JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've come to the conclusion that it may be time to move on!

I thought perhaps someone here may have a recommendation for having my resume professionally done (preferably in the Portland area). Of course I've checked online & in the yellow's, but thought I'd check here as well.

Thanks in advance for any direction on this!

Wifey

I really like the website Resumecompanion.com it is pretty easy and straight forward. It costs about $30 a month but you can make some really nice resumes. With a little reading and some creative playing you can make an extremely powerful resume for a fraction of the cost most professional companies charge.

If you decide to do it yourself (this is true even if you get it done professionally), make sure to customize the resume for each separate job posting you are applying to. Specifically, you want to include key words and other terms and/or abbreviations specific to the job description or industry. Recruiters get thousands of resumes and are increasingly using software programs to rank the resume relevance. Then they pick the top X resumes and conduct a preliminary phone or email interview before inviting a handful of candidates for in-person conversation. The company I work for gets 300 thousand resumes annually. It is impossible to give consideration to all candidates unless you automate the initial screening.

Another tip that has worked well for me is to only highlight or underline words or phrases that you want the recruiter to take away after a a quick few seconds scan. Most recruiters do not even read the resumes unless it looks intriguing after a quick glance. Good luck.

If you decide to do it yourself (this is true even if you get it done professionally), make sure to customize the resume for each separate job posting you are applying to. Specifically, you want to include key words and other terms and/or abbreviations specific to the job description or industry. Recruiters get thousands of resumes and are increasingly using software programs to rank the resume relevance. Then they pick the top X resumes and conduct a preliminary phone or email interview before inviting a handful of candidates for in-person conversation. The company I work for gets 300 thousand resumes annually. It is impossible to give consideration to all candidates unless you automate the initial screening.

Another tip that has worked well for me is to only highlight or underline words or phrases that you want the recruiter to take away after a a quick few seconds scan. Most recruiters do not even read the resumes unless it looks intriguing after a quick glance. Good luck.

Was just about to reply with the exact same advice. This strategy has served me well. The only thing I can add is to do your homework on the company. Knowledge is power...

I appreciate everyone's input on this.
Am I just way out there with this? I am not yet applying for any position/ company as I have a job now. I think it is a good idea to have the resume done and just walk into each establishment, ask for the Manager, introduce myself and give them my resume. I've been with this company for so many years that I guess I don't know how to proceed.
As I would not specifically be applying for a posted position, am I on the right track? Hunting?

Thanks again for your input.

Wifey

Depending on the type of work and position, your strategy may or may not work. I think introducing yourself to the hiring manager is a great idea, but jumping through the "gatekeepers" may be difficult. Additionally, some establishments do not appreciate unsolicited contacts. Again, it really depends on the type of work.

The kind of work I am in, it is impossible to walk in and talk to the hiring manager. I job hunt exclusively online and through my personal and professional network, which I find is the most effective way to land a new job. Good luck.

If you are working, think long and hard about quitting. This is not a good time for a job search. I know a guy with a BA in electrical engineering. engineering He thought it was time to move on too. Two years latter and he is still unemployed. There are a great many people looking. Wages are low because employers have so many people to choose from

If you are working, think long and hard about quitting. This is not a good time for a job search. I know a guy with a BA in electrical engineering. engineering He thought it was time to move on too. Two years latter and he is still unemployed. There are a great many people looking. Wages are low because employers have so many people to choose from

This can't be true. Obama says the economy is humming right along. And if he said it then it must be true.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top