JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you ever used a weapon in self defense

• No

Votes: 99 81.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Yes and it was a concealed carry weapon.

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
Now you are freaking me out... I thought Portland was bad and moving to Grants Pass be better :)

Of all the time I've spent in Portland I've never gone past the "I have a bad feeling about this" stage.

The times I've drawn on another human were in Klamath Falls, and Grants Pass. Both were probable meth addicts in towns known for crank problems.

The time I drew on an animal was a guard dog on a pot farm that I accidentally found while hiking near Eagle Point.

I voted "no" before I read the thread.

I pulled a CCW and killed a rottweiler while on a walk on a county road. He had gotten loose and was after my azz for sure.

I pulled it and used my presence to literally help protect a LEO until backup arrived. He was in a bad neighborhood at night, surrounded by punks who were circling him in a noisy, threatening way. He was about 50' from his squad car.

I walked right in with my gun drawn telling the officer I was there help him. I stood back to back with him for a couple of minutes until a whole bunch of noisy squad cars started arriving in a big hurry.

I never saw a weapon on any of the perps. There were just several of them menacing, that's all. I drew my gun because the LEO had drawn his, so I took the hint.

BTW, I never got checked for a CCW. I just got asked for ID and a statement. I also got thanked.

Was I scared? Yes.

Wow. I am glad that worked out for you. I would be afraid of being labeled a bad guy and shot...

Naw, I was talking to him the whole time - before I reached or drew. I told him, as I approached what I was about. I look a whole lot different from those punks who were there, believe me.

I pulled a CCW and killed a rottweiler while on a walk on a county road. He had gotten loose and was after my azz for sure.

I pulled it and used my presence to literally help protect a LEO until backup arrived. He was in a bad neighborhood at night, surrounded by punks who were circling him in a noisy, threatening way. He was about 50' from his squad car.

I walked right in with my gun drawn telling the officer I was there help him. I stood back to back with him for a couple of minutes until a whole bunch of noisy squad cars started arriving in a big hurry.

I never saw a weapon on any of the perps. There were just several of them menacing, that's all. I drew my gun because the LEO had drawn his, so I took the hint.

BTW, I never got checked for a CCW. I just got asked for ID and a statement. I also got thanked.

Was I scared? Yes.
That is an AMAZING story. So extraordinary it's... unbelievable.

Was I scared? Yes.

That is an AMAZING story. So extraordinary it's... unbelievable.

You don't believe I shot a rottweiler? I'm not going to let you get me upset, sorry. ;)

I have had my CHL for 5 years now and I never had to take it out, shoot it, or anything like that and I hope I never have to fire it. Showing it to get someone to back off is another thing lol I kinda wanna do that someday when it is called for. But anyways........ If I had my license and did carry sooner, I have been in situations when I wold have had it out because I remember once I was walking home early morning and I had 7-10 guys fallowing me and talking to me, a few said that they knew karatee or something like that, and that is as good as them having a bat or knife so.....and one time 2 guys came up to me and one hit me in the back with a bat.......... then it would have been on....... so NO I never pulled it out and or fired my gun.......... never want to but if needed I will not think twice........ just be smart and don't try to be a hard if you feel the need to bring it out of the holster...... BE SAFE all yous lol.

SO I GUESS I SAID SOMETHING I WAS NOT SUPPOSE TO SAY ON HERE AND I GOT FLAGGED.......... CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I SAID ABOVE TO QUALIFY FOR A FLAGGING? I didn't use bad language and last time I checked there was this thing called FREEDOM OF SPEECH some of you may have heard about that............. anyways just expressing my opinion and if you don't like it then maybe you should skip and read the next thing on here.......... just saying, not trying to stir stuff up........

Last Edited:
Twice.

Once in Northern California I took some Russian friends out for a picnic and shooting session on BLM land near Clear Lake. We were parked on the side of a fire road eating when four slightly crazy acting, very sweaty guys pulled up in a Suzuki Samurai. None of them were wearing shirts, and they all piled out way too fast for comfort. Did I mention that the girl with us was smokin' hot and wearing a halter top? Well, now you know.

These guys just sort of swarmed us, all asking crazy questions. Turned out they were immigrant Bulgarians who took offense upon discovering that my companions were Russians. Things were getting very tense when I slipped a Ruger Blackhawk out from underneath a towel and casually took a shot at a rock on the side of the road. Abrupt about faces by all four, they piled back in the Suzuki and were gone in a blink.

Second time was in Seattle. My wife and I came out of the IMAX theatre on the waterfront and were climbing the stairs up to the open air mall. She was sort of dizzy/woozy from watching the big screen, and I was supporting her as we climbed. A "transient" type was observing us, and waited until we were mid-way up the steps before making a way too fast approach with an ugly look on his face. I guess we looked like apt victims.

I don't know what he wanted but my hackles were raised, so I stopped and reached for a Smith J-frame. He very obviously recognized the motion 'cause he did a similarly abrupt about face and couldn't get down the stairs fast enough. No words spoken, no gun drawn, it was all eye contact, but I had the upper hand and he saw it immediately.

Got two kids now. You can just bet I am trying to be observant. I will never get into another spot like the sweaty Bulgarians again. Way, way too close.

Otony

I have only been carrying for a few months, never had to use it, draw it or even let somebody know I had it. I have only been in one situation where it would have helped and you can read about that on the Full Auto shoot this forum had in december when some people got a little rude with us as they blatenly broke the law and were shooting past us and over a road(illegal) they then got upset as people told them the law and many forum members had guns in their hand, the hillbillies left and we had our fun full auto shoot.

In 1980.

I was a process server in Yakima. Late one evening I drove past a guy beating on a woman in the street. It looked ike a pimp beating a professional woman if you get the idea. She was screaming for somebody to help her.

I pulled over about 100 feet past them and got out of my car. Hand in my windbreaker pocket holding a cocked RTF beretta .25 semi auto. I approached them about 50 feet back and yelled at him to leave her alone. He immediately turned toward me and apporached pulling a knife. I was ready to triple tap him at fifteen feet. at about 20 to 25 feet the professional woman started screaming at me to mind my own @#(^%&^ business.

I said something about her choice and walked away, got in my car and drove on to my next assignment.

The bully was five to ten feet from his grave before his woman started telling me to *^%$# off.

I voted yes. He never saw the pistol as I do not brandish. I could have voted no as easily.

I voted yes, however, this happened way back in 1980/1. I had just fired my AR15 and was getting ready to ride my dirt bike. I had laid the AR against the trailer, and the kids and wife were over by the pickup. A 4 wheeler drove up with 3 guys and they looked at my wife, then at the AR, over to me, back to the wife and to the AR. They drove off. I told my wife the AR is empty BUT just leave it sitting against the trailer as it is the biggest deterent and will protect you should they drive back while I am out riding.
It worked.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads