JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I'm scheduled to have hernia surgery next week. Specifically, it will be laparoscopic surgery on an inguinal hernia to insert a mesh.

Has anyone had this specific surgery? What can I expect as far as recovery?

Don't know about inguinal hernia's but I had an umbilical (belly button) hernia repair about five years ago.

A few days of soreness, two weeks of lifting no more than 10 or 20 pounds, then not more than 50 pounds.

29 days after surgery back to work as a firefighter

Milk it for all it's worth!
Fluffed pillows, hand me the remote please?
This is your one chance, don't blow it!

Hahaha, I am! Fortunately for me we have automatic short-term disability insurance at work that pays 60% of our salary, plus I sprung for the supplemental disability insurance. I'll be off for 5 weeks total since I have a job requiring heavy lifting (150 pounds).

I had a hernia repair early last year. My Dr. used the mesh, but didn't do it laproscopically (sp) because there is a slightly higher chance of failure that way. (.5%) I had about a 2" incision. Had it done on Friday. Went dragracing on Sunday (with a stick shift car) and was back to work on Monday. Of course I took it easy, but it was pretty smooth.
Within a couple of weeks I was back to normal.

I had that surgery a few years ago. The surgery is is no big deal, but I was in some pain for a few days after. However, the good news is that my surgeon prescribed OxyContin for the pain.

From experience, whatever you do, let it heal completely before you decide to help your sister move and carry her refrigerator around.

Also from experience, prescription opiate painkillers keep pain down to a dull ache if you don't wait for them to wear off. But they also tend to constipate most people I know - not a ton of fun to deal with right after abdominal surgery. Keep a little Citrucel and pleny of water in your system.

Relax and heal up without pushing too hard (I mean both ways) and you'll be fine! Good luck with it.

+1 with teflon. I take a lot of opioids and I have to take plenty of laxatives/ stool softeners on a regular basis. Walking, as soon as your able, helps a lot. Best wishes to you!

PS: Love your dog!

+1 with teflon. I take a lot of opioids and I have to take plenty of laxatives/ stool softeners on a regular basis. Walking, as soon as your able, helps a lot. Best wishes to you!

PS: Love your dog!

Thanks, he's a happy lab/Australian shepherd mix! I talked with the pharmacist when I picked up my Norco today, she said that constipation is less of a concern with short-term use of opiates and that you have to take them for at least a couple weeks to have a real concern. I'll probably have my wife mix some fiber into my fruit smoothies anyhow.

Sneezing, laughing and coughing will be problematic for a while.

I don't doubt it. Not really looking forward to any of this, but it's better than going to work!

I had the same surgery a little over a year ago. But it was open mesh and not laparoscopic. I hear that with laparoscopic the recovery time is a little better than open mesh. But they make multiple incisions even though they are small cuts.

The surgery would pass without you realising it. It's the recovery that's a pain. Basically kiss goodbye to any strenuous activity for 6 weeks. You would have to do with mild activities like walking for a little while and slowly build up like that as your body recovers. It is best to take your time with recovery and allow your body time to heal. I hope you have gone through the risks and benefits of the different types of <broken link removed> and the mesh used. They are important when it comes to recovery and avoiding a recurrence of hernia.

Good luck. :)

One thing they don't tell folks, is that if they use the mesh..... You don't want to ever be opened up anywhere near it in the future. Makes a real mess to try and cut you open in that area. God help the poor sole who tries to stitch or staple you shut again.

My doc decided it was not worth the risk. It's been several years since my surgery, and no problems. Guess it really depend on how bad you popped your gut! :p

Had the surgery on Wednesday, was in quite a bit of pain right after but it has gradually gotten (a little) better. Still spending all day in the recliner, still hurts to get up or stand up straight. I did manage to walk out to the mailbox today, which was nice. I've been spending a lot of time watching TV, although I've exhausted everything on the DVR already. Joined a whole bunch more gun forums too, and have put together a list of accessories I want to buy over the next few months :woot:

Getting bored now though...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top