JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a box of some vintage ammo at a garage sale recently. There are some here that I cannot identify.

The first two here are the same length as 30-06. One (with smaller primer) is FMJ and has F A 43 on the headstamp. The second (larger primer) has is a jacketed bullet with lead tip and has R A 43 on the headstamp.

unknown.jpg

The second group here on stripper clips is possibly the same length as a 45-70 or 7.65 ARG MAU (according to my Lyman E-ZEE case length gauge). They are FMJ (brass, not copper) and have I MMA P B || 1947 || on the headstamp.
unknown2.jpg
unknown3.jpg
Finally, we have two very different bullets. The smaller one appears to be the same length as a 32-20. Headstamp is L C 54. The second seems to be the length of an 8mm Mauser with K .DWM. K 528 on the headstamp.
unknown4.jpg
unknown5.jpg

Any of these worth anything to anyone? Trades?

I have a couple questions regarding a headstamp too:

DAG93L0404

DAG is traced to the location in Germany, though the rest is unknown to me.
Unknown caliber, unknown cartridge size.

Military headstamps often just give the date and maker. The intended users seldom have any near identical cartridges to get confused about, so cartridge ID isn't needed. For example, US military brass in WWII had only the arsenal and year, so it would be possible to have very different cartridges (30 Carbine, 30-06, 45 ACP, 50 BMG, 20mm, 40mm, etc) with identical headstamps. None would be confused by the user with any other.

But years later, in a different situation, we need measurements to identify cartridges.

Base diameter
Shoulder diameter
Neck diameter

Body length
Neck length
Overall case length

Bullet diameter, if possible

Here is a good place to start when you have measurements. Metric calibers are at the bottom of the page.
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Bruce

Appreciate it BCP.

I compared the round to my 300 Sav and it's very close to the same size, slightly taller case and longer bullet.

I'll see if I can get a caliper sometime soon to do a fair measurement.

Thanks again!

Did the OP ever get his sorted out?

I think the first two are 30-06, and the primers are the same size, the swaging just makes them look different.

I assume you measured just the case with the case gage? 308 win/7.62 NATO has pretty darn close to the same case length as 45-70. 45 is too early for .308 though, I think. 7mm Mauser has a slightly longer case, you could measure the bullet diameter and have a pretty good guess. (.308" vs .284")

The smaller one in the third looks like probably 30 carbine to me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top