Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

HK VP9

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by titsonritz, Jun 12, 2014.

1. titsonritz

titsonritz has left the building. Well-Known Member

Over and out

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Been waiting for them to get it out. Might be a great match to my Walther PPQ. Now I just need them to make a VP40
    I saw July release for VP9 but someone told me never gonna happen so we'll see

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I thought they got into it in 1970.. 12 years before Glock.. polymer, polygonal and burst fire too
    800px-Vp70z.jpg

SIG383 and 156256Hunter like this.
  4. 45 for me

45 for me Oregon Well-Known Member

Isn't the point of striker fire pistols that they are cheap? HK doesn't seem to do cheap.

gunfreak and Mbeef61 like this.
  5. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Striker fired does not equate to "cheap" necessarily - it does reduce # of parts in the gun, and simplifies some things. HK produced another striker fired gun - the P7 - which could never be called cheap - and have a cult like following. That was a far more successful gun than the VP70. But when HK decided to drop it and begin tweaking the USP line every three weeks (or so it seems, with all the trigger variants and special editions etc) - they ditched striker fired systems. Keep in mind that HK's primary target audience was military contracts - and most military contracts spec hammer fired double strike capable guns with manual safeties or at least decockers double action triggers etc etc.

The HK P30 is the sweetest, most ergonomic pistol I've ever fondled, but until I hit the mega millions or powerball jackpot - I'm not dropping a grand, or close to a grand, on any pistol - especially a polymer pistol. The VP9 is rumored to have an MSRP of about $700 - which means a street price in the $650 range - which puts it just a hair over a Gen 4 Glock from most dealers. A lot more tempting for a schmuck like me.

It also uses P30 mags - and will likely fit some/most P30 holsters - so there are already accessories to support the gun. In a way - HK did with the P30/VP9 what Sig did with the P250/320 - they took a hammer fired gun, made some tweaks, and build a striker fired platform out of it with some common parts between the two.

45 for me likes this.
  6. Certaindeaf

Yea, it's just the/your "getting into" quip/posit compelled me to say they started doing that over forty years ago.

orygun and Chee-to like this.
  7. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I am not a HK fan, I think they make good quality guns but their prices piss me off lol. Having said all that, I am interested in purchasing one...... but I am also interested in the new shield without the safety. Decisions decisions :(

8. Certaindeaf

It's not about money. HK makes some nice arse guns, that's for true.. MP-5 yadda. It's more about just getting a viable platform and becoming proficient and comfortable with it. I chose the Hi-Power long ago as back then, there were limited semi autos, especially in America (though like 120 countries used it at that time militarily).. it was a simple decision and I'd do it again given the circumstances.
    A flavor of the week gun is counter productive.
    I find it interesting but understandable that some in this thread say "I'm going to get all the colors! (be the rainbow!) while having essentially a very high "feedback"/sell count.
    come on.. a gun isn't a purse

9. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it being released and reading a few reviews before I decide if I can't live without one.
    That said, HK makes a high quality accurate firearm and with their recoil reduction system it will be interesting to see how this one handles. I expect it will be a step up from the competition.

10. 0V3RC10CK3D

0V3RC10CK3D Mill Creek, WA Active Member

H s anyone seen them in stock yet? Seems everyone on YouTube already has one

wedge556 likes this.
  11. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I think that P320 looks a lot cleaner than the VP9, although I prefer
    the slide contour on the P250 much better. I would opt for the P320 myself. No trigger safety would be a deal breaker for me tough. I believe
    Sig does offers one for the LE market, so if would be at least
    theoretically possible to switch out at some point.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  12. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

I still haven't seen one of these. For some reason I was thinking these wouldn't be on the market until mid July? Either way so far I want one. I just got handle and maybe shoot one for myself.

13. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

they use P30 mags huh.. I may have to get one then as I have a bubblegumload of them.

14. Oklahomie

Oklahomie Marysville Active Member

All the Youtubers seem to like it well. Sootch00, Colion Noir, and Mr.GunsnGear all had favorable opinions.

It's definitely on my list of potential purchases.

15. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have read that the MSRP is $700.

16. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Yup.... if I decide to buy another pistol, I'll give this HK a try. I'll wait for a while since it's a new gun.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  17. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

As certaindeaf said I believe in finding a viable platform sticking with it and becoming as proficient as possible. Because of a steal ppt a few years back that has been HK for me and I've grown fond and trusting of the platform. Can't wait to try this baby out.

P.S.
    I still want me a Hi-Power

18. ducrider

ducrider Canyonville, OR Active Member

ive got one on order $589 out the door, cant wait to get it

NoSmoking likes this.
  19. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

That seems like a pretty decent price.

spookshack likes this.
  20. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

Wow ducrider that's a steal on some quality HK equipment Congrats! Keep us updated