JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yikes. this is what happens when i dont check my posts. apologies. yes we had a great morning. appreciated the time he took to show me what was up. super patient, friendly and knowledgeable.

We use these targets for good feeback because they work every bit as good as the Birchwood Casey from BiMart at a fraction of the price. Really easy to see point of impact at 36 yard zero using Binoculars

Qty: 100 for ~$30.00

Splatterburst Targets - 8 inch Adhesive Stick & Splatter Reactive Shooting Targets
thanks!

Shoot gun at paper.

Walk to paper, see hits.

If you are hitting left but aimed at center. Adjust optic left.

At 50 yards you are basically 1/2 of the adjustments. So if your scope Is 1/2 moa per click, which is roughly 1/2 inch at 100 yards. That would be 1/4 inch at 50 yards. If your hits are 2" to the left at 50 yards, adjust 8 clicks left. Shoot again. Repeat until zeroed.

Honestly, I understand not wanting to do this yourself, but at the same time why the hell buy this stuff if you had no intention to learn how to use it correctly?
oh have every intention of using it and getting better etc. the issue i have is living portland metro area. no place to go, not many ppl offer rifle and the "major clubs" are populated with Range Chickens and Fudds. Its not the "dont want to do it myself" its "i dont know what the bubblegum im doing and at _least_ need someone to watch/assist/teach.
but thats me, i like to learn.

Depends on what you want to use it for but if you are just using a red dot .
I would say sight it in at 36 yards.
its funny, i've watched this video a couple times (i follow VE) and i get it his logic and the idea behind it i just cant bring myself to do it. ive just got it drilled into my head that "CQB is 50yds" as short hand for "sub 250 yards". doesnt make it gospel, just a training scar i suppose. I do really like his analogy of "a CD at 36 and in"

No you don't. Literally take the upper off the lower, remove the BCG, set the upper on a stable surface and look through the barrel. Then without moving the upper, adjust your sights to be on the item/target/rock your barrel is also looking at when you look through the barrel. This is called "bore sighting" and it is incredibly easy, and it works every time. If you do this at 50 yards it will be close enough you can make finer adjustments easily afterward. If you do this at 30 ft, it will work, but you'll have more adjustments to make once you get it set for 50 yards.

Also: youtube "how to zero a rifle" - this is not complicated.
funny you mention this; thats exactly what the guy i met with did off the rip.

its funny, i've watched this video a couple times (i follow VE) and i get it his logic and the idea behind it i just cant bring myself to do it. ive just got it drilled into my head that "CQB is 50yds" as short hand for "sub 250 yards". doesnt make it gospel, just a training scar i suppose. I do really like his analogy of "a CD at 36 and in"
Go to 8:10 of the video, that statement is why I like a 100yd zero for a RDS. Back it up to see the whole thing.
More on the concept...

Zen of the 100 Meter Zero

Last Edited:
ok so that makes sense 100%, but my concern is mechanical offset/height over bore. there is a difference between what that looks like @ 3 yards.....10..20...30...40....50 yards out. lots of stories/videos etc on what not thinking about that looks like ie the Dem Primary in 68? 69?

ok so that makes sense 100%, but my concern is mechanical offset/height over bore. there is a difference between what that looks like @ 3 yards.....10..20...30...40....50 yards out. lots of stories/videos etc on what not thinking about that looks like ie the Dem Primary in 68? 69?
The only time I even think about offsets is when I'm about 12 yards and in while going for a fast precision shot or beyond 225 yards, otherwise I put the red dot on the target and bang away.

thats what i want to get good at, that fast precison at various "close" ranges.
so hard to find classes/courses that aren't full or just straight up too expensive and want you to bring 1500 rounds

The benefit of the 50 yard zero is that from 50 to about 200 (a bit more) the point of impact is only high by a few inches. Regarding offset for height over bore. If you zero for 50, as long as you hold a couple inches high in the short range, the bullets will go where you want them too.

I think for a beginner, the 50 yard zero is best. It will allow you to hit paper plates with relative ease anywhere from 0-200.

I think you are advising at a level above what can be realized.
Possible, but...

The benefit of the 50 yard zero is that from 50 to about 200 (a bit more) the point of impact is only high by a few inches. Regarding offset for height over bore. If you zero for 50, as long as you hold a couple inches high in the short range, the bullets will go where you want them too.

I think for a beginner, the 50 yard zero is best. It will allow you to hit paper plates with relative ease anywhere from 0-200.
I would say the same about the 100 yard zero even more so for 0-200, which for a RDS is my main focus. For a beginner I'd say use start with these targets at 25 yards for 100 yards and move out to confirm and make note of trajectory, then in and check offsets. (other ranges there too)

BTW, @Cerberus Group I linked above does advocate the 50-200 yard zero (which more like is 225 yards, but that a different story). I just like the 100 yard zero for the reasons I've list above. Ultimately, I really don't think it matters, 36, 50-200, 100, 300yards, just know what it is, how it works and practice with it.

Possible, but...

I would say the same about the 100 yard zero even more so for 0-200, which for a RDS is my main focus. For a beginner I'd say use start with these targets at 25 yards for 100 yards and move out to confirm and make note of trajectory, then in and check offsets. (other ranges there too)

BTW, @Cerberus Group I linked above does advocate the 50-200 yard zero (which more like is 225 yards, but that a different story). I just like the 100 yard zero for the reasons I've list above. Ultimately, I really don't think it matters, 36, 50-200, 100, 300yards, just know what it is, how it works and practice with it.
:s0004: No, you showed somewhat disagreement with me over the internet, now we are mortal enemies!

Ha, in seriousness, yeah, it all makes sense. Definitely merit for both, but regardless, if he knows what he's doing for offsets, that will matter the most.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top