JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey y'all. I have two expensive steel targets that I love and don't want to destroy: https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/raven-ar550-steel-target-stand/

The legs of the target stand are AR500 steel and the target itself is AR550 steel. The description says I can shoot this target at 50 yards using a rifle with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps or less. I have also read that impact velocities over 2800 fps will melt and pit even target steel. I have been shooting these targets for over a year with my AK and there is no apparent damage to the target, but the muzzle velocity of the 7.62x39 is only about 2400 fps. Now that I am building my first AR, I see that muzzle velocities for 5.56x45 are well over 3000 fps, sometimes 3200 fps or so.

My AR in 5.56 will have a 16 inch barrel with 1 in 7 twist. Can someone help me figure out how fast the bullets will be going at the muzzle and at 50 yards? Most common bullet weight seems to be 55 grain which is faster than 62 grain, but 62 grain usually has a partial steel core penetrator, so that's a no go. If the bullets are too fast even out of a 16 inch barrel, then does anyone know which ammo brands are a bit lower in velocity? Any information on this is appreciated! Thank you.

Hey y'all. I have two expensive steel targets that I love and don't want to destroy: https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/raven-ar550-steel-target-stand/

The legs of the target stand are AR500 steel and the target itself is AR550 steel. The description says I can shoot this target at 50 yards using a rifle with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps or less. I have also read that impact velocities over 2800 fps will melt and pit even target steel. I have been shooting these targets for over a year with my AK and there is no apparent damage to the target, but the muzzle velocity of the 7.62x39 is only about 2400 fps. Now that I am building my first AR, I see that muzzle velocities for 5.56x45 are well over 3000 fps, sometimes 3200 fps or so.

My AR in 5.56 will have a 16 inch barrel with 1 in 7 twist. Can someone help me figure out how fast the bullets will be going at the muzzle and at 50 yards? Most common bullet weight seems to be 55 grain which is faster than 62 grain, but 62 grain usually has a partial steel core penetrator, so that's a no go. If the bullets are too fast even out of a 16 inch barrel, then does anyone know which ammo brands are a bit lower in velocity? Any information on this is appreciated! Thank you.
It's not going to drop much at 50 yards. You may have to buy specific brands or handload.

Graph-3-55645-vs-76239-1024637.png

I use MGM steel and shoot it up to 15 yards with no backsplash, and no damage to the steel.

I use my High Desert Cartridge loads that run around 2,875

Speed kills even armor plate...a 22-250 will sizzle right through it.

I use MGM steel and shoot it up to 15 yards with no backsplash, and no damage to the steel.

I use my High Desert Cartridge loads that run around 2,875

Speed kills even armor plate...a 22-250 will sizzle right through it.
Really? I have one of those…. Got some 36 grn varmint grenades up to 4200fps. But not too much. Try and keep the barrel as long as I can. Just a BCA AR10 upper. Buts still friggin RAD to have one.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews