JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello :)

Totally new to AR's. Built one and now i need to zero it at 50 yards. I have gear/stands/sticks/targets etc. just no idea what I am doing and need a second man/spotter.
willing to pay as well as provide donuts and coffee

I cant seem to nail down a location or crew to help; 50 yards of flat solid ground and an hour of someone's time for some $$$$ is apparently hard to come by...? Im only about an hour from Willamina so yeah I would very much be interested in coming your way. I have targets/sticks/stands and what nots so im good to go there. I have a tripod w/ a binocular-top mount as well, with, of course, no binoculars. i want to get some data on what my POA/POI is with my suppressor and what my height over bore looks like at a few set distances as well. I have 20 rounds of 75 grain on hand and some 62 grain green tip. My plan was to use something heavy to zero so i wouldnt be adjusting constantly for fliers. I have access to a Blue Star donuts as well as a Krispey Kreme donuts, your call :)

I go just down the rd from me, neighbors property. It's solid and flat for 50, or 100, 200, 500. I've got binoculars but they're only 10x so .22 holes are hard to see past 50, but no one else is shooting so we can just walk and look. When were you thinking? Mornings are best before the wind picks up. I'll message you my number and you can let me know there.

Bryan

Totally new to AR's. Built one and now i need to zero it at 50 yards. I have gear/stands/sticks/targets etc. just no idea what I am doing and need a second man/spotter.
Shoot gun at paper.

Walk to paper, see hits.

If you are hitting left but aimed at center. Adjust optic left.

At 50 yards you are basically 1/2 of the adjustments. So if your scope Is 1/2 moa per click, which is roughly 1/2 inch at 100 yards. That would be 1/4 inch at 50 yards. If your hits are 2" to the left at 50 yards, adjust 8 clicks left. Shoot again. Repeat until zeroed.

Honestly, I understand not wanting to do this yourself, but at the same time why the hell buy this stuff if you had no intention to learn how to use it correctly?

No you don't. Literally take the upper off the lower, remove the BCG, set the upper on a stable surface and look through the barrel. Then without moving the upper, adjust your sights to be on the item/target/rock your barrel is also looking at when you look through the barrel. This is called "bore sighting" and it is incredibly easy, and it works every time. If you do this at 50 yards it will be close enough you can make finer adjustments easily afterward. If you do this at 30 ft, it will work, but you'll have more adjustments to make once you get it set for 50 yards.

Also: youtube "how to zero a rifle" - this is not complicated.

Honestly, I understand not wanting to do this yourself, but at the same time why the hell buy this stuff if you had no intention to learn how to use it correctly?
Maybe because sighting in a new AR can be a pain in the bubblegum? Maybe because they want to meet some *friendly* and *helpful* local shooting enthusiasts? Remember what your mom said. If you ain't got nothing nice to say...

The hard thing I find in zeroing iron sighted ARs is adjusting the damn front sight post. It can be helpful to have a spotter who can see the teeny little .22 sized holes in the paper while you futz with the adjustment instead of stopping, calling cold range, walking down to the target, taking a picture of it, walking back...

If you are hitting left but aimed at center. Adjust optic left.

At 50 yards you are basically 1/2 of the adjustments. So if your scope Is 1/2 moa per click, which is roughly 1/2 inch at 100 yards. That would be 1/4 inch at 50 yards. If your hits are 2" to the left at 50 yards, adjust 8 clicks left. Shoot again. Repeat until zeroed
Nope, you will run out of adjustment cranking your scope the wrong way as described above before you come around 360°

I like these for zeroing.
Calibrated for distance and even gives you the number of clicks.
I bore sight them at the house to get it close enough to not need a 4'x 8' sheet of cardboard.

I'm not a fan of trotting down to the target so I picked up a spotting scope for $75
Useful for gauging wind speed and direction also.

We use these targets for good feeback because they work every bit as good as the Birchwood Casey from BiMart at a fraction of the price. Really easy to see point of impact at 36 yard zero using Binoculars

Qty: 100 for ~$30.00

Splatterburst Targets - 8 inch Adhesive Stick & Splatter Reactive Shooting Targets

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top