JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What holster(s) are you using for carry while hiking or backpacking? My Kingtuk doesnt handshake well with the waist straps of my packs. That being the case, I need suggestions. I would prefer to keep on my person instead of in/on my pack for obvious reasons. Guns to be carried are P229 or SP101.

Thank you in advance:cool:

I've always used a blackhawk serpa holster strong side 3 o'clock.

In the miserably wet PNW I opt for plastic that is easy to dry and won't get ruined by getting soaked, it has a locking retention so if I fall down a mountain my pistol will stay with me, and it's relatively cheap.

I would never go back to anything else, plus there's a ton of platforms to use

For day hikes a kydex retention holster is great. For backpacking I have a shoulder holster since it won't interfere with my pack waist straps. Everybody is different so no one holster is going to be the holy grail. Do some reading on what best suits your needs, try one on, and then hit the outdoors. You'll quickly discover what you like and don't like. If you feel the pistol at mile one you'll really be feeling it at mile 15 so find one that is comfortable for you. Good luck.

Cool stuff. Was checking out the Recon Kit Bag, as it is a better fit for the equipment, I choose to carry. How breathable/hot are these items in the summer?

short answer not bad, but you will sweat under it in summer.... even fall when I use it most to hold binos deer hunting.

I don't own one, but the only other recommendation I have is based on all the praise Ive read, is the Keni Chest Holster. Its open carry though but that may or may not matter for your needs.
Kenai Chest Holster – GunfightersINC

I prefer the chest pack because its also an excellent bino carrier plus a few other small things like my map and compass. My daypack doesnt really interfere with a OWB belt holster so I have options. The Hillpeoplegear is a quality product.

short answer not bad, but you will sweat under it in summer.... even fall when I use it most to hold binos deer hunting.

I don't own one, but the only other recommendation I have is based on all the praise Ive read, is the Keni Chest Holster. Its open carry though but that may or may not matter for your needs.
Kenai Chest Holster – GunfightersINC

I prefer the chest pack because its also an excellent bino carrier plus a few other small things like my map and compass. My daypack doesnt really interfere with a OWB belt holster so I have options. The Hillpeoplegear is a quality product.
Thanks for the quick reply. Those Kenai look nice too. Been entertaining the idea of a more concealable chest rig just because from time to time, I'll possibly be wearing it in areas where open carry may freak out certain types of people. Thanks again

Been entertaining the idea of a more concealable chest rig just because from time to time, I'll possibly be wearing it in areas where open carry may freak out certain types of people. Thanks again
its perfect for hiking in super popular hiking recreation areas, beats the hell outta those fanny packs...

its perfect for hiking in super popular hiking recreation areas, beats the hell outta those fanny packs...

Aka "Aunt Fanny" packs.... LOL

The Kenai chest holster rigs were what I was thinking, but that Hill People chest pack looks the business too, and as @Koda mentioned it's good for "popular" hiking trails as well as binos & land-nav kit as well.

I've always used a blackhawk serpa holster strong side 3 o'clock.

In the miserably wet PNW I opt for plastic that is easy to dry and won't get ruined by getting soaked, it has a locking retention so if I fall down a mountain my pistol will stay with me, and it's relatively cheap.

I would never go back to anything else, plus there's a ton of platforms to use

I was pretty keen on the Serpa holster (and even have one), but then I heard (and saw) how crud can get into and jamb up the release button... not much of a concern in "civilization", but that'd be my main concern out in the field.

The military is experimenting with load-bearing bowls to alleviate this problem..

th?id=OIP.igaJGGQ9b-OWBIPDpmzV-QHaKF&w=186&h=253&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

I was pretty keen on the Serpa holster (and even have one), but then I heard (and saw) how crud can get into and jamb up the release button... not much of a concern in "civilization", but that'd be my main concern out in the field.

I skip the Serpa models for this reason. I have an Uncle Mikes reflex holster that I really like (https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Tactical-Reflex-Holster/dp/B00D4KWTVG). It uses a twist and pull method of release instead of the button so nothing to gum up. But I really only use it for range days. EDC is an IWB and on the trail I use my shoulder rig.

I'd second the recommendation for hill people gear. I've had the kit bag v2 for a year now and it's great. It's made very well out of durable but not overkill heavy duty materials. It holds more things than you need to carry and it balances nicely when you hook it up to your pack with the lifter straps.

My sp101 w/ the 4" barrel fits with room to spare. The largest gun I've tried in it is a 22/45 w/ a 5.5" barrel and it does fine.

I have used it on atv's on dusty trails and it keeps my guns nice and clean.

The protection from the elements and easy concealment are why I bought it. If you don't want to carry a whole lot of other crap in it like I do, they have some thinner versions that would work nicely.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews