a HOA. I would seriously end up in prison dealing with morons like this. I don't know what's more offensive, the blatant outright stupidity of these people or the whole drunk with power "I'll just deny your request" B.S.

When my shop was being built one of the CCR stipulations was that it had to have a "concrete or aggregate driveway" from the street to the structure. Ticked me off as I was just going to put down nice rock and keep it maintained.

Then a committee slug showed up and pointed out that my plans didn't have a "concrete or aggregate driveway" from the road to the building. I explained what I was going to do. They quickly squashed that by showing me a highlighted copy of the CCRs. (they came prepared this time :mad:).

So I tell them, "Fine I'll put an asphalt driveway from the road to it."

You guessed it.... NO WAY!!! That was specifically against the CCRs. "Concrete or aggregate driveway" only!

So my concrete work went from about $6500 to almost $12K. :eek:

So, now that I have a driveway from the road, around the side of my house, into my backyard, and to the shop, I park my vehicles ON THE DRIVEWAY. :D

NOTE:

The CCR's also specifically stated that homeowners cannot have anything parked on the side of their homes, or in their backyards. No boats, motorhomes, utility trailers, NOTHING. Yeah, the neighborhood is nice and clean looking because there isn't junk/garbage/broken down vehicles parked in the driveways or side's of homes.

BUT, being my driveway is now extended around the side of my house and into my backyard, guess what.....??? Yup, you guessed it. I park on my driveway! :s0140:

I've been given numerous "talking to's" and even a couple of "notice of infractions". My standard response is now "show me in the CCR's where it specifically states that we are NOT allowed to park in our driveway!"

They always argue and try telling me "that is an access to and from your shop, not a driveway."

I quickly point out that I have documentation that states I had to have a driveway from the street to the shop.

They get mad and walk away.

:s0133:

My god your development sounds like an unholy nightmare. Have you actually ever spoken with an attorney on all of this? Is there anything you can do legally to make this stop? I've heard a lot of bad HOA stories but never anything to this extent. It truly seems that you are being deliberately targeted and harassed.

I don't have any stories about living under an HOA, but, after managing the maintenance of several condo buildings in the Pearl that did have HOAs, I can comfortably state that I will make a concerted effort to not have to ever deal with one again.

I think this is a base human character. If I have to do something, then you have to do it too.
The Rich, or Corporations don't pay their fair share in Taxes.
If I have to keep my garbage cans out of view, then so do you.
If I can't let childrens toys be out front over night, never mind I don't have any children, then neither can you.

This will have been the source motivation for all those laws.
I have to save the planet, no straws for you.
etc.

I don't live in an HOA, and am a prime example of why some want to.

This is the house next door...

IMG_20190326_152339320_HDR.jpg

They have been kicked out after 4 years of trashing the rental house. They have been slowly cleaning it up the past month, but I see the owner having to hire a professional to come in.

House should have been worth around $180k, but the owner will be lucky to get $80k after all of the damage done.

View attachment 573442

They have been kicked out after 4 years of trashing the rental house. They have been slowly cleaning it up the past month, but I see the owner having to hire a professional to come in.

House should have been worth around $180k, but the owner will be lucky to get $80k after all of the damage done.

We have rentals in our HOA that look real close to that. HOA or not, a lot of renters just don't care.

View attachment 573442

Reminds me, I gotta return that hoist to my buddy's friend... sometime...

Well, I'm now on the HOA board. Lol.

It's been fun thus far learning the ins and outs of the management company and the other two board members.

Let's just say I'm going to try not to go nuts being a part of this.

My HOA tells me nothing. They even let me park a 48' trailer in my yard. :D

I just need a bigger yard.o_O

A few truckers with houses on the corner also park on the side of the road. Apparently HOA for mostly military families don't bother with rules very often.

Last Edited:
I saw that, the guy was kind of a Richard. He was full of swagger and brag about having the first one one the block and everyone stopping to see it. They told him it had to be in the garage and he said it was full.

I give my wife that kind of advice, should have thought were to put it before you dragged it home. o_O

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top