JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

So...long story short, I bought an Evo a while back. Later on I bought a Fastfire 3 to put on it.

The sights on the Evo are removable with 2 allen screws on each that clamp to pickatiny mounts. The front came off fine. The rear sight has one stripped screw. I cant get it. I tried the hex / star wrench, rubber band, you name it.

I don't have a drill / bit that will drill it out. Any other ideas?
index.jpg

Last Edited:
Try a stripped screw extractor and some penetrating oil (i.e. Kroil).

Apply heat to the threaded end of the screw (if the EVO receiver (or sight) isn't poly.

If you don't care about the sight, take a hack saw to it.

If the extractor fails, or if you want the sight intact, or you can't heat it up, you'll have to drill out the screw head and push it through to get the pic-clamp off.

If you want to try the Dremel route to cut a slot in the screw and you need to borrow one, I have one you can use - along with some cutting discs.

As you guys were replying I was actually doing just that. I don't know why I didn't think of my dremel before today. I'm an idiot, I was stuck on how to drill the screw out for some reason.

Stompers post made me think about a couple cutting tools I have for my dremel and then it occurred to me to just make the screw a flathead instead of a philips.

Thanks for the help everyone!

20160319_075651.jpg

This issue DID educate me on the fact that I should probably invest in a decent striped screw adapter though, the allen screws have a tendency to strip easy it seems.

This issue DID educate me on the fact that I should probably invest in a decent striped screw adapter though, the allen screws have a tendency to strip easy it seems.

Every time I run into this problem, I think the same thing, yet I still haven't bought a screw extractor set. Need to just do it one day. Good work on getting that out.

I usually heat it with a heatgun and use the next size up torx bit. Heat it up good, tap the bit into the damaged splines. Unscrew and enjoy!

Or just take it out on the vertical mill and plunge mill the head off:D

This thread reminded me of the time I was desperately trying to get a new starter cord wound up on a small chainsaw.
If any of you have tried to do this by removing the starter cord pulley and manually winding up the recoil spring tight and then trying to insert it back into the saws side cover, all the while trying to get the wound up spring to hook on the center shaft and insert the new cord through the case and up through a hole in the pulley it's darn near impossible without the spring and pulley slipping between your fingers and having the spring whip out slice and your fingers to the bone.

A neighbors young son watched me try this for over half an hour and ten band-aids later, he finally piped up and said, "Why don't you insert the cord, tie a knot and then pull a loop of the cord up through that notch on the pulley and just wind it around and when it gets tight enough, pull the cord handle until the loop pops back inside the pulley."

Pure genius from a ten year old.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads