JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Gamo Silent Cat air rifle and have shot at least 1000 rounds of ammo in the 1 1/2 years I have had it. For some reason recently it has started acting up. about 1 out of every 50 shots the round will fire but will get stuck in the muzzle. If I shoot one more it is perfectly fine. What is going on?

I have a Gamo Silent Cat air rifle and have shot at least 1000 rounds of ammo in the 1 1/2 years I have had it. For some reason recently it has started acting up. about 1 out of every 50 shots the round will fire but will get stuck in the muzzle. If I shoot one more it is perfectly fine. What is going on?

I'd clean/inspect the barrel, check the barrel seal and lube the whole rifle properly.. there should be a sticky here regarding general maintenance.

Sparks, please keep us updated on what you find/how this issue works out.
Thanks!

Not that it wouldn't, but I've not seen an air rifle leaded up.
It could.. there's an easy way to find out though - run a wet patch down the bore! Even if eyeballing it it looks good, it won't hurt.. use a few dry patches after and the barrel should be re-seasoned after a few shots or so.

It could.. there's an easy way to find out though - run a wet patch down the bore! Even if eyeballing it it looks good, it won't hurt.. use a few dry patches after and the barrel should be re-seasoned after a few shots or so.
I usually clean the barrel every 100 shots or so. They said it may be an issue with the rifling so I sent it in to have them put a new barrel on it.

New guy here, but I came via an air gun exclusive forum, and have been shooting, modding, and building air guns for about 10 years. Based on the gun and number of shots, I'd say your main spring is toast. Possibly broken, and if not, almost certainly badly kinked. This is a common issue with any springer, and especially with the lower end guns like Gamo's. Main springs, breech and piston seals are all consumables with springers, but don't waste your time trying to order parts from Gamo, they're in business to sell you another rifle rather than help you fix the one you have .

Google "springer tuning", lots of tutorials and videos out there. Don't forget to look for ideas on spring compressors, one can be made quick and easy from an ordinary pipe clamp. You may not need it, but these are large springs, some under a lot of preload, having one get away from you can mess up your day in a hurry. For parts, look for air rifle headquarters.com or Jim Maccarri. Scroll around, Gamo springs are toward the bottom of the page, piston seals are on the seals page, and don't forget lubes.

Now with all that said, it might be time to move up in the springer world . If you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend the RWS/Diana 34. If you can afford more, no one ever went wrong with a Beeman R-9. Lots of other options out there, but these are two of the best. Watch out for the "Magnum" springers, yes, they pack more punch, but are much harder to shoot well or consistently. Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Later.

Dave

Just got it back from Gamo. There was a part of the barrel where the rifling hadn't been engraved. Still a little off so I added some oil and it shoots perfect now. Thanks guys!

New guy here, but I came via an air gun exclusive forum, and have been shooting, modding, and building air guns for about 10 years. Based on the gun and number of shots, I'd say your main spring is toast. Possibly broken, and if not, almost certainly badly kinked. This is a common issue with any springer, and especially with the lower end guns like Gamo's. Main springs, breech and piston seals are all consumables with springers, but don't waste your time trying to order parts from Gamo, they're in business to sell you another rifle rather than help you fix the one you have .

Google "springer tuning", lots of tutorials and videos out there. Don't forget to look for ideas on spring compressors, one can be made quick and easy from an ordinary pipe clamp. You may not need it, but these are large springs, some under a lot of preload, having one get away from you can mess up your day in a hurry. For parts, look for air rifle headquarters.com or Jim Maccarri. Scroll around, Gamo springs are toward the bottom of the page, piston seals are on the seals page, and don't forget lubes.

Now with all that said, it might be time to move up in the springer world . If you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend the RWS/Diana 34. If you can afford more, no one ever went wrong with a Beeman R-9. Lots of other options out there, but these are two of the best. Watch out for the "Magnum" springers, yes, they pack more punch, but are much harder to shoot well or consistently. Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Later.

Dave

It turned out that a part of the barrel hadn't had the rifling engraved. I added some chamber oil and it works really well now. I have been looking at getting a PCP rifle though. I am thinking either the Benjamin Marauder, Hatsan AT44-10, or the Air Force Escape for medium game like coyotes. I mainly use my Gamo to shoot with my little cousins and to knock out pest birds like pigeons and starlings at 20 yards on my relatives farms. If I have any more questions about air guns I will definitely pm you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5IwoG9QgSN8Q36Ky5aTzaTj8pof84F4n1qP1HbzAvKHXZHjqqug.jpg

Watch out for racing pigeons.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top