JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the description of this very brief article, it sounds like she was a straw buyer.

If you are simply buying guns to resell then it's not a "straw purchase".
To be a straw purchase the person has to be buying the gun for someone else. The criminal would give you the money, then you buy the gun for them. Just because she bought numerous guns for sale at a profit later isn't sufficient to prove a "straw buyer".
I can buy as many guns as I want and sell them later as long as I was buying them for me in the first place. If someone pays you to buy a gun for them, and you do and lie on the federal forms, then it's a straw purchase.

True about the straw purchases, but if she was purchasing the firearms for the sole purpose of turning profit then she would need an FFL. Thats where they would get her...

Did she buy them with the intent to profit from the sale of said firearms? Yes. Criminal? Yes.

Not to mention that, if you purchased the gun at a retailer and filled out the paperwork, there is a question you answer about the firearm being for your own use. Turning around and reselling it for a profit right away kind of proves you lied. The problem is she got greedy.

Anyone know the quantity/duration limits that cross the line of legality?

There are no specific ones. If I owned 1000 guns and sold them all tomorrow that is 100% legal since it is from my "collection".

In theory if I bought one gun with the intent to flip I could need an FFL.

The general phrase used to determine if you need an FFL is; "engaged in the business of buying and selling firearms". So basically if you buy and in a way that makes it look like you are conducting business you could be charged. Most people like to quote "for profit" but profit has NOTHING to do with it. The majority of guns I buy I intend to break even or make a profit on IF I decide to sell and there is nothing illegal about it.

Buying a single firearm with the intent to resell for profit violates the law, unless you are an FFL.

Unless you intend to support yourself by means of selling firearms then no, you do not need an FFL. I can go to the store tomorrow, buy a gun, walk out the door and sell it. No FFL needed. I purchased the firearm for myself to sell, and the income generated from that firearm is not anywhere near sufficient to support myself.

As Nwcid said, profit doesn't really play into the equation as much as the business like enterprise does.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top