JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had a pair of Howard Leight slim electronic muffs for years and they have been mostly good. The problem is on some rifles they get in the way when trying to get the proper sight picture. I purchased a set of these and so far so good. They are far superior to my old muffs in all ways except they are harder to put on properly. With practice they are not too bad though.

Have a couple pairs of Howard Leight. Seem to work great although when indoors I use foam plugs too with them.
Year or so ago I bought a pair of these:

Recommended by one of the mods here. They are pricey but damn they are nice. Paired with my phone I use them when mowing the lawn and such to listen to radio or music while doing this. At range with muffs over them I can easily hear talking and even know if someone tries to call me.

I have had a pair of Howard Leight slim electronic muffs for years and they have been mostly good. The problem is on some rifles they get in the way when trying to get the proper sight picture.
Amen to that. Some rifles I have to shoot with ear plugs because the muffs make it very uncomfortable (and inaccurate).

Have a couple pairs of Howard Leight. Seem to work great although when indoors I use foam plugs too with them.
Same set-up. I also double up. It makes a difference with unsuppressed SBRs or .30 cal rifles w/ muzzle brakes.

Same set-up. I also double up. It makes a difference with unsuppressed SBRs or .30 cal rifles w/ muzzle brakes.
Mandatory with my .50, that thing will leave you ringing with just plugs. Still pretty loud with both though I can't find a reliable decibel rating I'd guess mid 170s as I've seen short .308s with brakes at the upper 160s

Year or so ago I bought a pair of these:

Recommended by one of the mods here. They are pricey but damn they are nice. Paired with my phone I use them when mowing the lawn and such to listen to radio or music while doing this. At range with muffs over them I can easily hear talking and even know if someone tries to call me.
If that were me, I'd be constantly hitting the "call reject" button.

I spent the past few months going back and forth over all the different options, my budget was pretty much open, ended up with the sordin supreme pro x with the gel cups. I experienced some major hearing loss after some idiot blew off a 9mm 3 feet from my right ear, it was one of the most depressing and defeating things ive ever been through and after that I realized your hearing is worth every dollar there is in the world. So far the sordins have been phenomenal in every aspect, extremely comfortable, I can hear better with them on then without, the sound is so natural you constantly forget they are even on, ETC I could go on forever about the positives. My runner up was the peltor comtac 3s, but those are almost twice the price and focused a lot on the coms system. Whatever route you choose I'd recommend gel cups, you'll never go back. As for the slimness, I have had no problems firing weapons from the shoulder with them, but if you want even slimmer they make a slim version for around 50 dollars more.

I commonly use those walker silencer earbuds. I'll second swapping out the ear cups with gels. You get a much better and more comfortable fit for prolonged wear. They don't get in the way of anything and do a great job allowing normal sounds through... actually... can even enhance sound pickup for those of us with, "I was young and dumb once that thought I was too tough to wear ear protection while shooting" -itis.

Mine might be an outdated model, but these are they.

I have to admit I don't really use the bluetooth feature other than to fine tune the setting and then pretty much leave them alone. The phone app isn't required for use. I don't listen to music much, but I did try it once and think if that's your thing, they are pretty crappy for that. Sound only comes out of one ear. Maybe newer models have improved that capability(?)

As sound protection goes though they are great! Heavy calibers and prolonged shooting though I still use muffs doubled up with foam plugs. The buds aren't "magic". ;)

I am mostly a rifle shooter, so I really like the Otis Ear Shield for two reasons:

OTIS.jpg

1) They don't interfere with your cheek weld on the rifle stock
2) They don't use batteries so you're not stuck if the batteries die in the field / at the range

I don't use ultra slim due to not enough noise reduction. The highest rated Walker or 3m ones everything sounds the same (minimal) no matter what you are shooting. I mistakenly bought some Walker 22db thin ones and they are completely worthless Imo. Even with leaf blower they are worthless. Just not worth it to me to mess with anything except for the ones that really work at reducing noise.

What is the best recommendation for ultra slim electronic hearing protection?
Personally i like the razor slims (digital) and Sordins, with gel cups. They are pretty low profile and comfortable. But if you really need to cut down on bulk around the ears, In ear protection may be the way to go. I have had no issues with the surefire earplugs.

Hi,
I'm looking for an excellent Ear muffs for indoor target shooting. The one that I use the last time is probably not good. The sound was reverberating and my ears were ringing afterwards. I saw some comments here that it is better to get one and replace the cups with gel. Would you recommend this one? I just saw it in the ads that I can reach close to me. Thank you..

Overview
Compact and highly effective, 3M Folding Earmuffs deliver excellent hearing protection when you're on the job and fold up neatly when the day is through. Designed with comfort in mind, these protective earmuffs feature soft ear cushions and a padded headband, while the adjustable design helps accommodate every member of your crew. Whether you're jackhammering or completing a weekend project at home, count on the ear protection of 3M Folding Earmuffs.
Specifications:
Mfg Stock No:90563H1-DC
Manufacturer:3M
Brand:3M
Feature:Folds up neatly for compact storage when not in use; Helps protect against harmful noises that are at 85 dB and above; Noise Reduction Rating NRR of 25 dB; Padded headband for comfort; Pivoting cups to help ensure a good fit

3M FOLDING EAR MUFF

1698418541957.png

Last Edited:
Hi,
I'm looking for an excellent Ear muffs for indoor target shooting. The one that I use the last time is probably not good. The sound was reverberating and my ears were ringing afterwards. I saw some comments here that it is better to get one and replace the cups with gel. Would you recommend this one? I just saw it in the ads that I can reach close to me. Thank you..

Overview
Compact and highly effective, 3M Folding Earmuffs deliver excellent hearing protection when you're on the job and fold up neatly when the day is through. Designed with comfort in mind, these protective earmuffs feature soft ear cushions and a padded headband, while the adjustable design helps accommodate every member of your crew. Whether you're jackhammering or completing a weekend project at home, count on the ear protection of 3M Folding Earmuffs.
Specifications:
Mfg Stock No:90563H1-DC
Manufacturer:3M
Brand:3M
Feature:Folds up neatly for compact storage when not in use; Helps protect against harmful noises that are at 85 dB and above; Noise Reduction Rating NRR of 25 dB; Padded headband for comfort; Pivoting cups to help ensure a good fit

3M FOLDING EAR MUFF

View attachment 1749432
I always double up indoors. So I can hear when I want to use in the ear Bluetooth protectors under a good set of muffs. The in the ear protectors are great for other stuff too. Like when I am mowing the lawn and such I use them so I can listen to the radio or such and keep the noise of the machine away from my ears.
If you don't want the more expensive just use the foam plugs with muffs over them.

I always double up indoors. So I can hear when I want to use in the ear Bluetooth protectors under a good set of muffs. The in the ear protectors are great for other stuff too. Like when I am mowing the lawn and such I use them so I can listen to the radio or such and keep the noise of the machine away from my ears.
If you don't want the more expensive just use the foam plugs with muffs over them.
Hi.
And thank you for the quick reply. Yes I just want dead silent on indoor target. I already have a very slight ringing from playing music and I just dont want to go beyond. I will try both plugs and cups together.So do you think that specific 3M I posted would work right together with the ear plugs?

Can you guys please speak up I can't hear you!! After having a suppressor blow up in my face my hearing has been f'ed. In my line of work there isn't alot of time for ear pro.....I just put plugs in when shooting at the house and sometime double up with muffs

Can you guys please speak up I can't hear you!! After having a suppressor blow up in my face my hearing has been f'ed. In my line of work there isn't alot of time for ear pro.....I just put plugs in when shooting at the house and sometime double up with muffs
This last few indoor shooting is really killing me. I'm not sure if its the bullet or the gun. It sounded like a C-4 blowing up in my face not to mention the gun shells are backfiring towards me. That thing is really hot especially when I'm wearing collared shirts. :s0130:

This last few indoor shooting is really killing me. I'm not sure if its the bullet or the gun. It sounded like a C-4 blowing up in my face not to mention the gun shells are backfiring towards me. That thing is really hot especially when I'm wearing collared shirts. :s0130:
I've only shot indoors once and it was a suppressed 22 so I didn't use ear pro. But when other people showed up it was unbelievable loud in there. It was just to get a 22 dialed for a project in Utah, I won't shoot indoor ever again!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top