JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Has your county modified CHL/CPL license processing due to CV-19?

• Yes, new licenses.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Yes, renewals.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Yes, both!

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • My location doesn't issue such a license.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Um, eh, (bromp!) wut wuz duh ques'n again?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
After attempting to Renew by mail (printed their renewal form from their website) Clackamas county emailed me that they do not accept mail in renewals and were returning my application and $$. Confused by that one.
After a phone conversation, since mine expired years back they do not have my picture on file and would get back to me with a solution after they ran this past their Captain. Got a call a couple days later that because their office is closed they would not be able to take my picture therefore I will need to wait until they open to the public.
Not really the Solution I was hoping for.
As far as having an "Updated System" I feel they're missing on one cylinder.

After attempting to Renew by mail (printed their renewal form from their website) Clackamas county emailed me that they do not accept mail in renewals and were returning my application and $$. Confused by that one.
After a phone conversation, since mine expired years back they do not have my picture on file and would get back to me with a solution after they ran this past their Captain. Got a call a couple days later that because their office is closed they would not be able to take my picture therefore I will need to wait until they open to the public.
Not really the Solution I was hoping for.
As far as having an "Updated System" I feel they're missing on one cylinder.
You let your CHL expire years ago? Why are you renewing now all of a sudden?

Uhhh, cause I want to have a gun with me in these "crazy times " and know I'm legal.
Do you carry?
If so why?
IDK man I'm not carrying because I'm panicking about covid. I'm personally worried about all the jumpy people suddenly carrying. Anyway if you got yours years ago and are just renewing in the middle of a pandemic maybe give CCSO a break? They have a right to a safe working environment free from unnecessary risk.

IDK man I'm not carrying because I'm panicking about covid. I'm personally worried about all the jumpy people suddenly carrying. Anyway if you got yours years ago and are just renewing in the middle of a pandemic maybe give CCSO a break? They have a right to a safe working environment free from unnecessary risk.

My Sheriff department does a fine job. It's to bad there isn't anything they can do to help me unfortunately.
I fully understand the underlying conditions. I get that.
I am here contributing to a conversation which pertains to this particular topic. That's it.
And just to be clear, I am not someone new to gun's freaked out in a panic to all of a sudden thinks they need to carry a gun amidst a pandemic.
I grew up with guns in every room of our house. We are avid hunter's as well. Currently, most of my firearms are kept in a safe.
I carried a gun while my family was young. I let it go but would feel a little comfort if I could at least have one in my vehicle and be within the law.
Hopefully that's good enough.

My Sheriff department does a fine job. It's to bad there isn't anything they can do to help me unfortunately.
I fully understand the underlying conditions. I get that.
I am here contributing to a conversation which pertains to this particular topic. That's it.
And just to be clear, I am not someone new to gun's freaked out in a panic to all of a sudden thinks they need to carry a gun amidst a pandemic.
I grew up with guns in every room of our house. We are avid hunter's as well. Currently, most of my firearms are kept in a safe.
I carried a gun while my family was young. I let it go but would feel a little comfort if I could at least have one in my vehicle and be within the law.
Hopefully that's good enough.
I mean you insinuated they are dumb by saying they are only firing on one cylinder. I worked closely with CCSO for years and out of all the LEOs I've run with they are some of the best. Don't blame them for your bubblegumup.

I mean you insinuated they are dumb by saying they are only firing on one cylinder. I worked closely with CCSO for years and out of all the LEOs I've run with they are some of the best. Don't blame them for your bubblegumup.

Read it again.
I insinuated their "New System" wasn't as efficient as some other departments.
I have several friends and acquaintance's who work for CCSO. All great people.
There are other Departments accepting mail in renewals, no current photo's etc.
Yeah, you're right. If I hadn't waited till their offices were closed this would be a non issue.
To bad the system couldn't access my photo from DMV or my one year old Passport.
I'll live with it.
Again, if I never contributed anything to this discussion about how your County is processing CHL's then I wouldn't be here.

Some here may also have a Utah permit to enlarge the sorely limited footprint of an Oregon card. Easy to renew online for $25.75.

I'll post back here with the timeline once my renewed Utah arrives.

Never replied to my own post before, but I guess it's relevant here. Got my renewed Utah CFP today.

Submitted online 4-10-2020 with credit card and uploaded selfie mug shot.
Issued 4-16-2020
Received new ID card 4-25-2020
That's pretty darn quick!

This was for RENEWAL ONLY (including a change of address). No idea how long anything else might be taking there, so YMMV.

Last Edited:
My wife is looking to get her CPL here in King County but upon checking the courthouse website, it states that new applications are still not being accepted. I will call my local precinct tomorrow to inquire, but does anyone know of any alternative options for conforming? Has anyone had any "official" conversations in recent weeks?

My expired in September, so, as with past years, I renewed early. This time it had to be mailed in due to the pandemic. It was easy-peasy and received the new CHL in a little over a week.

So, I checked the site of our local sheriff because I'll need to renew my CHL before fall of this year. They no longer are processing or issuing new licenses, but are handling renewals via post and email. I called and left a message asking to confirm what all they'd need mailed in. Those looking for a new license are, evidently, SOL.

Has your county modified CHL/CPL licensing?
Washington County renewed mine via email and mail. They made it easy.

My Sheriff Dept. just opened by appointment for fingerprints and photographs.
They need my photo. Appointments being taken for December.
I was lucky to call after a cancellation and have an appointment first week of August.

Yes it does.....I just renewed. Same kind of license Oregon has. Hard plastic with picture like a driver's license

It must vary by county. I just received my renewal 2 days ago and it's a plastic credit-card style without a photo. This replaced the laminated paper of my previous CCW. I'm in Snohomish County.

In Snohomish County (North side of greater Seattle), they've stopped accepting CPL requests at the regional Sheriff's offices. One can still apply or renew at the Courthouse in Everett, WA, but the hours are reduced to between 1000am and 200pm.

You can do it completely online as well. It took about a month for mine to arrive in the mail after submitting everything online. I never had to step foot out the door, other than to retrieve it from the mailbox.

We're in Skamania county. When I got mine years ago it took a couple months. My wife just got hers a few weeks ago. From start to finish I think it was two and a half weeks for her, I was amazed. Also, hers looks kind of like a drivers license but no picture, where as mine looks like a library card.

Realizing that my WA CPL expires in January 2021 I searched this forum but didn't see much in updates, post-covid. I'm in Seattle and the SPD website indicated that their service desk for fingerprinting is closed. I put in a call and a very helpful SPD rep emailed me a web link:

https://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/training/652007.pdf

Print Application.​
Make a Copy of your Washington State ID, front and back as well as your current Concealed License Front and Back.​
Mail the Concealed Pistol Application, the Copy of your current CPL and ID as well as a Check for $32 made out to City Of Seattle to:​
Seattle Police​
610 5th Ave​
Seattle, Wa 98124​
Attn: Public Request Unit/Firearms Desk​
** Please note that if your license is 90 days or less expired, there is a $10 late fee​
UPDATE: the renewed CPL arrived in the mail from Seattle Police Dept within 14 days pre-laminated and shiney

Last Edited:
Recently renewed my CPL in Mason County, totally online! Was painless and received my plastic laminated copy in about 4 weeks including transit time. Was about 7 days from approval notification to actual receipt.

Had to renew mine (marion county), was done by mail, got my renewal in later than I wanted, with a week before it expired, got it back in less than a week in early March.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top