JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you ever used a weapon in self defense

• No

Votes: 99 81.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Yes and it was a concealed carry weapon.

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
Twice I thought that I may have to use a weapon in self defense and presented that weapon.

#1 While handgun hunting deer, miles from any residence I was approached by two unfriendly looking dogs. One a shepard mix and the other a rottweiler. (I've had large dogs for most of my life and am not "afraid" of them) I drew my hand gun, cocked and aimed it while yelling at the dogs. About the time the lead dog reached what I had determined was the point that I would shoot, he stopped and they retreated.

I had nearly the exact same thing to me happen at Mt Adams. Although I was climbing and not hunting. You weren't at Mt Adams were you?

Yes, In the woods near Westport, Or. We were up there messing around and some drunk guys came up there and started harassing us. The guy said give me you shotgun I'd like to check it out and started walking creepily towards me. I pointed it towards him at the ready, said come and get it, and he stopped in his tracks.

define "used"... fired? drawn but not fired? displayed? etc

I've reached, but not drawn, and had that be enough.

Really long story short- 1 bum was lying on the ground while bum 2 kicked him in his head repeatedly.. i shouted "STOP!" and bum 2 turned around with a BIG bayonet in his hand and started toward me. i'm talking old-school WW1 style bayonet- the thing was at least 14 feet long.

i reached for my sidearm while shouting at him to "back up!" the moment he saw me reach, he turned tail and headed off across the street.

so i'd say i "used" my CCW gun in self-defense, but i didn't shoot nobuddy.

Similar story:
I was out with a friend of mine picking up a movie and food for dinner (errand for the ladies) - his 2 year old son was asleep in the back seat - he had to run into the store and ironically asked if I was carrying. Told him and so he left the truck running and ran inside. 60 seconds later this guy pulled up behind the truck, stopped, got out and came to the driver's side and started asking: "Did yo' boy throw bubblegum at my car??"

"My friend's (police), I don't think he's in the habbit of throwing anything at people' vehicles" was my reply as I reached behind my back and cocked my sig.

I offered to call dispatch and he decided that I was right,we didn't thow anything at his car.

I got to see a couple of things that my buddy learned at Acadamy on how to see if anybody is tailing you that night.

I guess that guy didn't us being in his "'hood" after dark.

i've had some really hairy situations where a gun was not involved- at least not by me, and not not AT me- in North Portland going to school a few years ago. At first I kept my sidearm in my backpack, thinking school, of all places, is fairly safe.. I quickly learned the kind of neighborhood i was in, however, and started keeping it on my hip. At one point, toward the end of my time at that particular school, it seemed there was a shooting almost every night, and within a couple blocks of the school. The shooting on the killingsworth overpass was about three blocks away, the shooting on mississippi was about one block away, the shooting at killingsworth and albina was 1 block from where i stood- all in like 2 weeks. these are just the ones i remember- there were a lot more that year.

i took a shortcut through one of the allys around the school one day, driving my mustang.. for some reason, all i had on me was a retard little beretta bobcat in 22lr, and in my back pocket. as i rolled into the ally, 2 huge homies walk out in front of my car, forcing me to slow down.. one rouded the car and walked toward my lowered window, both hands under his shirt in front of him, the other guy stopped directly in front of me. Homeboy at my window said, loudly, "SUP WIT YOU, N****?" Before he got another step closer, i went on ahead and stomped the gas, forcing the guy in front to dive or get hit... don't know what they wanted, but i'm sure it wasn't a light.

the shooting at albina and killingsworth broke out as i was crossing the street from the public safety building to the parking lot at about 11pm... i heard about 5 or 6 shots from something big, followed by 4 or 5 from something smaller.. i ran up behind my car just as all these homies come sprinting through and tires start squeeling all over the place. i cant remember if i drew or not- i'm pretty sure i did not, but i at least had my hand on the grip for a bit, till i felt it safe enough to get in my car and go.

i freaken hate the city.

i freaken hate the city.

Me too and I was in North Portland yesterday, Albina in fact north of Lombard. I was carrying but there were no issues at all. Funny as soon as we got in town i told Caleb my Step Son to lock his door... He though i meant when we got out I told him "no right now! We're in North Portland son and I don't want to be inviting a car jacking." He locked his door promptly after I said that. :s0112:

I can't even stand driving the freeways through Portland. After these 'close calls' I've read on this thread I will definitely DOUBLE my efforts to avoid the city. A town of 400 people is plenty big for this hill billy:D

Last Edited:
Interesting how 10% of the voters have used a gun/weapon in self defense of themself, others, or property.

I would of thought less, I realize it's not a real poll scientific like,,, still one out of ten will or could of used a weapon legitimately for self defense purposes.

Only 3% of the Population carries,,,,

In defense of property?

=======================================================

Yes, absolutely, I consider using a gun to protect your property as a legitimate use of a fire arm.

Be careful with that one. It can get you in a lot of trouble. If they are on your property in the middle of the night and your fearful is one thing but you can't use it if some one is kicking out your tail light unless you can prove your life or somebody elses life is in danger.

Don't draw unless you intend to fire ever! and you better be sure that it's necessary.

=======================================================

Yes, absolutely, I consider using a gun to protect your property as a legitimate use of a fire arm.

Not defending the criminal here, but let me get this straight, you're saying you would end someones life because they stole a stereo out of your car or some other couple-hundred dollar possession? aside from the criminal consequences, I think that is something you would regret for the rest of your life.
We get mad as **** when we are violated, and we work hard for our money to buy our stuff, but ending someones life over it? to each his own I guess.

Not defending the criminal here, but let me get this straight, you're saying you would end someones life because they stole a stereo out of your car or some other couple-hundred dollar possession? aside from the criminal consequences, I think that is something you would regret for the rest of your life.
We get mad as **** when we are violated, and we work hard for our money to buy our stuff, but ending someones life over it? to each his own I guess.

to me, "defending property" means the physical property itself- if someone is trespassing on your property, you have absolutely no idea why. you simply know that they are committing a crime, most definately intending to commit a worse crime, and they're doing all this in YOUR backyard/house/shop/etc. i wouldn't blast someone just for walking onto my property, but my trigger finger's itch would go way up.

personally, i believe we absolutely should be ending people's lives for stealing "property" from your property. kill someone over a TV? absolutely. two reasons: one, deterrence.. two, and more importantly, because if someone is ballsy enough to enter your property to take your property, they're most likely ballsy/stupid/desperate enough to do you harm. I, for one, will never cower in my closet with 911 whispering in my ear while someone rifles through my stuff- i'm gonna be grabbing the m4 w/ 120 lumen surefire and putting an end to someone's suffering, before my kids or wife get raped and/or murdered.

just be glad Oregon has no "castle doctrine" laws, if you're opposed to killing people over property.

i have compassion for some criminals- i'm a Christian, and believe in helping those in need, and in forgiveness. but my home is off limits.

Be careful with that one. It can get you in a lot of trouble. If they are on your property in the middle of the night and your fearful is one thing but you can't use it if some one is kicking out your tail light unless you can prove your life or somebody elses life is in danger.

Don't draw unless you intend to fire ever! and you better be sure that it's necessary.

================================================

I'm not saying to kill someone for kicking in a tail light or for stealing my TV. I think jsut confronting someone with a my gun would probably be enough to get them to desist. I have things worth protecting, Grandpas watch, my dog, maybe my guns.

And I could always just knee cap the perp.

Are you saying that I do not have the right to defend my property?

Sadly, the laws in WA and OR allow the use of lethal force ONLY in situations when one's own life/phisical safety, or that of another, is in immediate perceived danger from a specific threat. Inn other words, some creep kicking in my taillamps not knowing I'm present does NOT qualify. Now, when I confront the perp and order him to stop, my gun not yet presented, and he turns to do me bodily harm, the situation instantly changes. And the law is clear, my PERCEPTION of his threat of bodily harm is all it takes. Say he's got a hammer and is doing in my taillamps... a hammer, used violently, is certainly a lethal weapon, and I have the liberty to apply MY lethal force.

Ideally, I will merely accost him, order him to stop and stand by... one slight move toward me and out comes the gun. NOW I can use that if he continues.... I can order him to wait for law enforcement, at which point I will turn him over to them... provided he complies with my orders to cease and wait. He continues to move, its now MY turn, and I can shoot, to kill even (though, depending on the person, I may elect to disable first shot).
Now supposing I see him from an upstairs bedroom window.. he outside, me safely inside. Same hammer, same job on my car. I can NOT fire out the window at him as he violates my personal property. No, I have to wait until he is an immediate perceived threat to my person, or those with me. Sneak out the back door, come on him quietly, maintaining safe distance, then accost him.

Interesting, too, that law enforcement, Brinks, bank guards, can shoot to kill on the mere possibility of someone violating the property (money) in their care, or the care of another. But WE can't. I thought the COnstitution ennumerates our right to be secure in our person AND PROPERTY, both against government and private threats. We've had severe restrictions on protecting our security in our property.

Sure, I don't agree with killing a man for taking my TeeVee (I'd never miss it....) or microwave. BUT-- his physical presence inside my home to take them, I would likely perceive as an immediate threat to my security in my person. However, if I'm out in the yard and observe him beating feed down the driveway to the street carrying my telly, he is no longer presenting an immediate threat to my person. I can't fire at HIM. Not positive, but I think I can fire a warning shot, say, into the ground, hope he stops in fear of his own life, and hold him for the cops. Epecially on MY property, where it is a legal shooting zone (why, officer, I was justs shoooting at a mole I saw, he must have felt guilty and stopped.......)

================================================

I'm not saying to kill someone for kicking in a tail light or for stealing my TV. I think jsut confronting someone with a my gun would probably be enough to get them to desist. I have things worth protecting, Grandpas watch, my dog, maybe my guns.

And I could always just knee cap the perp.

Are you saying that I do not have the right to defend my property?

You do have the right to defend your property, I would.

As for bkb's response. I'm saying killing someone for stealing something off your car or something out of your shed borders on lunacy. Killing someone over a piece of electronics puts you in the same class as those who trample people at walmart during black friday.

I will not cower in my closet either, my home is off limits, home invasions are an entirely different scenario.

Sincerely

I was apartment mgr at a complex 190th and stark (rockwood),was making my last rounds when i heard a comotion at the back,i called for my friend who was doing armed security at the bar next door. When we got to the rear of complex found two black male teenagers trying to kick in a door,i yelled at them to stop and they turned towards me,i already had my springfield champion out but @ my side when they started forward pistol came up and laser came on,even with laser on the leader's chest they still came forward. They were about 15' away,i told them last warning but it wasn't until i thumbed the safety and moved my finger to the trigger did they hit the ground. Gresham PD showed up 30 seconds later and arrested them. Both had knives and needles,the only reason i didn't shoot was because they didn't pull a weapon. That's as close as i've come as a civilian.

i've had some really hairy situations where a gun was not involved- at least not by me, and not not AT me- in North Portland going to school a few years ago. At first I kept my sidearm in my backpack, thinking school, of all places, is fairly safe.. I quickly learned the kind of neighborhood i was in, however, and started keeping it on my hip. At one point, toward the end of my time at that particular school, it seemed there was a shooting almost every night, and within a couple blocks of the school. The shooting on the killingsworth overpass was about three blocks away, the shooting on mississippi was about one block away, the shooting at killingsworth and albina was 1 block from where i stood- all in like 2 weeks. these are just the ones i remember- there were a lot more that year.

i took a shortcut through one of the allys around the school one day, driving my mustang.. for some reason, all i had on me was a retard little beretta bobcat in 22lr, and in my back pocket. as i rolled into the ally, 2 huge homies walk out in front of my car, forcing me to slow down.. one rouded the car and walked toward my lowered window, both hands under his shirt in front of him, the other guy stopped directly in front of me. Homeboy at my window said, loudly, "SUP WIT YOU, N****?" Before he got another step closer, i went on ahead and stomped the gas, forcing the guy in front to dive or get hit... don't know what they wanted, but i'm sure it wasn't a light.

the shooting at albina and killingsworth broke out as i was crossing the street from the public safety building to the parking lot at about 11pm... i heard about 5 or 6 shots from something big, followed by 4 or 5 from something smaller.. i ran up behind my car just as all these homies come sprinting through and tires start squeeling all over the place. i cant remember if i drew or not- i'm pretty sure i did not, but i at least had my hand on the grip for a bit, till i felt it safe enough to get in my car and go.

i freaken hate the city.

Let me make a guess.... you are talking about Cascade Community College :) I went there for my first year of college and it was in 1997 he he he right when they just brought the PD to the getto. I think most of the Thugz from the Ghetto carry Glock 17 or 19 ha ha ha j/k

I lived in NE Portand over 20 years, before all the PD move into MLK and Killingsworth. I used to get beatup when I was a kid at the woodlawn park just because I dont belong there. But I am glad that I never have to pull my firearm on anyone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top