JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The place I usually go shooting requires me to walk in a ways. I'm trying to pack down everything I need into one backpack to make the trek out easier. I have an AR with a 16" barrel, so fitting it inside the backpack is out of the question. I've seen backpacks for hunting rifles and was wondering if anyone knew of something similar (fastened to the side with the muzzle pointing in the air) for long guns with a pistol grip and collapsible stock. Preferably one that doesn't cost $500.

The place I usually go shooting requires me to walk in a ways. I'm trying to pack down everything I need into one backpack to make the trek out easier. I have an AR with a 16" barrel, so fitting it inside the backpack is out of the question. I've seen backpacks for hunting rifles and was wondering if anyone knew of something similar (fastened to the side with the muzzle pointing in the air) for long guns with a pistol grip and collapsible stock. Preferably one that doesn't cost $500.
One thought would be to separate the rifle into two parts then use action covers to keep stuff from getting in while you pack in. Here is an example of a cover: https://rcsgear.com/topstop-ar-upper-receiver-cover
topstop3_result.jpg

A second option would be to set up your AR with a Boonie Packer Safari sling. This sling allows horizontal carrying but can slide to a vertical position when required and is quick to deploy. It does require sling mounts on the bottom of the stock, so your AR needs to be configured that way. This type of sling would be the most comfortable setup used with a backpack and is my all time favorite for hunting.

s7_220723_003_01?hei=380&wid=380.jpg

Most any backpack with at least 2 side compression straps made from nylon webbing (vs. paracord) will lash a rifle on the side. Just put the receiver between the two straps and cinch down. Packs dedicated to hunting often have rifle scabbard features that tuck away, nice but those packs might cost more than a basic hiking day pack.

I have a 16" AR myself. And a 12" AR pistol.
Just the uppers against a 24" x13" internal frame sheet... theres a few inches of barrel sticking up
If you can find a gun backpack that's about 30 inches tall or can fit the 16" upper diagonally.. you'd be fine. Otherwise, a long sports duffel bag or wheeled instrument case? 20210919_151325.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top