JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First, presumption of the cognition and maturity of the OP's offspring hasn't even been brought up. Remember, Lanza, shooter in the Sandy Hook incident, who, from a young age was diagnosed with significant & multiple MH issues, was allowed by his sole caregiver, mother, access to numerous firearms to shoot over this young lifetime. However, as recently shown, apparently the caregiver was in denial of/ignored the warning symptoms of the violent severity his mental state had descended to.

Second, with only two (2) posts to this august forum, the OP's competence regarding their knowledge/skill/attitude in the use/handling of firearms is completely unknown! [interesting to note the "OP" used the appropriate term of GIFTING which the majority of citizens wouldn't be familiar with.]

So what is extremely fascinating is that members are spouting their rightous commentary on history [was quite interesting btw]/which firearm/caliber/fed statutory-but not state specific/teaching philosophy/etc to the tune of three pages worth, to someone who has absolutely no tracked history out here.

This wealth of suggestions might be exemplary to give to those family/friend/acquaintances you have personal contact with but to espouse to an unknown entity who professes to want to give a firearm to their young minor child of unknown maturity/behaviour on their second post - really?

That may be. However, there is nothing wrong with people here on this forum offering advice and suggests from the position of assuming that this parent is aware of their childs competency and maturity and as the parent have the sole responsibility of making that decision.

If we stopped and added a legal disclaimer to every post like this, no one would come here.

For example, when I posted about my new reloading press... No one should have to stop and say that reloading is dangerous and go on about safe storage, max loads and lead exposure before making their comment.

Again, I think it is assumed that we all know the 4 rules and other basics... and likely assumed that it would be covered as well in the 'firearms safety course' OP mentioned. Plus the question was on what hardware is recommended not "how do I teach my kid to shoot"

While I completely agree with your point... thats not to say that we're a bunch of blockheads for simply answering the question posed by the OP

Again, I think it is assumed that we all know the 4 rules and other basics... and likely assumed that it would be covered as well in the 'firearms safety course' OP mentioned. Plus the question was on what hardware is recommended not "how do I teach my kid to shoot"
I don't assume any such thing. Especially when the OP's question suggests that he is asking the wrong question. If someone asked me which brand of cigarette is the best to smoke while pumping gas, I would not answer that question. I would instead answer the much more compelling question of whether it is a good idea to smoke while pumping gas.

I don't assume any such thing. Especially when the OP's question suggests that he is asking the wrong question. If someone asked me which brand of cigarette is the best to smoke while pumping gas, I would not answer that question. I would instead answer the much more compelling question of whether it is a good idea to smoke while pumping gas.

We should probably outlaw private gun ownership altogether.... I mean after all, that gun in the home is more likely to hurt a family member, right ???

Putting a handgun in a teens hand is not the same as taking open flame to flammable material.

Sorry you feel the way you do ... But you may be shocked to know that kids handle handguns all the time without incident.

My whole point was that someone asks about something that is almost always harmless... There's nothing wrong with answering their question...

Go nanny all the other posts while you're at it.

We should probably outlaw private gun ownership altogether.... I mean after all, that gun in the home is more likely to hurt a family member, right ???

Putting a handgun in a teens hand is not the same as taking open flame to flammable material.

Sorry you feel the way you do ... But you may be shocked to know that kids handle handguns all the time without incident.

My whole point was that someone asks about something that is almost always harmless... There's nothing wrong with answering their question...

Go nanny all the other posts while you're at it.
I started shooting handguns at age five. I've used one to save my bacon three times plus saved a woman from being raped once. However I don't think it is a good idea to give a green kid a handgun as his first gun. The fact the OP was thinking in terms of a first gun training course at the same time as gifting the apparently inexperienced kid with a 9mm handgun suggests to me that this is not a good situation.

We don't know if it's his first gun. Only his first handgun.

So really none of us know what is going on. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

Again, I was only defending the 3 pages of commentary and sugfedtions to the OP.... And that it's okay to just answer his question without having to lecture him about it.

As someone who started with hand handguns at age 5, I'd wager it was pretty close to one of your first experiences with firearms. I don't know many 5yr olds who became accomplished riflemen by kindergarten... So even you can see that it's not inherently a bad thing.

Yeah but, you're like a 100 years old. Things, and people, were different back then. I mean, the kids needed to help protect the cabin from the Indians, and buffalo stampedes, and other stuff. :s0131:

:s0140:
That's funny...:D
One day in class , one of my students wanted to play Rock , Paper and Scissors ...I said I couldn't....
When he asked "Why"....
I said : "I never learned how...When I was a kid paper and scissors , hadn't been invented yet....:eek::D
Andy

That's funny...:D
One day in class , one of my students wanted to play Rock , Paper and Scissors ...I said I couldn't....
When he asked "Why"....
I said : "I never learned how...When I was a kid paper and scissors , hadn't been invented yet....:eek::D
Andy

Man, I can't believe you took this long to get to this! You must have a real job! :D

We don't know if it's his first gun. Only his first handgun.

So really none of us know what is going on. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

Again, I was only defending the 3 pages of commentary and sugfedtions to the OP.... And that it's okay to just answer his question without having to lecture him about it.

As someone who started with hand handguns at age 5, I'd wager it was pretty close to one of your first experiences with firearms. I don't know many 5yr olds who became accomplished riflemen by kindergarten... So even you can see that it's not inherently a bad thing.
Yo Shibbershabber. Right. I just started with guns when I was five. Real skill must have come later. But I can't actually remember a time before I was a really good shot. But it was a special situation. My dad was Air Force, Army Air Force in those days. He trained Air Force recruits in small arms and hand to hand. So of course he also trained his wife and kids. One of the guns I learned on was his SW .38 Combat Masterpiece. This was the sidearm for pilots in those days, apparently. This was while the army had the 1911 .45. For pilots, a gun was needed not just for self defense against humans, but also for survival if the pilot crashed in the wilderness.

The OP doesn't seem to be around. But in his absence we can all enjoy arguing with each other. Otherwise we would each have to sit here in our rooms alone arguing with ourselves, which can be disconcerting.

Last Edited:
Although I agree with many that a .22 LR rifle would be the way to go, bolt action or 10/22. Since you specified a pistol, a Ruger Single-Six Convertible would be my choice as a gift for a 15 year old. .22 LR for plinking and .22 wmr for a little more power for hunting. It is a keeper/heirloom gun that he could hand down to his kids. You just can't wear them out - I tried.

My first gun was a .303 British Enfield for a hunting rifle. The gun that I used the most was my Glenfield (Marlin) model 60 that I bought for myself at 13.

If I was going to give my son a gun I think I would give him a 38 special 4" revolver like a model 10 S&W. They are simple and a good place to start. I dont have a son but that's what I would do.

My son's first handgun was a Ruger Single Six 22lr. It is a high quality handgun that will last him 3 lifetimes. It's extremely accurate . Since it is a single action, it takes a deliberate effort to cock the hammer for each shot. No temptation to try mag dumps spraying bullets everywhere and teaches the need for deliberate aimed fire if you want to hit anything. With the hammer down it's safe to carry. I consider it the perfect handgun to start a new shooter with....

I want to thank you all for your time and effort into responding to this. I/We have taken your suggestions to heart and read each response carefully. I do believe in this situation a .22LR would be a better fit. He has shot a gun three times. Albeit, as a freshman, he is hell wheels when it comes to the gridiron. At 14 years old, he is 5'8", 205lbs, can bench 245lbs, hex lift 400lbs+ and the list goes on. Extremely proud of him on and off the field and the growth the two of us will have through firearms is much to look forward to. Again, thank you all for your time and effort into responding. Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year. - Jace

The question was "first handgun," not "first gun." I learned on an inexpensive single shot .22 rifle, but with handguns started out with a K-framed S&W. Dad is gone now, so I've inherited both. One of my first "mistakes" at age 21 was a Browning High-Power. Beautiful gun, but I wanted to learn reloading. Revolvers are the way to start that.

There is no nicer action than a good old K-frame Smith. Dad's K-38 also has beautiful sights.

For someone with tiny hands (a 15 year old boy will not have tiny hands), there's always the J-frame Smith or even a Ruger Bearcat. I don't know what they cost these days, but a K-22 and a K-38 is a great pair. Not necessary, just nice. One of my "formative years" guns was an original Ruger Standard Auto, and I love .22's of all sorts. But for learning the basics, and carrying over into reloading, it's really hard to beat a K-frame Smith revolver.

Whatever it is, make sure it's something the lad really enjoys. Merry Christmas!

For Christmas, we are giving him the gift of a Gun Safety course. He is 14 years old, and will be 15 in February. For his 15th birthday we are planning on gifting him with his first handgun. As cautious/concerned parents looking for opinions, thoughts being a 9mm, something he can use for quite sometime and enjoy. Thank you all for you thoughts and a Merry Christmas to all!

Jace
My first gun for my 10th birthday was a little 22 single shot rolling block. The gun I put thousands of rounds through was a Hi Standard 9 shot revolver. I am currently looking for one now. 90% of the rounds were shorts, cheap and pretty darned accurate. This worked for me.

"For Christmas, we are giving him the gift of a Gun Safety course. He is 14 years old, and will be 15 in February. For his 15th birthday we are planning on gifting him with his first handgun. As cautious/concerned parents looking for opinions, thoughts being a 9mm, something he can use for quite sometime and enjoy. Thank you all for you thoughts and a Merry Christmas to all!"

I've not posted my opinions here before, and as such, will apologize in advance if I strike a nerve with anyone.

First thought; Gun Safety Course good; no great~

I grew up around guns. When I was a kid, back in the 50's, we had ranches down in the central part of California. East of San Jose we owned the back side of Mt. Hamilton, and further south we had the River Ranch just south of Salinas, and "the hills" west of Chular. We had guns hanging on the walls everywhere in the ranch houses. I was taught out of the gate, hands off unless invited. I obliged.

When I was little, I was allowed to "deer hunt" with my Gramps. I lugged a Win 1894 (sans ammo) that was as old as he was up and down the steep slopes. I learned firearms handling and safety early on without fear of an "accident". When I was ten, I was entered into the NRA marksmanship program and was able to use my mom's Remington 510 single shot .22 to hone my skills.

When I was a bit older, We made trips to the Nevada dessert to "ghost town", and I was given a Hi-Standard Double Nine (.22 single action revolver) to keep the rattlers at bay. The firearms safety that had been ingrained into me since I was old enough to say the word "gun", paid off.

I didn't own a semi auto until I was in my 40's. I now own a number of semis, but remain cautious and diligent, and am proud to never had a close call due to carelessness or immaturity. Personally, if it were my son, I'd suggest not going with a high powered semi auto out of the gate.

Give him time to mature. Like they say; baby steps. There will be time for him to move up the ladder in terms of gun ownership and responsible behavior.

Just my two cents. And that, along with a couple of bucks, will buy you a cup of coffee.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads