JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What you are not seeing...

When responding to a stimulus, 80% of sensory input derives from the visual sense. This process requires the use of both sides of the brain in order function. Both the left and right hemispheres of the brain share the information acquired through visual input.

When shooting one-eyed, shooters don’t get the full picture. As a matter of fact, without the use of both eyes, many visual functions are limited.

Many shooters initially learn to shoot with one eye and it is a habit that is hard to break. The benefits of shooting two-eyed, however, make learning this skill worthwhile.

Drawbacks of Shooting One-Eyed

There are many disadvantages to shooting with one eye. For those who carry concealed, they do so for self-defense or defense of others. Closing one eye negatively impacts the visual system. Visual acuity decreases, as does depth perception, balance, and spatial orientation.

These are important tasks that must not be sacrificed during serious situations. Shooting under stress complicates things further. Shooting with one eye will decrease the speed and efficiency of information processing. This means that it takes longer for the brain to process the information needed to react. In critical situations, our brain cycles through a process known as the OODA (Observe, Orient, Decide, Act). This is important for threat assessment and reaction time. In addition, after addressing a target, the shooter needs to determine the effectiveness of their actions, and identify the existence of other threats.

Benefits of Shooting Two-Eyed

Shooting with both eyes aids survival. Research has found that both eyes will remain open during a shooting. This is instinctive and cannot be controlled. Therefore, it would be advantageous to learn to shoot with both eyes before being faced with a deadly force situation.

Even though it’s instinctive, practicing the skill increases success rates. The eyes are complicated organs. They are offset, each interpreting visual stimuli from a slightly different perspective. Each eye takes in visual stimulus, and the information from each eye is transmitted from separate sides of the brain to the other. Field of vision occurs when both eyes converge. This convergence allows us to see in three dimensions, determine distances and speed, allow for spatial orientation, and assists with balance.

Our visual sensitivity and hand-eye coordination increases when binocular vision is employed. Visual sensitivity is the ability to respond to physiological changes. This sensitivity provides the shooter with the ability to respond to changes in the environment. It is more than twice as great using both eyes (duh, right?). The shooter will experience an increase in efficiency in hand-eye coordination, also known as visual-motor task.
Larry243

I am an Old Coot and we were taught point shooting with handguns. Both eyes wide open. Situational awareness. That means 200 degrees all looked at once. NO focusing on the front site. The time it takes to change your eyeball to the front site THEN focus upon center of mass of your target CAN BE FATAL to you.

No time.

Remember this is with multiple targets within 5 yards. About 90% of the scenarios of defensive handgun use. Not rifles. Same idea, different technique. Riles were shot using the quick point and squeeze within about 10 yards. Longer than that one MUST use the front site focus method. But not for quick close range.

It all will happen so fast. That one half second you lose my lose you your life. :(

I am an Old Coot and we were taught point shooting with handguns. Both eyes wide open. Situational awareness. That means 200 degrees all looked at once. NO focusing on the front site. The time it takes to change your eyeball to the front site THEN focus upon center of mass of your target CAN BE FATAL to you.

No time.

Remember this is with multiple targets within 5 yards. About 90% of the scenarios of defensive handgun use. Not rifles. Same idea, different technique. Riles were shot using the quick point and squeeze within about 10 yards. Longer than that one MUST use the front site focus method. But not for quick close range.

It all will happen so fast. That one half second you lose my lose you your life. :(

But, if you miss, you still loose your life!
Right!

6350.gif

WWCD? What would cyclops do? On a serious note, another benefit not stated is the shooter has the ability to see approaching unintended targets-ie, children and dogs entering view from side vs solely focusing on target alone.

WWCD? What would cyclops do? On a serious note, another benefit not stated is the shooter has the ability to see approaching unintended targets-ie, children and dogs entering view from side vs solely focusing on target alone.

You are spot on my man!
We forget that peripheral vision is also important at the same time. If your out of sight, your out of mind!
Good Note:

Re: Pirate eye patches . . . I understand that not all pirates were blind in one eye. Rather, they wore a patch on one eye to preserve their night vision in that eye. If they had to go below-decks they could flip the patch up and still be able to see.

Sheldon

Re: Pirate eye patches . . . I understand that not all pirates were blind in one eye. Rather, they wore a patch on one eye to preserve their night vision in that eye. If they had to go below-decks they could flip the patch up and still be able to see.

Sheldon[/QUOTE

Sheldon

I Think,
The high altitude is showing in La Grand!
What-Cha-Think?

What you are not seeing...

When responding to a stimulus, 80% of sensory input derives from the visual sense. This process requires the use of both sides of the brain in order function. Both the left and right hemispheres of the brain share the information acquired through visual input.

When shooting one-eyed, shooters don’t get the full picture. As a matter of fact, without the use of both eyes, many visual functions are limited.

Many shooters initially learn to shoot with one eye and it is a habit that is hard to break. The benefits of shooting two-eyed, however, make learning this skill worthwhile.

Drawbacks of Shooting One-Eyed

There are many disadvantages to shooting with one eye. For those who carry concealed, they do so for self-defense or defense of others. Closing one eye negatively impacts the visual system. Visual acuity decreases, as does depth perception, balance, and spatial orientation.

These are important tasks that must not be sacrificed during serious situations. Shooting under stress complicates things further. Shooting with one eye will decrease the speed and efficiency of information processing. This means that it takes longer for the brain to process the information needed to react. In critical situations, our brain cycles through a process known as the OODA (Observe, Orient, Decide, Act). This is important for threat assessment and reaction time. In addition, after addressing a target, the shooter needs to determine the effectiveness of their actions, and identify the existence of other threats.

Benefits of Shooting Two-Eyed

Shooting with both eyes aids survival. Research has found that both eyes will remain open during a shooting. This is instinctive and cannot be controlled. Therefore, it would be advantageous to learn to shoot with both eyes before being faced with a deadly force situation.

Even though it’s instinctive, practicing the skill increases success rates. The eyes are complicated organs. They are offset, each interpreting visual stimuli from a slightly different perspective. Each eye takes in visual stimulus, and the information from each eye is transmitted from separate sides of the brain to the other. Field of vision occurs when both eyes converge. This convergence allows us to see in three dimensions, determine distances and speed, allow for spatial orientation, and assists with balance.

Our visual sensitivity and hand-eye coordination increases when binocular vision is employed. Visual sensitivity is the ability to respond to physiological changes. This sensitivity provides the shooter with the ability to respond to changes in the environment. It is more than twice as great using both eyes (duh, right?). The shooter will experience an increase in efficiency in hand-eye coordination, also known as visual-motor task.
Larry243
Are my eyes seeing a cutnpaste here or a face palm? didn't really check
just wondering

Try being right handed, and left eye dominant.:(
Any thing I do, And I've tried many things over decades, both questionable and "professional" from eye exercises to gimmicks. They are not natural, do not wash out (for me) with practice, and exacerbates any real or perceived down side to one eyed shooting.
Even with a scope, my left eye will at times steal the view and must be closed momentarily to reapply the right eye.
The only functional way for me to shoot both eyes open is a fairly recent and helpful device; reflex or red dot.
This works perfect, but the down side is I must rely on a battery, or some other exhaustible energy supply.
Wonderful for play and hunting, I lean toward them more and more now with age.
However for protection and self defense, in my mind; I'll stay with simple, reliable, mechanical, and nonperishable things, and with what I know.
The left is only closed briefly during actual acquisition of impact area, and during trigger pull, then I'm a regular "four eyes" again. :)

Try being right handed, and left eye dominant.:(
Any thing I do, And I've tried many things over decades, both questionable and "professional" from eye exercises to gimmicks. They are not natural, do not wash out (for me) with practice, and exacerbates any real or perceived down side to one eyed shooting.
Even with a scope, my left eye will at times steal the view and must be closed momentarily to reapply the right eye.
The only functional way for me to shoot both eyes open is a fairly recent and helpful device; reflex or red dot.
This works perfect, but the down side is I must rely on a battery, or some other exhaustible energy supply.
Wonderful for play and hunting, I lean toward them more and more now with age.
However for protection and self defense, in my mind; I'll stay with simple, reliable, mechanical, and nonperishable things, and with what I know.
The left is only closed briefly during actual acquisition of impact area, and during trigger pull, then I'm a regular "four eyes" again. :)
Interesting, I am a mostly ambidextrous left eye dominant individual. I shoot pistols right handed and rifles left handed, and am a one eyed shooter with my left eye.

PE-AnatBrainFig3.jpg

The occipital lobe, where sight is processed, is connected to the frontal lobe, which shares info with the other lobes, right? But not only does the decision making/thinking center get activated, but the amygdyla (fight/flight) goes "oh crap"! Then I either automatically start shooting, or my thinking center overrides and makes a decision to shoot or not. If I decide to shoot, the right side of my brain, which controls the useless left half of my body, will calculate distance, angle, shot placement, elevation, wind, etc. While the left side of my brain, which controls the wonderfully useful right side of my body, will be appreciating the colors, the cloud figures, the graceful movement of the creature I am annihilating, etc. Left/right brain... weird isn't it? In fact, our vision goes to the occipital lobe upside-down. In truth, the left and right halves of the frontal lobe are not required for visual processing, they only make decisions and then act. It is a given though that the input from both eyes are required to provide the cerebrum with the total visual info. This should not be conflated with the left/right brain function!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads