JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're set on a handgun, then go with a .22 LR. It's cheap to feed, low recoil, low noise (relatively) and Ammo is everywhere to be found (currently).

Make sure you go with a solid manufacturer. The browning buck mark, and Ruger Mark series have been around for decades, and will probably be for many more.

For those afraid of him doing mag dumps, just make him load 1-2 cartridges at a time into the magazine. That's what I do with all of my students when they're first learning the proper fundamentals of handgun shooting.

I shot since I was around 4. I had my first pistol at 14. It was a .22 buckmark. It is a great pistol. Now I had shot many times and demonstrated a great deal of safety.

I have not really taken an official safety course. I was trained by my grandfather. I had many times shot a 9mm.

I started with a semi auto. It was fine. I would recommend a .22 first.

@Pete F Thank you. Decided on a Ruger Mark III. For Christmas, he will most likely figure out what is coming for his birthday. Christmas gifts include the gun safety course, he and I will be doing together, along with eye and ear protection. Christmas morning we are heading out to Leavenworth, WA for a few days of fun. He chose to have us open gifts during the drive.

@Pete F Thank you. Decided on a Ruger Mark III. For Christmas, he will most likely figure out what is coming for his birthday. Christmas gifts include the gun safety course, he and I will be doing together, along with eye and ear protection. Christmas morning we are heading out to Leavenworth, WA for a few days of fun. He chose to have us open gifts during the drive.
Very cool!

Nice that you are going to my birthplace. I was born there under 13 feet of snow. Hope he has fun with the Mk III and there is nothing better than a gun safety course to keep everyone safe target shooting. Don't forget ammo:rolleyes: Happy Holidays

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top