JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_20210817_115452.jpg

When your shoes match your bag.

Colt f'ed up with that expanse line, it certainly didn't do anything for their reputation.
From my limited knowledge of it, that was Colt's answer to low-end competitors. I believe there were several iterations of the Expanse line, and likely they were using up excess parts inventory as another cost containment measure.

Here's a little company history of Bold Ideas, a Colt subsidiary that made the Expanse rifles:

What I don't get is if they were intended for civilians why was it stamped restricted law enforcement / military use? Who were they even selling them to?
I can think of a couple of possible reasons. (1) They had some left over lowers with that imprint on them. (2) Marketing reasons, some people get their jollies out of having something that says they shouldn't, even if not true. The ones I've seen for sale new in gun shops were not being restricted as to buyers. The Colt "Tactical Carbine" AR15A3 had the restricted imprint; I bought it new in Fall, 2011, well after the federal ban was over.

Colt has made so many AR15 variations over the years, and variations within variations, it's a job to try to keep it all straight.

From my limited knowledge of it, that was Colt's answer to low-end competitors. I believe there were several iterations of the Expanse line, and likely they were using up excess parts inventory as another cost containment measure.

Here's a little company history of Bold Ideas, a Colt subsidiary that made the Expanse rifles:

This is very good information. Thank you.

I can think of a couple of possible reasons. (1) They had some left over lowers with that imprint on them. (2) Marketing reasons, some people get their jollies out of having something that says they shouldn't, even if not true. The ones I've seen for sale new in gun shops were not being restricted as to buyers. The Colt "Tactical Carbine" AR15A3 had the restricted imprint; I bought it new in Fall, 2011, well after the federal ban was over.

Colt has made so many AR15 variations over the years, and variations within variations, it's a job to try to keep it all straight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top