JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking around for something to shoot and found some scrap steel laying around. My buddy has a small swinging steel target (no more than 12" high) but I wanted something with a little more height to it. Well here it is. 51" tall with a pipe frame and some Chevy leaf springs for the target. Kept one leaf intact, cut and welded another along the sides. I was surprised of the hardness. .40, 9mm and .22's did not even dent but .223 went clean thru as expected. And yes, the welds have started to crack. Once I shoot it apart I'll re-engineer it. Got extra arms for adding other targets when I figure them out.
Mike

8-14-2012
I've done some new improvements and changed the attached picture. Knowing that welding spring steel will crack I made two of the targets without welding the springs together. The middle taller target is bolted together with a piece of angle on the back side. The Wife was a good enough shot to shoot off the middle bolt head so Grade 8 bolts would be better than the china bolts I used.

I can now say that Chevy leaf spring steel WILL hold up to the Desert Eagle .50 cal. The .50 will put a dimple in the metal but they have held up against multiple rounds. So far .22, 9mm, .40 and .45 will do no more damage than remove paint.

10-7-2012
The oxygen bottle bottom makes an AWESOME pistol target. The ring sound is amazing! I think it has become my favorite metal target. Can be shot from 360 degrees and stays the same. The plow disc stand works perfect for it. I like it, I like it a lot!
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Hillbilly and Bell Target.jpg

Heavy Steel Target 001.jpg

Did more cutting and painting today. You can see the holes from the .223. This time I was able to cut the leaf in half and have the curled ends slide over the pipe. No need for welding them together. I am hoping a side to side swinging target is next in my thoughts but I never know what will come to me. I have a few more curled ends so......
To dark to think so I'll sleep on it.
Mike

I am currently adding one more target and rigged another base. I'll update the picture when done. So far the leafs that have been welded together have not fallen apart. The plow disc base works great but after lots of shooting the two taller targets would shift enough to the outside and cause the whole assembly to fall over. Earlier this week I made an oxygen bottle bell target. Have not shot it or taken a picture. Wanting to get out and splatter lead on it so I know what to report.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Finally got out and made some noise this morning. Need a little more widening on the base of the leaf spring target. It never fell over but it really needed to be level before it stopped swaying. The new oxygen bottle bell target is AWESOME!!! Makes a great ring from .22 to .45. Last almost 5 seconds after the last shot. The square metal target is an inch thick piece of 4 inch wide flat bar I found in the scrap pile. Cut two 8 inch long pieces and welded together to make an 8 inch square. MAN IS THAT THING HEAVY!!! Had a great time and came home with more garbage.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

I added the new pictures to my original post.

I've been thinking about building something similar, but out of some old bike frames and some 1/8th inch plate I have laying around. This one looks like way simpler design than what I was planning on.

Cool,
I stopped into my friends brake shop, and got 6 junk front rotors, and welded them to make square box. I sprayed them bright yellow. It's got to weigth every bit 45+ lbs. of hard cast iron. We will put targets on every side of the square and see what happens.
Heading out tomorrow with the guys to see how it works.
Taking my 22-250, 243 and .40

Thats a good way to recycle parts and have lots of fun to. :s0155:
a trick to welding spring steel is heat it a bit first and let it cool slowly.
And for welding cast to mild steel is use stainless rod and let it cool slowly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top