JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1994 called, it wants it's list back. I guess almost 20 years can still be hot off the press..........

"Hot" as in stolen.

Stolen from 1994 lol

or more likely just the fact that its "hot" bacause they are trying to STEAL our gun rights one piece at a time. Starting with the "evil looking" dont matter on caliber or anything just so long as its not evil "looking"

And she wants handguns with "military characteristics" whatever the heck that means....

Handguns, rifles, magazines; Sen. Feinstein wants them all

A sweeping proposal that would ban 120 specific firearms and “certain other” rifles, handguns and shotguns, plus thumbhole rifle stocks and force the registration of pre-ban semiautomatic rifles under the National Firearms Act has been unveiled by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and ignited a fury across gun rights Internet forums.

<broken link removed>

if that is the list then we need to get a couple of M-14's and a pile of magazines.

The magazines are easy enough to get - but I don't think the M14 was ever sold to civilians was it...oh it apparently was. Less than 1,000. Can't imagine what they cost if a select-fire M16 is $20K+.

The magazines are easy enough to get - but I don't think the M14 was ever sold to civilians was it...oh it apparently was. Less than 1,000. Can't imagine what they cost if a select-fire M16 is $20K+.
I think Steve06 meant M1As, the semi-auto version of the M14. And yes, neither the M1A nor the M1 Garand are on the ban list, my guess, since 308Win and 30-06 are not considered intermediate calibers.

Jeez, not another rumor designed to further increase profits on gun sales!!

Actually, I think this is very much what Sen. Feinstein and her fellow travelers would like to see enacted. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if that isn't what she proposes.

Of course, one senator's proposal does not mean that's what will become law.

There is a time when some should consider Prozac for anger and stress issues, just saying !
This is the same scare of lets build bunkers and wear gas masks in school.

I read once where it was said, paranoia is bred solely within the mind of the paranoid.

this is nothing but fearmongering, wait, be patient. When we have a proposed bill in hand let's start talking, until then this is pointless.

Ran across this:
Stopping the spread of deadly assault weapons

Stay informed

In January, Senator Feinstein will introduce a bill to stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devices.

To receive updates on this legislation, click here.

Press releases

Feinstein to Introduce Updated Assault Weapons Bill in New Congress, December 17, 2012
Feinstein Statement on Connecticut School Shooting, December 14, 2012
Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms;
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
Banning firearms with "thumbhole stocks" and "bullet buttons" to address attempts to "work around" prior bans.
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
A pdf of the bill summary is available here.

Effectiveness of 1994-2004 Assault Weapons Ban

Following are studies that have been conducted on the 1994-2004 Assault Weapons Ban:

In a Department of Justice study (pdf), Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper find that the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban was responsible for a 6.7 percent decrease in total gun murders, holding all other factors equal. They write: "Assault weapons are disproportionately involved in murders with multiple victims, multiple wounds per victim, and police officers as victims."
Original source (page 2): Jeffrey A. Roth & Christopher S. Koper, "Impact Evaluation of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994," The Urban Institute (March 1997).
In a University of Pennsylvania study (pdf), Christopher Koper reports that the use of assault weapons in crime declined by more than two-thirds by about nine years after 1994 Assault Weapons Ban took effect.
Original source (page 46): Christopher S. Koper, "An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003" (June 2004).
In a Washington Post story, reporters David Fallis and James Grimaldi write that the percentage of firearms seized by police in Virginia with high-capacity magazines dropped significantly during the Assault Weapons Ban. That figure has doubled since the ban expired.
Original source: In Virginia, high-yield clip seizures rise. By David S. Fallis and James V. Grimaldi, Washington Post.
In a letter to the editor in the American Journal of Public Health (pdf), Douglas Weil and Rebecca Knox explain that when Maryland imposed a more stringent ban on assault pistols and high-capacity magazines in 1994, it led to a 55 percent drop in assault pistols recovered by the Baltimore Police Department.
Original source (pages 297-298): Douglas S. Weil & Rebecca C. Knox, "Letter to the Editor, The Maryland Ban on the Sale of Assault Pistols and High-Capacity Magazines: Estimating the Impact in Baltimore," 87 American Journal of Public Health 2, Feb. 1997, at 297-98.
A recent study by the Violence Policy Center finds that between 2005 and 2007, one in four law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty was killed with an assault weapon.
Original source (pages 6-7): Violence Policy Center, "Target: Law Enforcement&#8212;Assault Weapons in the News," (Feb. 2010).
A report by the Police Executive Research Forum finds that 37 percent of police departments reported seeing a noticeable increase in criminals' use of assault weapons since the Assault Weapons Ban expired.
Original source (page 2): Police Executive Research Forum, "Guns and Crime: Breaking New Ground by Focusing on the Local Impact," (May 2010).
Assault weapons in the news

NRA misleads on assault weapons (Salon, Dec. 26, 2012)
"Dems to push for more sweeping assault weapons ban" (Washington Post, Dec. 20, 2012)
"A conservative case for an assault weapons ban" (Los Angeles Times, Dec. 20, 2012)
"Obama Vows Fast Action in New Push for Gun Control" (New York Times, Dec. 19, 2012)
"Trying, again, to ban assault weapons" (Los Angeles Times, Dec. 17, 2012)
"Stop the sale of assault weapons" (San Francisco Chronicle, Dec. 17, 2012)
"Reason to Hope After the Newtown Rampage" (New York Times, Dec. 17, 2012)

I think Steve06 meant M1As, the semi-auto version of the M14. And yes, neither the M1A nor the M1 Garand are on the ban list, my guess, since 308Win and 30-06 are not considered intermediate calibers.

M1A is NOT the semi auto version of an M-14. There are semi and full auto M-14. M1A is a semi auto version of an M-14 but is ONLY made by Springfield Armory. So any semi auto M-14 NOT made by SA is still an M-14.

M1A is NOT the semi auto version of an M-14. There are semi and full auto M-14. M1A is a semi auto version of an M-14 but is ONLY made by Springfield Armory. So any semi auto M-14 NOT made by SA is still an M-14.

If I have a select fire AR15 with 14.5" barrel, is it M4 ? :)

Below is the link the Feinstein's page on her AWB bill that she wants to introduce in January. It doesn't list the weapons but note that that it bans any semiautomatic rifle, handgun or shotgun that can accept a detachable magazine and has one military characteristic. The existing weapons are grandfathered in but they must be registered under the National Firearms Act.

Assault Weapons - Issues - United States Senator Dianne Feinstein

This is exactly what Obama tasked the ATF to look into 2 months before the latest shooting, to make all semi auto's NFA registered via executive order. This was months ago when Obama knew there was no chance it would pass muster. They needed this last shooting for their cause, makes you wonder how much of a hand the Government played into it.

"Alert; possible executive order information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to share with everyone here what I heard today from a very well placed source inside the firearms industry- word is the Obama administration had the ATF a couple months ago do a study to see the feasibility of making all semi auto assault rifles NFA items- meaning they would be handled in the same way as an SBR in terms of procuring one; it is assumed there would be an amnesty period for current owners to register the assault rifles they already have then any transfer down the line would be the same procedure as a suppressor or SBR

The gut feeling is that if Obama doesn't get from congress an assault rifle ban he likes he will do what Bill Clinton did with the Street Sweeper and use his executive powers to make semi auto AR's, AK's, FAL's, G3's, Galils, etc. NFA weapons

I personally think this is a very likely scenario in case a ban gets deadlocked in the house or senate

Just an FYI - if I hear anything more on this topic or anything else related to a potential future ban I will drop in and give everyone a data dump

Be safe and try and keep your sanity"

LAV

Source: Alert; possible executive order information - M4Carbine.net Forums

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR