JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They tend to do both hands at the same time, making certain tasks extremely hard. You will lose all privacy until healed. I know three people who's only regret was not doing it sooner.

My best friends dad was born with just one hand. His left arm stopped at his elbow and at age 70 he needed carpel tunnel surgery and after confirming the diagnosis his doctor asked him if his wife loved him.
He responded that she says she does, and the doctor replied, "Well, you'll find out soon enough".

has anyone here had it? Did anyone have negative outcomes? Mines really bad in one hand, and getting worse in the other.

I had both of mine done a couple of years ago. I did one and it felt so good that I did the other one about 6 weeks later. Doc did the procedure on a Wednesday and took the wrap off on Friday.

There are 2 different kinds of ops for this procedure. The old way is to make a incision that might be 3+" long that runs through the line of the wrist and by the base of the thumb into the palm. Leaves a pretty good scar. My doc cut a lateral slit in the crease of the wrist and did micro-surgery to go in and do the work. Minimally invasive and had a relatively quick recovery. I was in the beer business so it was a 30 day time off because I couldn't pick up a lot but after the hell of CT that was OK with me. Talk to the doctors and see which procedure he uses.

I've had surgery for Radial Tunnel Syndrome...which is essentially carpal tunnel but up towards the elbow and affects the Radial Nerve. Would do it again in a heartbeat. 100% recovery aside from the six inch scar I now sport. Chicks dig scars though. So there's that. :D

Most patients do fine with the surgery. For the patients where it failed, they did not listen to directions and went right back to overusing them. One guy used a chainsaw the day after surgery and was wondering why it was so inflamed and the end of the day. :eek:

Have you exhausted the non-evasive measures first, to including changing lifestyles which caused the problem in the first place?

If you haven't why have the procedure(s)?

Remember of course the good doc's recommend surgery...big bucks for them, shuts you up, but is evasive surgery and should be a last resort!

"... post surgical scarring can again produce compression of the subjacent median nerve thus causing return of CTS symptoms. According to national statistics, approximately 85% of surgeries are successful with 15% failure to relieve the patients CTS symptoms!
A Non-Surgical Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

As a retired/disabled pipefitter, I am completely beat up, and I've had lots of surgeries, including carpal tunnel on both hands.

Of all the surgeries I've had, the carpal tunnel surgeries have been the most successful with the easiest recovery.

At the Doctors insistence, I had them both done at different times, and I'm so glad I did it that way.

My Daktari made a 1" incision, and there is absolutely no visible scar.

10+ years later, the outcome is still 100% perfect.

try the wrist brace at night. Mine got so bad I couldn't hold a steering wheel for 5 min with out gripping it so hard or going cold, hold a coffee mug too. since i've worn it its has gotten better

F*ck surgery and DOCTORS!!

I'm a candidate as well. Glad my wife loves me and is an RN....

I'd have both done. I can't write for more than 30 seconds without my forearm flaring up. Hands are meaty enough my thumb won't touch my pinky. Lol.

My brother in law and father in law had theirs done and don't regret it. They could barely hold a tool to work beforehand.

Back to carpal tunnel, try the wrist brace first. They are less expensive but if you dont get the relief you desire do the operation. You'll do it and then wonder why you didn't do it before!
BUT if you work at a job that CT could have been caused by first ask the surgeon if he will support your claim against SAIF or the state workers comp organization. If he won't, get other opinions.

I'm a candidate as well. Glad my wife loves me and is an RN....

I'd have both done. I can't write for more than 30 seconds without my forearm flaring up. Hands are meaty enough my thumb won't touch my pinky. Lol.

My brother in law and father in law had theirs done and don't regret it. They could barely hold a tool to work beforehand.
2+ years later, finally taking the plunge. I'm finished with both of my AAS degrees, work is slow for a spell and I'm ready. After trying braces for the last year I had some relief but the downside was not being able to work. Hard to use a mouse when you can't put your hand on it with a brace.

Going in on Friday to have both wrists opened up, loss of grip strength is my biggest problem with not being able to do detailed tasks. My reloading has decreased by about 95% over the last 5 years. I'm at the point that I have a hard time loading 10 rounds into the Ruger MK magazines and forget about loading a BX-15 mag. A 15 round pistol magazine without a tool to assist is impossible.

Glad it's happening now and am looking forward to being able to do things again like I used to. My mother in law folded up some money for the kids and the only thought I could think of is how did she get that folded up so small without her hands cramping? That's how I think now days, like when I used to crochet, now it's a pipe dream.

Shooting a pistol that isn't a .22LR? Nope. I shot my Block19 a few weeks back and I was paying for it for days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top