JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am hoping that someone can help me out with a question on hearing protection. I use earmuffs with a nnr rating of 30db and foam ear plugs. At the range I’m still having trouble with the noise being to loud when other people are shooting larger caliber guns. I have done some research and it looks like there is no solution to my problem. I am hoping that maybe I can get some Ideas that I haven’t heard or thought of. I seem to be sensitive to high frequency noises, or the crack when the round goes off. I have no problems with 22 calibers.

Thank you
Mark

If you are already doubling up, and it is still loud enough to be considered 'too loud', then your limitation is going to be where you shoot.

I would imagine you are shooting at an indoor place? You may wish to try out an outdoor range, or perhaps go out on your own.

If your own shooting is too loud for you, you may wish to look into suppressors.

Me not dumb. But I have serious tinnitis for the rest of my life! I applaud your good sense in protecting your hearing, and especially "doubling-up" in protection.

I too have had shooting sessions at the range where some deafo concusses the atmosphere with a .44 Magnum. My solution was just to take a break and go outside---they can't keep it up for long without getting shellshock and homoginizing their liver! The range staff understood and did not charge me for my break time.......................elsullo :s0155:

I use a pair of EP-3 Sonic Defenders when I go out and it reduces the noise an incredible amount. I'd believe that the EP-4 would make things too quiet these things are so good!

This is firing a Mosin Nagant while next to a CETME. If you double up with a pair of these then you may find a comfort zone.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/accessories main/surefire_sonic_defenders.htm

Note that those are only the EP3.

There are many different styles and they don't all fit everyone. The brand you are using may not fit your head very well. Another thing is the foam that seals around your ears will break down over time. If the muffs you are using are fairly new and you believe the foam is on good shape then I would suggest getting another pair of a different style and see if that helps.

These are a model I have really liked but they are pretty big.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=412072

The plugs have the same fit issues as the muffs. If you are not using the foam ones you should try those also.

It may be worth a visit to an Audiologist and talk to them about options like custom plugs. there are some new materials out now that are supposed to be more comfortable then the older stuff. Custom should around $75 maybe less.

bill johnson shooting supply out of federalway washington travels to most oregon trap clubs especially this time of year.his wife makes custom earplugs they insert cotton into your earcanal then she then fills your ear with some sort of rubber after it sets up she removes them from your ear.there an exact fit to your ear they fit so well there water tight.ive had mine for ten years and they still work perfect

I would agree with these guys look online or ebay and get the highest DB reduction ear protection, stuff them with cotton, and just like the girl you met a bar, double up.
Also like others have said going outdoors and in the open is best. The sound will disperse rather than reflect all around you.

I went shooting with some friends and my buddy shot his 50 cal hand cannon next to me before I could get my ear phones on and I thought I was deaf for life!
Good luck

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my thread. I plan on give all the sugestions a try. I would like to know from the moderators if I should close this tread or leave it open

Thankyou
Mark

We tend to not close threads on this forum, except in the classifieds. So just leave it open, someone might have a decnet comment to make in a while

The real solution is to get a set of instamold custom-fitted ear plugs as one of the prior posters above suggested. The ones that have liquid plastic injected into your ear canal and set up. The company I got them from was E.A.R.

http://www.earinc.com/

I have had a set of these for almost 15 years and they are still pliable and comfortable to wear. At the Albany MG shoots I have stood next to 20mm cannons shooting with no discomfort while wearing these plugs. Also they are the most comfortable ear plugs I have ever had. I can wear them 10 hours a day for days running and have done so on several occasions.

No other form of ear protection even comes close for effectiveness and comfort. I've tried a bunch of others.

They are your long-term final solution. I don't know what they charge for them now, but whatever it is, its dirt cheap when you amoritize it out over 20 years of use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top