JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 416613

The occipital lobe, where sight is processed, is connected to the frontal lobe, which shares info with the other lobes, right? But not only does the decision making/thinking center get activated, but the amygdyla (fight/flight) goes "oh crap"! Then I either automatically start shooting, or my thinking center overrides and makes a decision to shoot or not. If I decide to shoot, the right side of my brain, which controls the useless left half of my body, will calculate distance, angle, shot placement, elevation, wind, etc. While the left side of my brain, which controls the wonderfully useful right side of my body, will be appreciating the colors, the cloud figures, the graceful movement of the creature I am annihilating, etc. Left/right brain... weird isn't it? In fact, our vision goes to the occipital lobe upside-down. In truth, the left and right halves of the frontal lobe are not required for visual processing, they only make decisions and then act. It is a given though that the input from both eyes are required to provide the cerebrum with the total visual info. This should not be conflated with the left/right brain function!!

I found this information very Interesting in-deed! I like that it is either Fight or Flight!
Thank You, Pretty good info!
Larry243

I've got one grandson that is left-handed and right eye dominant. I insist he shoot right-handed for that reason. [He's young and other than one shot from my CC pistol, all his shooting has been with rifles.] When he gets bigger, it will be interesting to see what he decides to do with a handgun.

I've got one grandson that is left-handed and right eye dominant. I insist he shoot right-handed for that reason. [He's young and other than one shot from my CC pistol, all his shooting has been with rifles.] When he gets bigger, it will be interesting to see what he decides to do with a handgun.

Yep,
I agree with you. I also have a grandson that is left handed, but all our family members shoot right handed also. He seams to like shooting left handed with a right hand bolt action rifle. He does pretty good, but it always looks so strange to me when he jacks another round in... He of course does great with a single Barrel shot gun...LOL. Let him do his own thing!
Larry243

I may have to start shooting left handed rifle because I can't see squat out of my right eye now. Hmmm, left hand rifle or single shot?

I may have to start shooting left handed rifle because I can't see squat out of my right eye now. Hmmm, left hand rifle or single shot?

Best of Luck!
I know 2 people who shoot with there left eye on Right handed rifles... It's not that big of a deal!
No harm, No foul!

Left handed and right eye dominant here...
I shoot rifles , shotguns and bows right handed...handguns left handed.
Learned to shoot long guns right handed at a early age...since most controls / actions are set up for right handed folks...
Regardless of which eye dominant I have found that I shoot better with both eyes open...
Andy

Left handed and right eye dominant here...
I shoot rifles , shotguns and bows right handed...handguns left handed.
Learned to shoot long guns right handed at a early age...since most controls / actions are set up for right handed folks...
Regardless of which eye dominant I have found that I shoot better with both eyes open...
Andy

You are absolutely correct!
This is why I have submitted my original thread. Always shoot with both eyes open....
Your brain does make small allowances for when you are single sighted with just one eye. You can also see impact better when both eyes are open.....o_O
Larry243

What? The shooting with both eyes closed?
Use the force, young CigarWalker.

Suspect folks operate motor vehicles the same...
Wouldn't matter if their eyes were open or not - their heads are in their electronics.

Both eyes wide open. Situational awareness. That means 200 degrees all looked at once.
I suspect part of that training included you learning to start processing your peripheral vision, whether actively or out of necessity.

Right Handed, Left Eye dominant. Shooting rifles is much easier (and more accurate), still getting used to pistols in my left hand.

Try being right handed, and left eye dominant.:(
... :)

I'm right handed with a much stronger left eye. Learned early on (half a century ago) to sight weapons with either eye, leave both open, and switch hands too. It just takes a little practice, and what feels unnatural/uncomfortable at first eventually gives way to versatility, even for a stubborn cuss like me. Especially helpful when advancing on a target over uneven terrain. Or in a worst case scenario, surviving with an injury.

Of course it helps to shoot weekly when developing a new habit, but you'll be amazed at how quickly the brain adapts to trying new things.
-----------------
This next part is hearsay/urban legend, something I heard about in BS sessions.

I was given to understand that MLB players with the very highest batting averages have a strong pilot eye opposing the hand with which they write, throw, bat, etc. Logic is that they have a slightly better view of a pitch coming than a regular guy peering around the bridge of his nose. But like I said, there were multiple beers involved when this came up.

It's known as "cross dominant." Just be careful what the wife and kiddos see over your shoulder if you decide to google it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top