JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Has your county modified CHL/CPL license processing due to CV-19?

• Yes, new licenses.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Yes, renewals.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Yes, both!

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • My location doesn't issue such a license.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Um, eh, (bromp!) wut wuz duh ques'n again?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Multnomah Co. is processing renewals via mail (instead of in-person) but not handling anything that requires a visit (such as for a photo for a new CHL). I was able to send a check last week for a renewal and got a receipt in the mail Saturday that claims I should get my new card within 45 days. See their COVID-19 info here. Based on their FAQ, this mail-in renewal option is similar to their process for renewals for deployed military members -- so it's an alternate process they already had in place.

LOL. You will have to let us know if they cash your check.

Yesterday I received a voicemail from Clackamas County CHL office returning my voicemail that they are now processing renewals only online. The office is not open but the are checking voicemails and email. They are waiving the need for new photo's and will use the photo on hand.
I just emailed to let them know that I had mailed my renewal with payment included to the Sheriff office that was open at the time since their office was closed.
Waiting for response.

I'm having the same issue. I never gave much thought about carry,but now i feel like its a good idea. For me...USCIS isn't processing, so I cant declare intend to become a citizen, and the Sheriff's office isn't doing new applications either in Wash Co. Its especially bad because I am in Beaverton and am not even allowed to open carry. So...where is my right? Doesn't "bear arms" mean "to carry them"?

Washington County Sheriffs Office:

Concealed Handguns

Shooter_1.jpg
UPDATE AS OF 3/19/2020 - Due to public health restrictions related to COVID-19 Concealed Handgun License is CLOSED. Renewal applications may be submitted through the mail. Updates will added as information is available.

Last Edited:
I'm having the same issue. I never gave much thought about carry,but now i feel like its a good idea. For me...USCIS isn't processing, so I cant declare intend to become a citizen, and the Sheriff's office isn't doing new applications either in Wash Co. Its especially bad because I am in Beaverton and am not even allowed to open carry. So...where is my right? Doesn't "bear arms" mean "to carry them"?
Are you a visa holder or here by marriage? I believe that all you need that all you have to do is show intent to apply for citizen or green card status. It looks like they are shut down for now, but check the link on the sheriffs office website I posted above. Quote from their FAQ's:

"who has not met the conditions of application. You are also ineligible for a concealed handgun license if you are not a US citizen, unless you are a legal resident alien who can show documentation of continuous residency in the country for at least six months, and have declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship. You must be able to provide proof of the written declaration. "

Are you a visa holder or here by marriage? I believe that all you need that all you have to do is show intent to apply for citizen or green card status. It looks like they are shut down for now, but check the link on the sheriffs office website I posted above. Quote from their FAQ's:

"who has not met the conditions of application. You are also ineligible for a concealed handgun license if you are not a US citizen, unless you are a legal resident alien who can show documentation of continuous residency in the country for at least six months, and have declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship. You must be able to provide proof of the written declaration. "

Marriage. I'm a legal resident alien.

Oh yeah, I have to file N300, pay $270 and wait for receipt (which is proof of my intend). I have it all ready to go but no point in sending it out when they don't do anything with it. It was my new years resolution to get that Ball rolling on this... and now this Corona happens...

Marriage. I'm a legal resident alien.

Oh yeah, I have to file N300, pay $270 and wait for receipt (which is proof of my intend). I have it all ready to go but no point in sending it out when they don't do anything with it. It was my new years resolution to get that Ball rolling on this... and now this Corona happens...
Oh ok, similar to my wife's situation. Have you tried emailing the Sheriff and explaining your situation? He is the issuing authority and may grant an exception. Things are screwed up everywhere right now but it's also a good time to try something unconventional. You never know.

I can tell you exactly what the renewal process for Marion County Oregon is. Yesterday I received a Notice in the Mail from the Sheriff with a notice that at this time renewals would be ONLY handled via US Mail a check for $50 made out to MCSO and a completed application form (included with the notice) mailed to the address given. And that my new CHL would be mailed out to me.

To give you an idea on the timing. My permit expires on May 11 I received the notice Mar 25
Same here. Mine expires in June and mailed in my renewal this morning.

Marion County Oregon is all via USPS for now. My wife dropped the envelope in the mail April 5, the Sheriff's office processed April 8 and I received my new CHL in the mail today, April 10. Kudos to the Marion County Sheriff.

HOWEVER, since we are not being required to show up for photo, the new CHL has a 4 year old photo and signature. If they had nothing else to do they could have lifted the new signature off the applicaton. :rolleyes:

Clackamas Counrty just opened to process renewals only. Two weeks ago I mailed the Sheriff a renewal application with a check. They called yesterday telling me they are not processing by mail, online only and are returning my app and payment. WTH?
It's been several years since it expired and with the online process they require your CHL #. I don't have that....again awaiting their response.

Oh ok, similar to my wife's situation. Have you tried emailing the Sheriff and explaining your situation? He is the issuing authority and may grant an exception. Things are screwed up everywhere right now but it's also a good time to try something unconventional. You never know.
Yes I have emailed their office. They were very helpful and all but still require all the correct paperwork.

Yes I have emailed their office. They were very helpful and all but still require all the correct paperwork.
I'm sure that they have been overwhelmed just like all of the other Sheriff's agencies regarding concealed permits. Hopefully things will settle down soon and the processes everywhere will return to the normal hurry-up-and-wait. Hang in there.

Clackamas Counrty just opened to process renewals only. Two weeks ago I mailed the Sheriff a renewal application with a check. They called yesterday telling me they are not processing by mail, online only and are returning my app and payment. WTH?
It's been several years since it expired and with the online process they require your CHL #. I don't have that....again awaiting their response.

Mayhaps they updated there system since you last got yours.

Dunno.

Jackson county upgraded to a new digital system, so prints and pictures are online (for them).

Got our transfer into the new system when we moved from Marion county.

Our renewals can be done via mail. No way to do it interwebs, other than scheduling for new folks.

got my renewal emailed in 3/27 followed up with phone call same day, a temp in the mail following monday and the new printed/photo'd card came in the mail 3 days ago.
Way to go yamco!

Multnomah Co. is processing renewals via mail (instead of in-person) but not handling anything that requires a visit (such as for a photo for a new CHL). I was able to send a check last week for a renewal and got a receipt in the mail Saturday that claims I should get my new card within 45 days. See their COVID-19 info here. Based on their FAQ, this mail-in renewal option is similar to their process for renewals for deployed military members -- so it's an alternate process they already had in place.
I sent an app in for an address change and got my new license in about a week. Very fast processing time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top