JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ctm-clean-7am-cr470c-20180531-01-frame-9830.jpg

Not good.

Hawaii man pulls gun on neighbor as tensions run high in community overrun by lava

Sixty-one-year-old John Hubbard is now under arrest, accused of opening fire and allegedly assaulting a neighbor who came to check on his property. The victim was injured, but was not shot.

There have been reports of evacuated homes being looted, which I would think could possibly be the reason behind why this homeowner was so extremely aggressive. He probably was fearful that the man was a burglar.

This points out another problem in today's modern society, though, in that people often do not know their neighbors.

Was the neighbor attempting a "well-fare check" or a "loot-fare check" ?....
....not a heck of a lot of actual info on exactly where or what the neighbor was found "checking" or how or in what way he was actually injured. It's SeeBS news so there's going to be an anti-gun slant.
Questions I often ask myself, is who's taking the picture and what came before.

I wonder why none of our local media have a story on this? Not going to immediately jump and say fake news but just weird that 10 or so local media outlets who have had volcano stories up before and after this article have no mention of a shooting.

Puna is also home for most of the meth production on the island. Surprised there isnt more lawlessness down there.

There have been reports of evacuated homes being looted, which I would think could possibly be the reason behind why this homeowner was so extremely aggressive. He probably was fearful that the man was a burglar.

This points out another problem in today's modern society, though, in that people often do not know their neighbors.

I can see that as a possibility.

But you know it's Hawaii.

So, call 911.

LOL. I wonder if the police will even come? I seem to remember a news article, where it said to "evacuate". Anyone, not following the order......would be left on their own.

Think about it.......
Say that a Hurricane is approaching your area. Flooding is expected, along with damages and the possible loss of life. So, you were given an evacuation order. You choose to.......NOT follow it. Intending to "ride it out". Possibly, save your home and get some FB footage to show your friends. Oh what a story to tell the news reporters that will surely come later!

Then.....
The $#@t hits the fan.

Do you really expect the emergency responders to come to your rescue.....during (I change my mind) or even after, when things are still in flux (though not yet officially declared safe)? Did you even stop to think about your kids that you insisted on keeping at your side?

Choose wisely.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I can see that as a possibility.

But you know it's Hawaii.

So, call 911.

LOL. I wonder if the police will even come? I seem to remember a news article, where it said to "evacuate". Anyone, not following the order......would be left on their own.

Think about it.......
Say that a Hurricane is approaching your area. Flooding is expected, along with damages and the possible loss of life. So, you were given an evacuation order. You choose to.......NOT follow it. Intending to "ride it out". Possibly, save your home and get some FB footage to show your friends. Oh what a story to tell the news reporters that will surely come later!

Then.....
The $#@t hits the fan.

Do you really expect the emergency responders to come to your rescue.....during (I change my mind) or even after, when things are still in flux (though not yet officially declared safe)? Did you even stop to think about your kids that you insisted on keeping at your side?

Choose wisely.

Aloha, Mark

There was a guy who did not evac as ordered who got trapped between 2 lava flows. He broke into his neighbors house to eat their stored food for days and then signaled a helicopter with garbage can lids covered in red paint.

They are sending evac orders for the areas ahead of the flow at least 4-5 times a day, 24 hours a day and people are still not leaving. The evac orders come with the warning that "The police will not come get you if there are dangerous sulfur dioxide levels." Some of them are going to be swimming soon.

Haven't you figured out that Hawaii is a black hole of information?

http://bigislandnow.com/2018/05/31/man-charged-in-leilani-estates-shooting-incident/

Ah thanks,

Cant we just make this all one crime:
"first-degree reckless endangering, five counts of first-degree terroristic threatening, one count of first-degree robbery, ownership of a firearm, prohibited, place to keep-pistol, failure to register a firearm, failure to obtain a gun permit and use of a firearm in the commission of a separate felony."

You get a count of terroristic threatening for every bullet you fire. If he had a bump stock he'd be in prison until the sun went supernova.

Interesting that he got access to a firearm without getting a firearm purchase permit, having his medical records reviewed by the police, wait 14 days minimum for the permit and then a separate pistol permit after his $200 pistol safety class, and then show all this to a gun store and buy the pistol, and then register the firearm with the police within 5 days after transporting the pistol to the police in a locked container, unloaded since there is no open or concealed carry in the state.

Laws are working as intended....

Ah thanks,

Cant we just make this all one crime:
"first-degree reckless endangering, five counts of first-degree terroristic threatening, one count of first-degree robbery, ownership of a firearm, prohibited, place to keep-pistol, failure to register a firearm, failure to obtain a gun permit and use of a firearm in the commission of a separate felony."

You get a count of terroristic threatening for every bullet you fire. If he had a bump stock he'd be in prison until the sun went supernova.

Ah, so he had an unregistered handgun, and no permit to own a firearm. And like you said, there is no legal way for ordinary civilians to either conceal carry or even open carry in Hawaii.

With all of these charges, I believe that he will probably be in prison for a very long time. He is already 61, so he may very well now die in prison.

So much for a happy and pleasant retirement in the state of Hawaii.

Ah, so he had an unregistered handgun, and no permit to own a firearm. And like you said, there is no legal way for ordinary civilians to either conceal carry or even open carry in Hawaii.

With all of these charges, I believe that he will probably be in prison for a very long time. He is already 61, so he may very well now die in prison.

So much for a happy and pleasant retirement in the state of Hawaii.

I believe his situation improved. He is living in Puna, filled with meth and drug use, his house is probably going to be destroyed by lava and he will probably be homeless since living on an active volcano is one of the only ways to get affordable housing here.

He will now have free room and board, meals and medical care for the rest of his life.

The prison is pretty nice and tropical:
Untitled.png

Hawaii does in fact allow CCW. But, it's subject to need and approval by the Chief of Police. So, in actuality they are as rare as hen's teeth.

§134-9 Licenses to carry. (a) In an exceptional case, when an applicant shows reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property, the chief of police of the appropriate county may grant a license to an applicant who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more or to a duly accredited official representative of a foreign nation of the age of twenty-one years or more to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor concealed on the person within the county where the license is granted. Where the urgency or the need has been sufficiently indicated, the respective chief of police may grant to an applicant of good moral character who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more, is engaged in the protection of life and property, and is not prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm, a license to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor unconcealed on the person within the county where the license is granted. The chief of police of the appropriate county, or the chief's designated representative, shall perform an inquiry on an applicant by using the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, to include a check of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases where the applicant is not a citizen of the United States, before any determination to grant a license is made. Unless renewed, the license shall expire one year from the date of issue.

(b) The chief of police of each county shall adopt procedures to require that any person granted a license to carry a concealed weapon on the person shall:

(1) Be qualified to use the firearm in a safe manner;

(2) Appear to be a suitable person to be so licensed;

(3) Not be prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm; and

(4) Not have been adjudged insane or not appear to be mentally deranged.

(c) No person shall carry concealed or unconcealed on the person a pistol or revolver without being licensed to do so under this section or in compliance with sections 134-5(c) or 134-25.

(d) A fee of $10 shall be charged for each license and shall be deposited in the treasury of the county in which the license is granted. [L 1988, c 275, pt of §2; am L 1994, c 204, §8; am L 1997, c 254, §§2, 4; am L 2000, c 96, §1; am L 2002, c 79, §1; am L 2006, c 27, §3 and c 66, §3; am L 2007, c 9, §8]

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top