JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you ever used a weapon in self defense

• No

Votes: 99 81.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Yes and it was a concealed carry weapon.

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Have you ever used a gun/weapon in self defense of yourself, others, or property.

In particular I am interested in any forum members that conceal carry.

Police and Service members need not reply unless you have an off duty experience.

I have no agenda, I am just curious.

I voted no.

define "used"... fired? drawn but not fired? displayed? etc

I've reached, but not drawn, and had that be enough.

Really long story short- 1 bum was lying on the ground while bum 2 kicked him in his head repeatedly.. i shouted "STOP!" and bum 2 turned around with a BIG bayonet in his hand and started toward me. i'm talking old-school WW1 style bayonet- the thing was at least 14 feet long.

i reached for my sidearm while shouting at him to "back up!" the moment he saw me reach, he turned tail and headed off across the street.

so i'd say i "used" my CCW gun in self-defense, but i didn't shoot nobuddy.

I'm not going to vote and skew your numbers, but I feel that every time I slip my gun in my pocket or strap on my holster and leave the relative safety of my house, I am defending myself.
I have never had to draw my gun for any reason. Hope I never have to. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

define "used"... fired? drawn but not fired? displayed? etc

I've reached, but not drawn, and had that be enough.

Really long story short- 1 bum was lying on the ground while bum 2 kicked him in his head repeatedly.. i shouted "STOP!" and bum 2 turned around with a BIG *** bayonet in his hand and started toward me. i'm talking old-school WW1 style bayonet- the thing was at least 14 feet long.

i reached for my sidearm while shouting at him to "back the f*** up!" the moment he saw me reach, he turned tail and headed off across the street.

so i'd say i "used" my CCW gun in self-defense, but i didn't shoot nobuddy.

I would say that is a yes.
By letting the person know you had a gun by reaching for it, that is just as good as pointing it at the person.

I voted no in the poll. I hope that I never have to pull my weapon out.

I would say that is a yes.
By letting the person know you had a gun by reaching for it, that is just as good as pointing it at the person.

I voted no in the poll. I hope that I never have to pull my weapon out.

===================================================

I agree, just the presence of the gun protected you. and so yes you did use it.

I'm not going to vote and skew your numbers, but I feel that every time I slip my gun in my pocket or strap on my holster and leave the relative safety of my house, I am defending myself.
I have never had to draw my gun for any reason. Hope I never have to. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I agree but I voted no because I've never had to draw on anybody.

I voted yes because while in the woods by myself I had a situation where I was threatened by a group of guys. when I took an AK 47 out of the trunk they looked paniced and took off. SO I guess again the presence of a gun detured them. I was scared as heck because I actually felt like I might of had to use it.

Interesting how 10% of the voters have used a gun/weapon in self defense of themself, others, or property.

I would of thought less, I realize it's not a real poll scientific like,,, still one out of ten will or could of used a weapon legitimately for self defense purposes.

Only 3% of the Population carries,,,,

I said yes, although I did not have to shoot it.

I was out in the woods camping with four friends sitting by a camp fire talking and about midnight five large calibers were shot off. We all ran behind the truck and one of our members had grabbed his rifle and started walking toward the bridge of which they were by outside there car. We were shouting at them the whole time. My brother and I had pistols but just small calibers (38 special and 22lr) and we were definitely uncertain what was going to happen. Anyways once they saw our friend they got in there car and drove off. They were about 100 yards away.

When we got over to investigate we saw no brass and saw one of the reflective signs was shot five times. So I would say a revolver. They probably didn't know we were there but still it was a tense moment. Because of that I now come more prepared. First time I ever had something like that happen to me. It was not a fire fight but still it had us acting in self defense.

I voted No.

But I had an incident once were I was not carrying. I had a gentleman covered in blood...no kidding-head to toe. He came at me and stopped maybe 5 feet away. Talking gibberish, while spitting blood. I told him to get back, repeatedly. His hands were fisted and he acted like he wanted to fight. He took one more step, I reached like I was carrying and he saw that. He took off the opposite way.

What scared me the most is his blood. There's a lot of things out there and the only blood I will ever touch is mine. (without proper safety gear). Also he didn't look right, maybe high.

so, if three percent of the populace carry, and twelve percent here have stated they've somehow used their weapon in defense (even if it was not fired, or even taken to hand.. and in one case was phantom) that tells me this group is NOT typical of the general population.

But I already KNEW that....... though its fun to prove it.

4 times
City Withheld 20 years ago
1. Road rage incident, guy followed my car to a red light, got out and started pounding on the car window with a tire iron. Took a look at the business end of a S&W 66 and got right back in his car and peeled out.

City Withheld 13 years ago
2. Road rage incident, guy followed my car home. Never left his car as I made my way to my apartment with a Beretta 85F pointed at the ground.

City Withheld 12 years ago
3. 10 year old urchin in a very bad neighborhood knocked on my window with a 25 auto, "gimme your money honkey!". I dropped my map and showed him 357 dollars and he pissed his pants and ran away.

Seattle 8 yrs ago
4. 7AM walk with wife to ATM a couple blocks from the hotel. Nasty looking guy with his hand in a bag, concealing an obvious weapon stopped and considered us for 20 seconds. He got a look at a Glock 27 and a can of Mace (wife), and turned the other way.

Thanks God I've never had to pull the trigger, but it's comforting to carry in a bad world. Withheld cities are due to 5th amendment issues and IP logged.

Only been carrying for a few months and have never had a threatening situation that required and self defense. I think part of the reason a large(ish) percentage of people on here have used their CW as a deterrent has to do with location. Several people have said they were out in the woods, forest, camping or the like. Most 'normal' people don't know what the outdoors are. Camping to them consists of an rv park. I live on the coast and have friends who have had situations where things could have gone bad. People have pulled up to a friends campsite off a logging road and started firing shots apparently in a harmless direction if that's possible in the middle of the night. My friend fired a shot in the air with his pistol and told them to take a hike. They complied. I will not go out in the forest without at least one firearm, preferably two:s0155:

Twice I thought that I may have to use a weapon in self defense and presented that weapon.

#1 While handgun hunting deer, miles from any residence I was approached by two unfriendly looking dogs. One a shepard mix and the other a rottweiler. (I've had large dogs for most of my life and am not "afraid" of them) I drew my hand gun, cocked and aimed it while yelling at the dogs. About the time the lead dog reached what I had determined was the point that I would shoot, he stopped and they retreated.

#2 Hunting elk in eastern Oregon. I was confronted by a few wild horses. The lead male was stomping the ground and snorting at me from a distance of about 40 yards. I stopped moving and put the safety on fire. After a few tense moments of this, they took off on an angle that actually had them coming by me. I raised my rifle to aim it, but then realized I wasn't going to need it.

Neither time I had to shoot, but I was glad I had that option.

I, too, never go in the woods without a gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top